Mazda 3 owner needs help

Wastral

Hi guys, I have a Mazda 3 and am expecting a second child (1st one will be one year old when second one arrives) I am close to tearing my hair out in frustration trying to figure out a successful car seat combination for them both. Any suggestions that would help me resolve this issue would be gratefully received.

The car has to accommodate two adults in front, making it virtually impossible to fit an infant car seat and base anywhere but the middle. This leads to a huge space issue for the remaining seat. Money is not a huge issue, we just want the best, safest solution without changing our car!

Thank you in advance

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What seat do you have your child in now, or what seat will they be in when the new babe arrives? What infant seat do you have?

Wendy

Wastral

Currently he is in a Graco Safe seat 30lb limit (which we hate) located in the middle. He is 9 months, 28" and 22lbs today but will be 12 months when second baby arrives.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Looking at the seat, would a smaller infant seat fit behind a passenger? You guys have the biggest one there is. The SafeSeat is 20 inches long by 19 inches wide. A Snugride is 17.5 inches long by 17 inches wide. Would that fit better behind a passenger? Then maybe you could leave your son in his SafeSeat. Out of curiosity, why do you hate it?

If you would like to move your older son to a convertible seat you have many options. Most rearfacing convertibles take up less space than an infant seat front to back because for an older baby or child they can be placed much more upright. The Scenera and Radian are very narrow convertibles, though the Radian may not fit as the angle is not very adjustable. The Scenera should fit well, though, I would think.

Can you meet with a tech near you to see if they can find an arrangement that will work for you? The SafeSeat can be installed without the base, I wonder if that would help you guys out at all? Maybe put it behind one of the front seat passengers so that another seat will have a bit more room?

Wendy

southpawboston

we own a mazda3 5-door. our kids are 20 months apart, so we were in a similar situation as you. we had a graco snugride behind the driver's seat. i'm 6'1" and only had a problem with the driver's seat being one or two notches too far forward for my taste with the snugride behind it. if we had it installed without the base, it may or may not have solved the problem, but DW didn't want to sacrifice the convenience of the base. so you can have the safeseat behind whichever front seat which will have the shorter adult most of the time and a snugride behind the seat that the taller adult sits in most often.

or, if you want to replace the safeseat with a $40 cosco scenera convertible (which is very popular here for it's 35 lb RF limit, low cost, and compact size) for your 1 yo, and get a snugride for your newborn, that combo will work even better. we have a cosco scenera RFing at about a 30 degree angle behind the driver's seat (for our 14 mo DD), and i can have the seat as far back as i like (not as far back as it can go, but as far back as i like for my frame).

thinking more about this, it sounds like this is the perfect solution. $40 cosco scenera for your 1 yo, especially given that he is already 22 lbs at 9 mos, so a 35 lb RFing convertible like the scenera will keep him RFing for a good while (much longer than the safe seat). then a $99 snugride for the newborn. less than $150 and the problem is solved.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
There is only an inch difference (lengthwise) between the snugride and the safeseat.

I would put new baby in the safeseat behind passenger and have the 12 month old in a convertible behind the driver. The 12 month old can be much more upright, so the driver should have some okay space.

If you need extra space for front seat passengers, then consider putting the Safeseat in without the base. It could give you quite a bit more space for front seat passengers, but you lose the carrying convenience of the infant seat... unless you want to get really good at installing every time you get in the car (not ideal, but doable).

Here's a picture of a Britax Marathon installed behind the passenger seat. DH is 6'3" and has comfortable space for his legs in the front passenger seat. It would be slightly less than ideal if behind the driver's seat, but it would be doable.

These are all taken in an '07 MazdaSpeed3, but other than the engine (more sculpted bucket seats in the rear and leather interior?) they are the same car.
This one has my then 22 month old in it...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/429825159_572f08ed10.jpg?v=0

This one is just the seat...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/429825151_81475bb970.jpg?v=0

RFing tether location if you go with a Britax seat...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/429820349_26ba2f90b5.jpg?v=0

The Radian doesn't even come close to fitting RFing in this vehicle. It is *fantastic* for FFing though, but you are a loooonnng way off from that point.

Wastral

Thank you, you guys are all great. I really appreciate the help.

1. We have a snugride also (bought in panic after bogus CR test results) it also will not fit anywhere but center using the base. As a last ditch resort we can use it without, but as mentioned, this leads to a choice of either having to keep removing a newborn or risk an incorrect installation.

2. We hate the safeseat as it does not appear to be well designed for a child at any stage; too large, cumbersome and poorly padded for a newborn, too hard to get a larger child into (if you have a small car). Also, having experienced the ease of a Chicco Keyfit, I now realise that you don't have to break your back in two places to return a seat + infant to base.

3. I would love ideally to find a solution that will achieve the following: 1 year old remains rear facing, Newborn has infant seat and base, 1 outboard seat still available (1 year old bad passenger, likes mother to travel in rear with him). I appreciate these may not all be achievable but I am quite nervous about the prospect of correctly fitting a seat without base every time as you can bet the one time I don't get it quite right......

Thank you so much for your help, you guys are keeping me sane :)

southpawboston

i wonder why you can't get a snugride outboard??? ours worked fine, and i'm 6'1". i think we had to have the driver's seat about 5 notches from the rearmost position. not perfect for me, but acceptable. for my DW, who is 5'9", it was perfect.

you *might* be able to get a snugride in the center with a scenera RFing outboard. the scenera is pretty narrow. there's NO WAY a radian will fit RF in this car. the shell is simply too tall. the scenera will give you more legroom in front, and your DW will have a seating position in back. it won't be right next to your "bad passenger", but closer than being in the front seat.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Here's the Radian RFing in our Speed3...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/429820333_acb4c7cd7f.jpg?v=0

Here is the resulting lack of room for front seat passengers...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/429820301_72de165c4f.jpg?v=0

Edited to add: Here is a pic of the resulting room for front seat passenger's with the Marathon installed in the passenger outboard position... please ignore the workboots and dinner plate - I made dh come out to take a pic :D Those are his 6'3" frame legs in the picture...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/429820374_2139bbb67c.jpg?v=0

Here is the Radian installed FFing...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/429820337_ac5667fbae.jpg?v=0

If your wife is going to spend the next year sitting in the back seat, you could put the Radian behind the passenger seat, Keyfit/Snugride/SafeSeat1 in the center and your wife behind the driver's seat. The front seat would be pretty much unuseable.

When the then two year oldish goes FFing, they go behind the driver, your wife goes back to the front passenger seat and the then 1 year oldish could go RFing in a Marathon/Scenera behind the passenger seat.

ETA2: I've sat in the back with a FFing Radian driver's outboard, RFing Marathon center, and me passenger outboard... not something I'd prefer to do for a long trip, but not uncomfortable either.

ETA3: Colleen's post made me remember that the Speed3 has Recaro seats in the front... which are wider, sculpted bucket seats then the regular 3's. The width of the front seats is what prevents me from putting the Radian in the center and having it rest between the front seats. It *may* fit between the front seats of your Mazda3... especially after seeing Colleen's post.

ccjones

SPB -

I'm not sure how the vehicles compare in size, but one of my friends has a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, which (correct me if I'm wrong) I think was the last model year before they renamed that platform the Mazda 3.

I have pics of my Radian RF in the center seat in her Mazdaspeed. The shell of the Radian fit perfectly between the two front seats, and we did not have to sacrifice legroom on either the driver or passenger sides.

Here are pics... Please ignore that mat under the Radian. Even though it *is* a Sunshine Kids mat, I was showing my friend that it was too thick to use under a carseat, and like a dummy, I took pics of the Radian install before removing the mat.

ETA: To the OP: I never took pics because I didn't have my camera with me at the time, but I tried and succeeded installing my Radian RF in the center using LATCH, and a SnugRide w/base on the passenger side outboard using the lap/shoulder belt in this Mazdaspeed.

j-dog008.jpg

j-dog007.jpg

Last edited:

Wastral

I may be wrong but I have come to the conclusion that the speed and the 5 door Mazda must have more space in the rear of the car (when all this is concluded I will take some pics for future help on this site.) I have prerviously mounted a snugride w/base behind the passenger seat, but it had to be so far forwards the front seat was unusable. I am only 5'10" and DW 5'9".
My current plan (opinions on this are welcome) is to use a diplomat for my eldest (when available), rf behind passenger seat (over roundabout for TSIP, over boulavard for size) and to use the snugride or chicco w/o base (so it will fit) in the centre for 3-6 mnths until NB ready for second diplomat RF. Thoughts??

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would try the Marathon or Boulevard first. Since an older child doesn't need to be at such a reclined angle often a RFing convertible takes up less room than a RFing infant seat. Also, check your manual. If you don't have advanced airbags you can brace the Britaxes against the front seat, something you cannot do with the Graco. Britax encourages it. So you may have more room than you think for a big Britax, rather than the Diplomat. Which while it is a nice seat I'm sure, has the same failing as the Roundabout in that it's outgrown usually before a child is ready for a booster.

Wendy

Wastral

Thanks Wendy, again, you guys are great. I will try the Boulevard. I tried the Signo on the weekend, my car is laughably too small for it. My current thought is that the diplomat may be the only viable solution for me for now. I take the point about being outgrown before he is ready for a booster, but not having the space.... well, as I said, I will take some pics for future reference.

I think that car manufacturers have a lot to answer for here. Between refusing to recommend or even comment on appropriate child seats, to not fitting any suitable R/F tether points. It is a fantastic thing that there are people out there who want to help. I'm just a bit sad that they are the people who are doing it for free, not the people I gave a large pile of money to for the purchase of my car.....

Thanks again :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Marathon in my Speed is set at a 30 - 35 degree angle which is appropriate for an older child, but not a newborn.

The Snugride probably does take up a lot more space than the Marathon because it needs to be at that 45 degree angle.

We test drove a regular '07 Mazda3 and then bought the '07 Speed3. They have the same backseat space. I was able to fit the Marathon RFing with no issues in the regular 3 as well... simply because you can have the seat more upright for an older child.

I was also able to fit 3 across in the Mazda3... just barely. A RFing Marathon behind the passenger, FFing Marathon in the center and a Parkway behind the driver. So I think you should be able to fit a RFing Marathon behind the passenger and a Keyfit/Snugride in the center.

Good luck! :)

Just wanted to let you know that the Britax seats can be braced against the front seat. I install the seat, tether it RFing and then once it's in there solidly, I move the front seat back right against it... then I move it back one more position. This will give your front seat passenger more space. DH doesn't have the leg room he normally likes in the front seat, but it is adequate and there is definitely more than 12 inches between him and the airbag. By the way, that is all that is needed... 12 inches between passenger and air bag to ensure they function and work correctly to keep you safe.

You can also eek out a little more space by raising the front seat headrest and allowing the top of the Marathon to rest between the seat and the headrest. Make sure the headrest is still adequately positioned for front seat passengers, but given the heights listed, it should be fine.

southpawboston

The Marathon in my Speed is set at a 30 - 35 degree angle which is appropriate for an older child, but not a newborn.

The Snugride probably does take up a lot more space than the Marathon because it needs to be at that 45 degree angle.

We test drove a regular '07 Mazda3 and then bought the '07 Speed3. They have the same backseat space. I was able to fit the Marathon RFing with no issues in the regular 3 as well... simply because you can have the seat more upright for an older child.

I was also able to fit 3 across in the Mazda3... just barely. A RFing Marathon behind the passenger, FFing Marathon in the center and a Parkway behind the driver. So I think you should be able to fit a RFing Marathon behind the passenger and a Keyfit/Snugride in the center.

Good luck! :)

Just wanted to let you know that the Britax seats can be braced against the front seat. I install the seat, tether it RFing and then once it's in there solidly, I move the front seat back right against it... then I move it back one more position. This will give your front seat passenger more space. DH doesn't have the leg room he normally likes in the front seat, but it is adequate and there is definitely more than 12 inches between him and the airbag. By the way, that is all that is needed... 12 inches between passenger and air bag to ensure they function and work correctly to keep you safe.

You can also eek out a little more space by raising the front seat headrest and allowing the top of the Marathon to rest between the seat and the headrest. Make sure the headrest is still adequately positioned for front seat passengers, but given the heights listed, it should be fine.

according to what people have said who have played with the como, it should not take up any more front-back space than a britax, so if a britax fits, as aidensmom says it does, then a como should work fine.

i also keep the front headrest extended up, and the top of the scenera shell sort of "pokes" between the front seat and the headrest.

the mazda3 also has a telescoping as well as tilting steering wheel, so with the front seat moved forward, you can telescope the wheel forward as well to make sure you have >=12" between you and the airbag.

wastral, do you have a sedan? the speed 3 and 5-door 3 are the same body and have identical interior dimensions. i don't know if the sedan 3 has slightly less rear seat room. could be, but i doubt it.

kcchica

I just happened across this post and would like a little more "expert" advice from anyone who would like to share.

We have a 2006 mazda 3 5 door. I am due any day and just had our graco snugride installed by a tech last week. She installed it behind the passenger seat. She said it wouldn't fit in the middle because the seat kinda bumps out a bit in the center and that the car seat could never be touching the front seats in anyway. Something about when you break the weight of the person in the seat times the speed would be put unnecessary force on the car seat over and over again.

So we have it in the back seat, behind the passenger side, with the passenger seat pulled very very far forward. I can ride in it (not for road trips), but I am only 5'7". We had to leave the drivers side open because my husband is 6'3" and when he drives he has the seat very far back.

2 questions really, is it really true that the front seat can't touch the snug ride (right now its installed with a deep incline for a newborn).

Also I mentioned wanting a brixax marathon in the future for safety and longevity reasons (which I planned on buying soon, because I have found them on sale), but the teach said that big of a seat would not fit in my car.

This was very disappointing.... not super important at the moment, since we can use the snug ride for a while anyway.. but stilll..

any thoughts out there..

thanks so much!
kc:confused:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can try installing it on the bump. Some install well on those, some don't. I put a seat on a Mazda 3 bump last week, it was great.

She's right about the seat touching. It can gently brush against the front seats, but it can't be rammed tight against it.

The Marathon will fit. She's forgetting that older infants and children don't need or generally like a 45* angle, they prefer closer to 30*. A big convertible generally takes up less space front to back than an infant seat because of the recline angle. Plus, Britaxes love to be braced against the front seats (provided your car's manual doesn't say that things can't be pushed against the front seat due to advanced airbags). I know of few cars that a Marathon wouldn't fit in. We got our Wizard (same size as the Marathon) in my husband's Porsche 911. If it can fit there it can fit anywhere.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC