5 pt. harness for over 40lbs.

C

cidole

5 pt. harness for over 40lbs.

Hi!
I was wondering if anyone knows about any new or about to be released carseats that allow the 5pt.harness beyond 40lbs other than the super elite.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cindy mom to Noah

ADS
C

Caviller

Nothing definite...

Rumours are that Safety baby was to introduce their Airway in the USA. The international version goes to 50 pounds with harness. Supposedly, Combi was also to introduce a model. There may be others, but I've heard nothing definite.

For now, the Super Elite, Britax Laptop, Fisher Price Futura and E-Z On Harnesses are the main alternatives.

C

Cidole

Re: 5 pt. harness for over 40lbs.

Thanks Caviller,

I'm assuming all the seats you mentioned that are currently available have good safety ratings and you would recommend them.
How do you feel about the need for a 5 point harness vs. seat belt with booster after 40lbs?
Just curious
Thanks
Cindy

C

Caviller

Update-

As an update to my last post, the Combi model will apparently NOT be released in the USA.

As for the other seats, I think they are all fine. All pass safety standards and testing. If they fit your child and vehicle well, they should all be very safe.

The Britax Super Elite is apparently catching up with demand quickly, so maybe prices and waiting lists will drop soon. Also, it will apparently be replaced by a very similar model with LATCH later this year. As you know the SE goes to 80 pounds with a harness, though you are required to use a tether to achieve that weight.

The Laptop is also a bit hard to find. It goes to 65 pounds. It had the advantage of being very light and relatively easy to install. Much like any backless booster, the disadvantage is that it provides no shell for side impact protection and no head support if your vehicle does not have headrests.

The Fisher Price Futura is a nice model that goes to 60 pounds in a harness. I own one. The only real disadvantages to this model are that it is hard to find, and that it isn't as comfortable as some other models. The 5-point version can be found at high prices on ebay. The overhead shield version still can be found here:

www.kbtoys.com/w/l/snb.ht...0&formMap=

EZ-On Harnesses are also reasonable solutions. See:
www.ezonpro.com/

Boosters are fine for children 40 pounds and over, though the children should be mature enough to remain seated in the seatbelt properly. No squirming off to the side or putting the shoulder belt behind their back.

Overhead shield carseats get a lot of undeserved criticism. Indeed, they are not recommended for newborns and infants because the shield harnesses tend not to fit small babies tight enough, and because the bar is at head level. They are just fine for older kids, and the Fisher Price Futura 20/60 overhead shield seat is a very good alternative for kids who are over 40 pounds but not quite ready to be in a seatbelt.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC