Question Petite 4 yo and Clek fllo - help! *long*

U

Unregistered

4 year old dd2 is 30 lbs fully clothed with shoes and 36 inches tall with a 12-12.5" torso - which means she is finally at the limits of her Chicco Keyfit 30!
Yes, I have kept her in an infant carrier for that long - we didn't have the money and it was convenient. My MIL - the person who told me about ERF in the first place - is against extended carrier use and has been begging me to buy a convertible for about 3 years. But the carrier was so useful - like at the beginning of this month dd2 had an asthma attack that left her weak - I had lunch with a friend a day later, dd1 and ds were in school, dh at work, so I put her in the carrier and CARRIED my 4 year old into the cafe.
But then last week MIL bought dd2 a $350 Clek fllo - in blue, her favorite. But then I read the RFing weight limit and it was 50lbs - which for dd2 might be 8 or 9 years old!
What should I do??? When dd2 turned 2 my family said I could turn her--but on account of her 98th percentile head and petite frame I wanted to keep her rf. Now I'm not so sure - it just seems odd. A 3rd or 4th grader, RFing?
Help!?!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Actually, your four year old outgrew the Keyfit years ago when she hit the 30" or 1" from the top of the shell height limits. I'm glad nothing happened.

You can continue to rear face her in the Clek, there's certainly no harm in it, but at four she's also safe forward facing. You could keep it and forward or rear face in it, or return it and see about getting a combination seat, harness to booster.

Whatever you do, it has to be done before she rides in the car again. Check the stickers on the side of the Keyfit to confirm the 30". Here's also the page from the manual. https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7552/15645579457_cf8957bd86_b.jpg

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you SO much! I had no idea that she had outgrown the Keyfit so long ago...it just seemed to fit her for some reason. Glad we weren't in an accident.

I think I might keep her rf for a little while. Her torso height is actually less than 12 inches. Found out that her bone age is younger than her physical age (nothing extreme, but concerning enough for this mama to keep her rf.) Then I'll booster-train her when she reaches 6 or so.

Thank you again!

U

Unregistered

Thank you SO much! I thought keeping her in the carrier was helping her, but it was actually making the situation worse!

I think I will keep her rfing (by her request!). I went grocery shopping with her ff for the 1st time and she told me immediately after that she wanted to "face backwards until the strappy things get too small." Lol.

Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC