Links for Airplane Travel

jeno

Senior Community Member
We're flying this upcoming week. I haven't been on the forums much since having DD2 this summer so I was wondering what the latest links are that I should print off and have on hand in case anyone gives me flack for my carseats onboard the plane.

Both of my kids are big and look older than they are so I need to be ready to protect my DS's (3yrs) right to have his carseat and DD's (9mos) right to ride RFacing.

TIA

Oh, and this is my first time flying with the Radian. Anything I need to know about it in terms of FFing install onboard? Any tips?

DD will be riding in a Roundabout which I've done at least 20 different times on planes so that one will be easy.

The hard part will be carrying 2 seats down the aisle.

ADS

MomToEliEm

Print out these two documents for your flight:

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes:
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

I have never used a radian so no tips on installing it on the plane. When I traveled with my two seats, I utilized a luggage cart to help move them through the airports. I also asked for help whenever I needed it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian is a BREEZE to install. I like to recline the seat back, then install, then pull the seat back upright. That does two things. 1), helps get a tight install even tighter, and 2), that way if I recline the seat back I know the Radian is still nice and tight. If you put the FFing foot down that'll give a little extra recline, and it does go back nicely right with the seat. I don't know how long your flight is, but the Radian done up that way and nice and reclined let Piper sleep for 7.5 hours straight once on our way home. :)

I've had attendants tell me that at 21 pounds I was killing Piper by having her rear facing (in her 33 pound seat). This was in flight, and one of them was so disgusted with me she went and got another attendant to talk to me and the first ignored me for the rest of the flight. I know from experience that the American Airlines manual has no limits on weight or age for rear facing. :) I also know from experience that the British Midlands manual DOES.

If you're flying in the US I wouldn't worry. If you're flying on an international carrier, then check with them. They may not allow seats over 36 months or rear facing seats at any age.

Wendy

vonfirmath

On Continental, we had our baby RFing on the plane at 16 months and nobody said anything to us. (And he's tallish for his age)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC