Important info regarding the new Radian buckle tongues!

arly1983

You guys, I am really starting to be upset by this....

People keeping there frayed radians to use after they have received a new one....either it is a safety issue or it isn't! Which is it????

As for sunshine kids making changes to the radian, I was under the impression they were not changing all their future buckle toungues, just sending people who had issue with them seats with the new buckle tongues...

Some people are saying the fraying harnesses are safe, others are say they are not, really who knows? (that is a literal question)

I hate to nit pick but this flip floping is highly confusing...

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I'm of the opinion that a little fraying is fine. Which is what jools, the CPS technician emeritus said. Don't we call her the goddess of the carseat world? I'm comfortable following her advice, LOL.

I would have no problem using my seat if the straps were a little frayed. No problem at all.

doriansmummy

People keeping there frayed radians to use after they have received a new one....either it is a safety issue or it isn't! Which is it????

As for sunshine kids making changes to the radian, I was under the impression they were not changing all their future buckle toungues, just sending people who had issue with them seats with the new buckle tongues...

Some people are saying the fraying harnesses are safe, others are say they are not, really who knows? (that is a literal question)

Well I think they are keeping the frayed harness seats as Russ will give them new buckles?
And it seems like he is giving those out instead of new seats.

I really dont understand the buckle situtaion with SK either.
Now I am paranoid to use my new one and paranoid to use my old one which I still have.

cheerbop

Well, we were considering a Radian, but now are not sure because of all this...???!!!

I wish I could read/see/know that this seat IS great or it is NOT great.
So confused:confused:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I emailed him yesterday as soon as I read Doriansmummy's post and told him I had just bought a radian last week, but a friend had recently received a replacement seat b/c of the buckles.
He replied today with this:

I'm definately going to have them send them to me, but I have my doubts about gettingthem on the seat. :(

I

Well I think they are keeping the frayed harness seats as Russ will give them new buckles?
And it seems like he is giving those out instead of new seats.

I really dont understand the buckle situtaion with SK either.
Now I am paranoid to use my new one and paranoid to use my old one which I still have.

*Deep breath everyone* My honest opinion is that all the back and forth has caused things to kind of snowball and a lot of confusion.

Here is what I've read, just to sum it up into one place:

- Those with frayed harness seats that asked for new ones, have been asked to send the old seats back. Russ was going to issue call tags - for those of you who have received your replacement seats, have you gotten the call tags yet?

- Those who contact SK with concern that their new radian might develop a problem with fraying because of the narrow buckle tongues, will be offered the wider version to PREVENT it from happening.

- All harnesses pass the same minimum standards and any car seat manufacturer could change the harness if they wanted to. It doesn't affect whether or not the seat still meets FMVSS 213 or CMVSS 213 standards. The harness is an integral part of the restraint, quite obviously, but it is the physical shell of the seat that makes or breaks whether a seat meets standards since all harnesses have passed the minimums.

I understand that we all get panicked when there's so much info coming from every direction. I believe that Russ and SK in general believe that the harness is safe to continue using with the pilling or a little fraying, however, in the name of keeping the customer happy and erring on the side of caution, they are offering to replace the seats.

Are there some finicky things with the Radian? Yes, I don't think anyone would argue about that. But I honestly think the whole buckle thing on this thread has been blown a bit out of proportion. :twocents:

I think what it comes down to is this - the Radian is still a relatively new seat. There are more and more being bought, and more people having questions or problems. I don't think it's a sign of inherent problems with the seat, but more that there's more seats being sold and used, therefore more problems being reported. Hopefully SK will be responsive & address the concerns like the chest clip and the narrow harness at the neck. Hopefully they will do something to address the incompatibility issues some vehicles have & maybe they'll redesign the harness so that it can be removed.

Something just to ponder... 6 months from now, unless Recaro has their new seat 100% absolutely perfect, we'll likely be seeing posts about their new convertibles. Not the same concerns, but there's likely going to be something that comes up.

I really hope that people aren't swayed from at least trying the Radian - it does have a lot of good features, and if it fits well in your vehicle, then it's a nice seat. It also has unique features you won't find in other seats.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Can I just do a :thumbsup: to all that?

No seat is perfect. They all have their quirks. We complain about the MA all the time, and yet people still buy it. Stupid broken lock-offs.

djma

We received our new Radian yesterday with the new wider buckle tongs. I have no issue continuing to use our old Radian (that is if the call tag gets lost in the mail...;) ) - my original concern was if it would affect the life of the seat. I don't think a small bit of fraying is going to cause a defect especially with all the testing they do to these harnesses. I want the full 8 years (I think that's what these are good for) of use from my seat. That was my original concern.

If anyone has any concerns about their seat or the buckle tongs, then they shouldn't use the seat. I trust Russ, I don't believe he would tell parents "yes, it's okay to use the seat" even when it's not. I'm sure they know how sue happy this world is today and they wouldn't take any chances. Just my :twocents: .

We love the Radian!

tl01

I too thought it sounds as though people are keeping their old seats and are likely to still use them. If you received a replacement seat but didn't replace the buckle tongs are you still going to use the seat? This is confusing b/c I thought it was being replaced due to safety issues. I have a Radian and am completely confused now.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I too thought it sounds as though people are keeping their old seats and are likely to still use them. If you received a replacement seat but didn't replace the buckle tongs are you still going to use the seat? This is confusing b/c I thought it was being replaced due to safety issues. I have a Radian and am completely confused now.

There's really not a safety issue with fuzzy harnesses, there's not an issue with the old buckle tongues, SK is just bending over backwards doing everything they can to keep their customer service having a good reputation. IF the harnesses were really severely getting super frayed, and it were due to the small buckle tongues, there would be a recall. They would not allow you to keep using an old seat if it were actually dangerous. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC