Question Which Radian should I pick?

toby

CPS Technician
My partner crashed our 2005 Prius yesterday, with my cowmooflauge Marathon. Technically, it was a minor crash:

1.Vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site
2.Vehicle door nearest to child restraint was undamaged
3.There were NO injuries to ANY of vehicle's occupants
4. The air bags (if were present) did NOT deploy or open
5. There is no visible damage to the child seat.

but they're totaling the car. My partner drove the car away, but it drove funny. And she's a little stiff. Anyway, insurance said we should just buy a new carseat and bring them the receipt (I assume they'll keep the old carseat along with the car). So - I need to pick a new carseat, and quick.

I use my seat for a variety of children, all still rear facing. It's sporadic use, so I've been planning to eventually replace my Marathon with a narrower Radian. I like the lower profile too - less potential head bumps as I tuck the older kids in rear facing. And it would also be nice to be able to fold the seat when it's stowed in back. The weight of the seat doesn't matter as much because I'm not taking it on the plane, just in and out of one car, probably a 2010 Toyota Prius.

And the big question - which Radian? The older models seem to be on sale, since they're being replaced by the R100, R120, and RXT.

I'm leaning toward the R120 for $220, since it rear faces to 45 pounds and converts to a booster. But perhaps the R100 ($199) would be fine, since I don't have an infant? The XTSL seems more expensive, but I see one site that has them for $215. The best price I found on the RXT is $249.

And I have to say it's making me sad to bid farewell to the cow cover. The Radians are not nearly as amusing.

Thanks for the help. All these options are dizzying when one has to research quick!

Toby
CPS Tech and mom to Adam, almost 14 and hot to drive, and Claire, 18, and happy with the bus.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Since you'll have a variety of kids, I might spring the extra bucks to a 120 or RXT, in case you do have a 40 pound child that needs to ride in it, you wouldn't have to move it forward facing. The only difference from the 120 to the RXT are the headwings, so up to you whether you like them or not.

The booster function is less than stellar though, so I wouldn't make that a contributing factor to your decision - if you can find a good deal on a Sunshine Kids version, I would get it. The booster has a 50 pound minimum, and isn't going to fit the child much past the harness anyway, plus the belt guide is pretty sticky, it's nice in a pinch, but pretty unimpressive overall.

Definitely get an angle adjuster though - the Radian fits beautifully in the Prius center seat with the angle adjuster.

Pixels

Your partner was injured, so the Marathon does require replacement. Stiffness indicates muscle damage.

The Diono Radians have booster mode. I haven't been impressed by what I've seen in terms of their belt placement for the R100 and R120, and the shoulder belt gets hung up and doesn't retract on the RXT.

Other than booster mode and cover choices, the R100 is the same as the Radian65, the R120 is the same as the Radian 80, and the RXT is the same as the Radian XTSL.
Radian 65/R100 - 40 pounds RFing, 65 pounds FFing
Radian 80/R120 - 45 RFing, 80 FFing
Radian XTSL/RXT - same as Radian 80/R120 but with the addition of headwings.

toby

CPS Technician
Oh, that comparison is very helpful. I do want rf to 45. FF to 80 is probably overkill, and I've got boosters, so that's not a big concern. I didn't know I needed to purchase the recline items separately - that's very good to know.

Are the side wings for sleeping support or side impact protection? Are they a pain, or just a really good idea?

So far our insurance company is being very good about the carseat. But then again, I think it would be hard for them to argue that the crash was minor if they're totaling the car. And I agree - my partner took damage, so it definitely wasn't minor.

So the Radian 80SL rear faces to 45 pounds? I see one for $220, so I might go that way.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Oh, that comparison is very helpful. I do want rf to 45. FF to 80 is probably overkill, and I've got boosters, so that's not a big concern. I didn't know I needed to purchase the recline items separately - that's very good to know.

Exactly - there are very few kids that would actually fit in the harness by height that weigh 80 pounds - it's nice to have the option for the odd kid that would need it, but there's a very small percentage of kids that fit that bill.

Are the side wings for sleeping support or side impact protection? Are they a pain, or just a really good idea?

Both - but since there's no standard for side impact performance, it's hard to judge just how much of a difference they make in a crash. Since you're ERFing, the child is already far better protected in any side impact.

So the Radian 80SL rear faces to 45 pounds? I see one for $220, so I might go that way.

Yep! It also comes with an infant insert that can also be used as a head support up to a certain weight, I think, I can't remember the exact rules.

toby

CPS Technician
And then there's the carseat age issue. If the seats are virtually identical, but the Diono ones are going to be almost a year newer, and the insurance company will pay for either, I should probably go with the newer one, so it lasts longer.

Pixels

And then there's the carseat age issue. If the seats are virtually identical, but the Diono ones are going to be almost a year newer, and the insurance company will pay for either, I should probably go with the newer one, so it lasts longer.

Might be a year newer, might be a month newer. SKJP seats were made through August of this year; Diono seats started production in September.

mkmama

If you're going to have predominantly older kids RF'ing in it, I would personally skip the headwings and go with the 80SL. My 6 year old started getting his shoulders squished by the headwings quite awhile before he outgrew the harness -- he happily rode in the 80SL for at least 4-6 months after he started refusing to ride in the XTSL. Plus you cant use the headwings while you're using the harness in the bottom 2 slots (or is it 3, I can't remember off top of my head), so you really only get comfortable headwing use for about 1/2 the time the child would be in the seat.

Pixels

It's the bottom two slots. And my children both will have headwing use for much more than half the time they fit in the seat. My 10 month old DS is using the headwings, and I'm sure he will not outgrow the seat before he is two years old no matter how quickly he grows.

KaiLing

I wanted to reiterate, 2010 Prius will be much easier with the angle adjuster. Now that I've got one I won't do it without for children over 12 months in any of the three positions: it makes the front seats much more managable (since you can not touch the seats at all).

babyherder

I'd pick a cover you like on a 45lb rf seat and get that one. Its safe and you at least get a cover you like, even if its not cowmoo. I personally would pick a red or purple radian!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Hi Toby! :happy-wavehello:

Sorry to hear about the crash but glad she's not seriously hurt. (((HUGS)))

How old are these RF kiddos? If they're under 1 yr old - you might want something other than a Radian. If they're toddlers or preschoolers and don't mind being seated closer to 30-35*, then I say go for one of the new Diono branded seats.

toby

CPS Technician
Thanks for all of your help, everyone.

My Diono Radian 120 in Daytona (red, not orange) arrived yesterday. It was made 11/11, so it's nice and new. When I got home, I immediately sat down to read the whole manual and adjust the seat for an 18 month old (weekly visitor). I liked how everything had a place on the seat, but I did find it a lot more complicated than many of my previous seats.

I was not able to get an angle adjuster yet. Apparently they're out of stock almost everywhere. Diono tech support suggested a few places, but most of them were out of stock too. They think new shipments will go out at the end of January.

I installed the seat in our new 2010 Prius, and also in our 2006 Honda Civic. In both cars, I put it behind the driver, since we need the rest of the backseat for other passengers. Our drivers are pretty short - and the kids are tall! Just wait until all of your kids get taller than you are .... Anyway, I got a tight fit at the base in both cars. I added the rear facing tether, but even with it, there was a lot of movement at the top of the seat. I found that disturbing, although I assume it's fine?

I asked the Diono tech support if the seat can touch the front vehicle seat, and she said it was fine. I didn't find anything in the manual prohibiting it either. The Prius manual says to "Adjust the front passenger seat so that
it does not interfere with the child restraint system." but it's not clear to me if touching interferes. Anyone know? It certainly touches now.

And last and also least - I can't figure out how to rotate out the "armrests" on the side of the seat. They wiggle a little, but don't actually rotate outwards, so I can't get the cup holder attached properly. No biggy - I'm OK with no cup holder. But I'd like to be able to make the seat feel wider. Any advice?

Oh, and the insurance came through just fine. We brought the receipt and they wrote a check. We took the cover from the old seat, but left the seat, even though I wanted to recycle it. But one battle at a time!

Thanks again to all of you.

Toby

Attachments

• radianr120.jpg
    radianr120.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 16

Pixels

Check the airbag section of your owners manuals. Generally, Toyota prohibits anything touching the back if either of the front seats. I'm not sure on the Civic. Look for warnings about cargo pressing on the backs of the seats, hanging things, etc.

toby

CPS Technician
Found it! You were right, under the air bag section, not the carseat section.

"Child restraint systems installed on the rear seat should not contact the
front seatbacks."

I REALLY need that angle adjuster.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Found it! You were right, under the air bag section, not the carseat section.

"Child restraint systems installed on the rear seat should not contact the
front seatbacks."

I REALLY need that angle adjuster.

I'd probably order it from Amazon and just cross my fingers that it got there earlier than their 2-4 week estimate. Most of the stuff I've ordered from them gets there sooner than they estimate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC