Infant carseat Travel Q

JustJack

Q answered, THANKS!!

Hi all,
We are heading to CA tomorrow (!!) and I am trying to figure out carseats. DS is 3.5 and will be FF in our travel seat, the Scenera. DD is 4.5 months and is in a Chicco KEyfit (22lbs) or a Snugride (also 22lbs). I am trying to decide which seat to take. I'm leaning towards the Snugride as it can be installed WITHOUT the base so it would be one less thing to carry. We are getting a rental car and I have no idea what it will be. We picked the SUV and the pic was of a Ford Escape. I've never installed the seat with just a seatbelt and it is currently moonsooning here so I can't go practice. Would you take the Snugride without the base or would you suck it up and take the Chicco with the base? TIA!

Last edited:
ADS

DahliaRW

The SR is really easy without the base. The seatbelt goes right over the top. If the keyfit is equally easy, then I'd take whatever you prefer. Otherwise I'd take the SR.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Chicco can be installed baseless as well. Pull the cover aside just in front of the handle and you'll see the belt path.

Wendy

andre149

Personally, since they both can be installed baseless I would take whichever one is easier to carry :) Are you taking a stroller that one of them fits in?

JustJack

Wow! I never even noticed that the Chicco could be installed without the base. I'll probably take that one then since it is cushier (and its older so if the airport wrecks it I won't be too upset, LOL). Glad to hear they are both easy installs.

jnamommy

By "if the airport wrecks it," do you mean you are checking it? It is not a good idea to check a carseat - you will have no idea if your seat has been damaged. The safest thing to do is to use the carseat on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC