Roundabout Installed Correctly???

Dillipop

I know you are planning to use a locking clip, but I would call Britax first and make sure they are still allowing it as a last resort. Also, are there any techs in your area that can help you with this install? Sometimes they can get a seat and seatbelt to work even after we've tried everything! It's probably worth at least looking into getting a tech to take a look at the seat and try to install it too.

ADS

skaterbabs

One phone rep may have said it's OK to use a locking clip, but you can't. Britax says no under any circumstances with any seat with lockoffs. Some techs I know had an in-service with a Britax rep and she confirmed that no, you can't use a locking clip period.

kile529

Ahhh! I knew it had to be too easy! lol Okay, well - I'll try the other capn's chair and see what I can come up with. Thanks a bunch!

abacus2

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like you only have the lap portion of the belt running through the lockoff on the Roundabout. Don't you need to route the lap and shoulder portion together under the closed lockoff to hold the seat tightly?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The only seat Britax allows locking clip use is the Regent.

Have you tried twisting the belt stalk to move it down to help with the angle of the latchplate?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
RE: locking latch plates

Quick test is to buckle the seat belt and pull on the LAP portion. If you have locking Latch Plates, the LAP portion won't move. If one seems not to be working, check another seating postion in the SAME row.

Seems like the Windstars I've seen have switchable retractors, but I'm not sure what years I've worked with. Try pulling the seat belt ALL the way out. . .you should hear a 'click' and then hear/feel a ratching as the shoulder harness retracts. [They also have a label on the very bottom of the lap belt portion.]

I'd go ahead and use the lock off - I think you only have to use the one AWAY from the seat belt buckle (which seems backwards to me, since locking CLIPS are supposed to be next to the buckle).

Another RF convertible "trick" is to recline the vehicle seat a notch or two. Buckle and tighten the CR and then move the seat back up to upright.

Kellyr2

I just checked the RA manual online and it says, "Position one or both sections of the vehicle belt through the rear-facing lock-off farthest from the vehicle buckle, then close the lock-off arm."

So, have you tried using both sections to see if using both would get a better install?

I have the locking latchplates and never trusted them until I really started playing with them. But with mine, I buckle, pull on the shoulder portion to get the lap part tight and it stays that way. BUT if slack is introduced, it does loosen. I can try to wiggle my seat and it stays solid, but if I actually pull on the shoulder section then the lap part will loosen some.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm guessing that bit on the RA lock off has GOT to be a misprint. It wouldn't do any good to have the lock off only on the lap portion, it's got to be holding both belts in order to keep it snug.

vatechgrad

My friend has a windstar, I believe same year, if not real close. She has locking latchplates. They are pretty nice. I prefer the belts you pull all the way out to lock but the locking latchplate is certainly easier then a locking clip.

I would have a tech check it out too, you may just be doing a tiny thing wrong to make it not work.

Janet

Dillipop

I'm guessing that bit on the RA lock off has GOT to be a misprint. It wouldn't do any good to have the lock off only on the lap portion, it's got to be holding both belts in order to keep it snug.

ITA! How can it keep the belt tight if the shoulder belt is not through the lockoff, too? The belt would still move with just the lap portion through!

abacus2

My comment about running only the lap belt through the lock-off is based on the picture at the beginning of the thread where the Roundabout is apparently installed with only the lap portion running through a closed lock-off. I can't see how the other lock-off is being used, but I'm wondering if that's the source of this OP's troubles?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
IME, lightweight locking latchplates never really lock--they just hold the belt until the retractor kicks in. Frankly, they're kind of flimsy, but they do meet federal standards of lockability and some people never have a problem keeping their car seats tight. You seem to be having a problem with yours, so we have to figure this out. It would help a lot if you could post another picture showing the buckle side of the car seat as it's installed.

There are some tricks for dealing with this type of latchplate to keep it tight and they've been mentioned here. If the latchplate is too high up in the belt path and is sitting at an angle (like over the lockoff, for instance), then it won't stay locked. In this situation, twisting the buckle 2-3 full twists would shorten the buckle stalk and pull the latchplate down so that it lays flat against the belt. It's essential for the latchplate to lay flat against the belt to stay locked. If you can't twist the buckle, then flipping the latchplate over helps to keep it locked. Don't do both at the same time, though.

You can use both lockoffs, if necessary. It's easier to get the lockoff closed if you spread the seat belts out so they aren't exactly right on top of each other. That way there's not so much bulk and it will be easier to get the lockoff closed and to keep it closed. Keep in mind that if the seat belt is super tight, when you go to connect the tether and pull it tight, it will pull up on the seat belt (when you pull down at the top of the seat, the base wants to pull up against the seat belt) and that may make the lockoffs pop open as well. If this happens, loosen the seat belt a smidge.

When I install rear-facing seats, I like to stand behind them and lean over them rather than put my weight in them. That way I've got both my hands free to manipulate the seat belt and lockoffs.

HTH!

kile529

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like you only have the lap portion of the belt running through the lockoff on the Roundabout. Don't you need to route the lap and shoulder portion together under the closed lockoff to hold the seat tightly?

Well, I'll be! I was thinking to myself "that can't be right - I had such a hard time getting both belts through both lockoffs!" You're right - that was a mistake on my part - I must've missed it since I was pretty much "in" the seat! lol

When my husband comes back with the van, I'll post some new pictures.....one thing I did notice - is that (pardon the words used to explain.....they'll try to make sense).....you know the "sleeve" that the part you clip into sits in? Well, the part you clip in-to slides up & almost out.....I'm wondering if it's just extremely loose from all the tugging I've done from installing carseats over the past 4-1/2 years.....I'll post a picture to show what I mean......

But, I'm sure this has at *least* a little to do with the operator! :) lol I'm still learning - but I'll get it right eventually! Just wait until I get the Saturn Vue! lol You all will be sick of me by then! haha!

kile529

yes I did.....I have a metal plate in the buckle that is supposed to "lock" - however, it doesn't do it very tight. I believe that when we get the Vue, the pulling the shoulder strap all the way out will lock it.

Sorry all - I forgot to take pictures! I will soon - just got busy wrapping presents! lol :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC