OT: Car safety for dog

momtojoshua2002

.Did you verify whether the Volvo barrier is pressure mounted or bolted in to the frame? If it's pressure mounted, it's a waste of money, IMO. Also be aware that using a cargo barrier often eliminates the ability to tether a front facing seat. Unless Volvo has changed their policy recently, you are not allowed to use a top tether with the Volvo barrier installed.

Hm, good point....... This is all it says:

The steel cargo barrier installs in the cargo area behind the rear seats to help prevent cargo from coming into the passenger area. The steel cargo barrier lifts up and out of the way when not in use. *Cannot be combined with third-row seat.

ADS

cdncasper

My 102lb shephard cross goes in car harness and the seatbelt goes thru a loop and gets buckeld up. Keeps him from slamming into me but he still has some room to move a little.

momtojoshua2002

My 102lb shephard cross goes in car harness and the seatbelt goes thru a loop and gets buckeld up. Keeps him from slamming into me but he still has some room to move a little.

In the front passenger seat? My Saint is sooo long and tall -- he is already measuring 29 inches at his shoulders, but I guess it's worth a try.....:D

Morganthe

Have you gone to any St Bernard or Large breed fancier's sites and asked this question? They might have more options available for your specific problem that are not known to the general public. AKC.org might be a start to locate some sites.

I only know what they did in Europe. Usually with a hatchback vehicle, the dog was dual tethered in there with some sort of professional gear. I saw some really large babies in tiny little cars with wide cargo straps coming from each side of a harness. It looks like there were bolts into the floor. Serious safety hookups, not just jury rigged.

Good luck. :) I love those big beasties, though my personal preferences tend towards the large sight hounds like Deerhounds, Borzois, and Wolfies :love:

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I went to the Might pets web site. They have the snoozer harness that I really like the look of, but it is only rated to 30 lbs? I emailed them about that. Still waiting for a response. Why sell an XL size, if they only tested to 30 lbs?

Cut & pasted from the cat thread...

Our dog is another story, though. The only times he goes along with us, is on trips when the whole family is in the vehicle, IOW, no seats available to harness the dog in. He usually rides in the back cargo area if it's just a daytrip, or if we can squeeze luggage over to the size with any amount of stability... But sometimes there's no other option-- that we've though of up til now, at least-- except to have him ride on the floorboards under the kids' feet. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC