Pix of kids in my new van......

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
In the defense of techs, it is drilled into our heads in class that we should always follow vehicle and carseat manufacturer rules, and we should never educate parents based on only our own opinions.

If vehicle manufacturers and the CPS community as a whole are endorsing the practice of turning headrests backwards, then techs will teach that practice.

I agree that it seems potentially dangerous, and I don't think it's something I will do anymore (I have done it in the past based on the recommendation of a tech), but it's unfair to come down on techs for advocating a practice that is approved of by vehicle manufacturers (at least some) and the CPS community.

Does it make it right and safe simply because some auto makers and the CPS community thinks it's safe? Not necessarily--but it's the school of thought right now, and a tech's job is to offer up the best practice guidelines that we have available to us at this moment in time, and to educate parents on the carseat and vehicle rules that must always be followed. A tech's job is not to speculate on what might happen and offer opinions with no fact-based evidence to back it up. This is all my opinion, of course. :D I just don't think it's fair to basically bash a tech for recommending this practice, when it's widely recognized and approved of.

Thank you Jenny! It seem like Southpawboston is out to nit pick anything I post today that he doesn't agree with. I guess I am on his target and that is okay. I am thick skinned and can dish it back with the best of them. As you know I have been a member of this site and many other CPS boards for over 2yrs and as you know I wouldn't recommend anything that hasn't been taught or told to us by instructors, car seat & auto manufactures.

ADS

southpawboston

not picking on anyone... and not claiming that you're recommending something that hasn't beetn taught by your instructors.

just trying to point out an inconsistency between *common sense* and what is taught. it's not like i was suggesting "flouting" the rules and doing something radical like LATCH belts and seatbelts at the same time, or RF tethering a seat not designed for it. i was merely recommending a practice (removing the headrest entirely) that has no negative bearing on the car's safety or the CR installation relative to the *taught* practice of reinserting the headrest, simply for convenience against misplacing it.

removing the headrest entirely as opposed to reinserting backward (in an FMV noncompliant way) is not breaking any rules or going against CPS training, is it? is it *not* acceptable by CPS guidelines to remove the headrest entirely (provided the mfr says its okay?). i do know the FMV guidelines specifically state that rear headrests may be removed when there is no adult occupant in that seat, but front headrests must remain in place, even without an occupant.

and based on a history of some of the threads you've posted in, jen_nah, i'd say you've got *quite* a history of disagreeing with people, especially when it comes to choice of automobile... and i'm not talking about the other thread from today, but several from long before i joined the boards... i'll even go so far as to say i've been warned by others here about your relentless combativeness.

i'm ending my contribution to this thread, as i feel there's nothing more i can say because you just don't want to think for yourself but rather just parrot what you are told. rather than accept it as food for thought you just choose to categorically dismiss it... i would offer to keep this discussion going privately via PM but obviously you have no intention of discussing anything that clashes with your views...

JaRylan

Your two littlest are as cute as cute can be...hmmm, better tell the oldest 2 that they are very handsome (but really they are cute too, lol).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
removing the headrest entirely as opposed to reinserting backward (in an FMV noncompliant way) is not breaking any rules or going against CPS training, is it? is it *not* acceptable by CPS guidelines to remove the headrest entirely (provided the mfr says its okay?). i do know the FMV guidelines specifically state that rear headrests may be removed when there is no adult occupant in that seat, but front headrests must remain in place, even without an occupant.

and based on a history of some of the threads you've posted in, jen_nah, i'd say you've got *quite* a history of disagreeing with people, especially when it comes to choice of automobile... and i'm not talking about the other thread from today, but several from long before i joined the boards... i'll even go so far as to say i've been warned by others here about your relentless combativeness.

Removing the headrest is usually OK, so long as it doesn't contradict any information in the owner's manuals. I store mine under the seat and it improves my rear visibility significantly. They are still potentially an unrestrained object in a crash, I suppose, but I'm not too worried about it. I don't think I'd have a problem turning them backward, but someone else might find it an unacceptable risk and it doesn't help visibility either:-( I'd be more concerned that they wouldn't be turned forward if an adult was seated there than I would be about them flying off, though.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with people or asking specific questions about CPS issues. Let's all please keep it polite, though. At some point, threads become disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing and that is when to let them die out.

Congrats on the new van, emandbri!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Your two littlest are as cute as cute can be...hmmm, better tell the oldest 2 that they are very handsome (but really they are cute too, lol).

Ditto :D They are very cute (and handsome too)! Congrats on the new van :)

BTW I love your DD's shows, they look so soft are they any particular brand? (I'd like to check them out ;))

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Can't we all get along? This thread is supposed to be about how cute my kids are! :D
And your seats! Hello, how gorgeous is your set up!?!?! Why can't the Dakota come in tan? You MUST look at a backless cosco Prospect in the tan color, it would work so well! (Jodi's, momtoacrews, big kids love their new one!!!!)

:)

emandbri

And your seats! Hello, how gorgeous is your set up!?!?! Why can't the Dakota come in tan? You MUST look at a backless cosco Prospect in the tan color, it would work so well! (Jodi's, momtoacrews, big kids love their new one!!!!)

:)

I'm getting the dokota in pewter, it will look great I'm sure! Jacob liked it better then the cosco and I still kind of hold a grudge against them for making the shield booster for years when they knew it wasn't safe.

I'm also planning on getting an Erin MA cover for Elizabeth, how pretty is that going to look next to the green! I'm waiting to make sure there isn't something I like better coming out this summer.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm getting the dokota in pewter, it will look great I'm sure! Jacob liked it better then the cosco and I still kind of hold a grudge against them for making the shield booster for years when they knew it wasn't safe.

I'm also planning on getting an Erin MA cover for Elizabeth, how pretty is that going to look next to the green! I'm waiting to make sure there isn't something I like better coming out this summer.

Ok, can't say I blame you on the Cosco thing (Monika won't 'let' me buy one, lol)... we need to petition Combi to make a tan/brown cover, though :D.

Sounds perfect, though (I've got 'blue' and 'black and silver' and 'flowery' themes...I don't know what's next, lol)

emandbri

You are right Julie I HATE the dokota! It looks tanish in the pix but it is totally gray. My husband is laughing at me because I thought "pewter" was a bronzy color!

Chameleon

Congrats on your new van!! I love when people get Siennas, I don't know why. LOL Maybe because I have one. Silly I know. I just recently switched my 4 year old to the middle and my 21 month old drivers side outboard. It's much easier now because my 4 year old can crawl under the RF seat and get up in her seat and start buckling up. She can't quite get it yet but she is learning. I have removed my headrests as well behind the FF seat and it makes the installs much easier. I also have to say that I had a lot easier time with a RF install outboard with Latch than in the middle. I got it rock solid both places, it just took longer in the middle position.

BTW your kids are gorgeous!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC