how to remove warning labels?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you do remove them/alter the seat, please be sure to disclose that if you ever sell the seat, too. That's something a potential buyer should know about.

The labels may not be attractive, but I certainly don't see them as a safety hazard or comfort issue. I agree that if you're not happy with them, it might be better to find another seat.

ADS

Aurezalia

Another thing to think about is that car seat covers (and the labels) are required to meet a specific fire retardant level. Cutting the labels out and sewing on patches is going to put non-flame retardant fabric right next to your baby's head... while I'm not bothered by the labels, I would be significantly more worried about the scenario you're laying out. I also think using tools to try to "heat them off" (which I don't think will work, as I think the labels are printed onto the seat and are designed to not ever come off) will probably likely damage the fabric as well.
While I don't quite understand the reaction you're having to the labels (as Wendy said, they really don't bother kids and there are no worries about them obstructing breathing), it's clear that they really bother you, and between the choices you've laid out, I think your best bet is to return the seat and get one with less prominent labels that won't bother you rather than mutilating the seat and damaging the flame retardancy of the seat and putting your child at risk.

CMeMeC

I get your frustration, but I think cutting and patching would look worse than the labels and likely be more annoying for a kid in the seat.

tablefor9

Thanks for your concern but each parent makes choices for their children based on what they think is best. I feel it's u safe to have a big, flat piece of plastic next to a baby's face so I doing what I can to remove what feels to me to be the most immediate danger. I know the seat has been crash tested but has it been tested with real babies who are having their breathing actively monitored while their head is moved into different positions (including nose up against the labels)? Of course it hasn't. I prefer the look of fabric patches to big labels anyway but to each their own. If I resell it they can take the new fabric the company says they will eventually as a replacement.

Brianna

I'm scratching my head here wondering what kind of position a baby's head would be in for their nose to be completely blocked by a flat label. Even if they managed to contort themselves in such a manner than one nostril was completely obstructed, the other one wouldn't be. I'm not seeing any danger at all to the labels, at the same time I do agree with the possible dangers listed by others that removing the labels will present.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Crash tested in every position with live babies? Only during crashes and daily drives.

There have been no reports of children having issues with them, even in car beds designed for preemies. http://clickitutah.org/img/children/angel.jpg You can see the warning label there. This is a device for medically fragile children to use, or under four pound babies who are otherwise ready to go home.

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/...fsm-empty-weight-6-lbs-carry-handle_55344.JPG Another car bed for medically fragile children. Another warning label.

With warnings around every child there have been zero reports of any child (even one coming home with respiratory support equipment) having an issue with the label.

I suggest you talk to Nuna again before you hurt an expensive seat and render the cover useless and have no way to use it.

Wendy

1mommy

I'm pretty sure it's not plastic- its printed directly on the seat fabric- it may feel plasticy but it's not. Also pretty sure it won't come off without you cutting it off, in which case I would worry that the seat itself might start unraveling and you would have permanently damaged the seat cushion's integrity and who knows what effects that would have in a crash.

If you are that worried about it, please return the seat and buy a different one with better positioned warning labels. If you are looking for a seat with a load leg, you could check out the Cybex Aton2/Q.

AllieK

It changes the whole look of the seat...

Wouldn't cutting the labels off, trying to remove them with heat and/or covering them with fabric "change the whole look of the seat" as well?

Is the OP's concern aesthetic or something else? I think the techs have explained there is no safety concern...

Why spend $300 on a seat only to be this un-happy with it? Return it and find something else, there are hundreds of infant seats on the market with hundreds of different covers, surely you can find one that pleases you.

katymyers

If it's at all comforting to you, there are a few seats I've seen with labels right next to the face and I've seen tons of NICU babies pass car seat challenges in these seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacqui276

I'm a medical professional that works solely with pediatric patients and there is no possible way that I can see the label being an airway issue. The position that the infant seat puts the baby's head in can potentially obstruct their airway, which is why they have specific angles for installing them, recommend that you don't have your baby in the seat outside of the car for an extended period of time, and test NICU babies' in their seats before discharging them home. A flat smooth surface is not going to obstruct their breathing and the baby is unlikely to have their head twisted to the side with their face buried in the side.

What is causing you to not want to return the seat and get one with better placed labels? There are tons of seats to choose from that may be better suited to your taste.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks for your concern but each parent makes choices for their children based on what they think is best.

I agree with you to a certain extent--safety trumps parental decision in my book though--but you can tell by the reactions you're receiving that this is an unusual question. I've been here since the forum started and we've had the occasional question about the warning labels, but no one so determined to rid their seat of them.

How long do you anticipate your newborn being in the carseat? There haven't been any reports of babies asphyxiating from warning labels. When they're placed at appropriate recline angles, neurotypical babies are able to keep their airways open by moving their heads when their bodies sense a reduction in oxygen. If your baby isn't neurotypical and requires medical devices during travel, a different setup may be suggested but the warning labels will still be there. Like a PP said, I'd be more concerned about a baby suffocating on a blanket placed in the carseat than the label.

It's an unfortunate consequence to our litigious society, but it is what it is.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd rather my child not be the one to trigger a recall like that. If other parents feel it's safe that's great but I don't agree.

Parents, techs, instructors, manufacturers, NICU nurses.

You're the first person I've ever heard concerned. The first willing to nearly destroy their seats over them.

There have been zero instances. And zero concern.

I suggest you buy a different seat that has warning labels in a more tolerable position rather than ruin an expensive seat.

Wendy

jennzee

What a bizarre thread. It seems the OP has some affinity for the Nuna that trumps all and she is determined to use this seat and this seat only, altered to meet her unusual aesthetic specifications (I think at the root it's really more about aesthetics than safety). It's clear that nothing anybody says is going to change her mind. Her money, her child, her choice. Even if it is weird.

1mommy

It's clear that nothing anybody says is going to change her mind. Her money, her child, her choice. Even if it is weird.

Agreed, at this point I think we should just let the thread die, the OP has been given facts and what she chooses to do with them is up to her.

OP good luck with your situation and I hope you find a solution without having to cut up your expensive seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC