Let's chat ERF beyond 2yrs

jeno

Senior Community Member
My DD is nearing her 2nd birthday in a few weeks. She currently stands at 33.5lbs, 35" tall (mostly torso) at her last apt back in March.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from others on when you decide its time to FF vs. purchasing another seat to keep her RF.

When my 4 year old son reached 2, there really weren't other options worth purchasing beyond what we already owned so I didn't 2nd guess turning him on his 2nd birthday. He was the same weight. Actually just shy of 33lbs because my seats then only RF to 33lbs.

I currently own both a BLVD and Radian 65 for her with 35lb RF max capacity. I have a love/hate relationship with the Radian. The idea of purchasing another doesn't not excite me, but I'd consider it. I moved her into the Radian exclusively because the BLVD was way too cramped for her at this point and very difficult to get her in/out.

What seats currently have 40lb RF limits? Are we expecting any future releases in the next 6mos?

The other thing to consider is how much time would I be able to keep her RFacing due to height constraints. Here's a picture of her taken last week. Obviously I need to take another look and measure, but I'm thinking maybe a year before she's within an inch of the top of the shell. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on another seat if that's all the extra life I'm getting out of it.

I know I'm not going to decide today, but I'm looking for info to help me ponder.

24c9pch.jpg

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For most kids an inch of torso is about a year's worth of growth, so I'd say she's got at least two years in the Radian.

If you don't like the Radian you can look at the Safety 1st Complete Air, which is 40 pounds and as tall in the shell as the Radian. $180. The Graco My Ride has a 40 pound limit, but I wouldn't get one with a long torso baby. The Evenflo Triumph Advance 65 will soon have a 40 pound limit, and the new Evenflo Momentum will have a 40 pound limit (I can't tell yet, besides a strap versus knobs, what the difference in the Triumph Advance 65 and the Momentum).

Wendy

featherhead

I think she should have more than a year left rear-facing by height in the Radian.

You could also try out the Safety 1st Complete Air. It is taller than the Radian, and has a 40 lb rear-facing limit.

celtic1885

Your daughter's stats sound a lot like my dd3's. She will be 3 in July

I had flipped her last fall, turned her back RF after a carseat play date at her request and she's been RF since then. She was nearing the limit on her MA so fter her riding RF for a couple of months (wanted to make sure it wasn't just novelty for her) I found a deal on the RN80SL and purchased 2 of them. (dd2 was also clamoring to RF and she was right at 40#/4 in Jan)

DD3 still RF, dd2 back to FF :rolleyes: Both of my girls have long torsos. I'll try to get some pics of dd3 RF in her RN. DD2 is back in her Regent.

I like the RN, prefer the Regent forward facing - more room in the seat, IMO

I'll keep dd3 RF as long as she want to RF, if she wants to FF I'll be flexible on that as well, she's over 35#, almost as tall as dd2.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember that growth often slows down significantly after 2. I would say she has at least a shot of getting to 4 RF in the Radian by height, though if you want to hedge your bets and she's not going to need an extra 5 lbs. the CA might be a good choice. My middle daughter fit a little taller than that in the Radian at 2, and has a long-ish torso, and still fits (barely) by height at age 4.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Even if I was only to get one year RF out of a seat, I would still buy it to keep a new 2 year old RF if my other option was to flip FF. Although I agree with the others that she's got more than a year in the Radian.

jeno

Senior Community Member
Great! I will def. look at the Air. I've installed it a few times for some much smaller kids at Events but haven't really gotten to play with it myself and expand it.

And you are right about the My Ride. I put both of mine in it last summer when it first came out and it was not a good fit in any directions for my tall/big/chubby kiddos.

jeno

Senior Community Member
TechnoGranola, We've chatted before in regards to the MDX. Do you have a Radian? Any good fits position-wise? I've got it in the center now, but I hate how the back end rocks around so much and tilts. I think if I get another Radian, I'll put it behind the driver and move my DS to the middle FFacing with the older 65. Right now he rides in the Frontier, so I'm always trying to configure so at least one of them can ride center and my options seem to be limited with a RF Radian.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
TechnoGranola, We've chatted before in regards to the MDX. Do you have a Radian? Any good fits position-wise? I've got it in the center now, but I hate how the back end rocks around so much and tilts. I think if I get another Radian, I'll put it behind the driver and move my DS to the middle FFacing with the older 65. Right now he rides in the Frontier, so I'm always trying to configure so at least one of them can ride center and my options seem to be limited with a RF Radian.
For me, I hate the Radian in the MDX. I cannot get that seat so it is solid, even when it's correct at the belt path, the seat flips and flops like a dead fish and I don't like it even if it's theoretically fine. But, I am no expert at installing Radians. A few techs recently did an install in JerseyGirl'sMama's MDX and posted pics http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=123653 I am not sure how tall you are, but consider it may not work driver's side for you.

I love how the MR works RF in the MDX (FF it sucks) but if your child is long torsoed, I'd likely pick something else. Or because I like to buy things, and assuming my child still had *some* room to grow in the MR, I'd pick one up and use it until my child outgrew it RF and then buy something else that was out at the time to RF longer. :)

Definitely try a Complete Air though and I don't know when those Evenflo seats are coming out but if you can wait for those, at least you have another option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC