Question Help with choosing a car seat please...

purplelipstick

Hi there,

I've read a number of posts, but still can't make a decision about a new car seat. I would like to purchase a new seat as soon as possible.

My son is 6 1/2 months old. He is 20.5 lbs. and 26.4". I would like to choose between the BV and the TF. Because he's young, and a big boy I'd like the seat to last as long as possible. I would also like to make sure he is comfy and if possible can see out the window rf because he might be less cranky that way.

Any pros, cons, opinions would be truly welcomed!

Thanks so much!!

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Welcome to c-s.org and to the Canadian & Int'l forum.

Please take some time to peruse the forums for additional info, pictures, etc. on the 2 seats you mentioned.

Personally, since he is big I would buy the TF since it can be rf to 35 lbs. It is hard to tell how long he would last in this seat as it depends on his weight and height when ff, but it has the highest rf limit at the moment and fairly high top harness slots (higher than the BV).

shauburg

My son was similar in size to your son (19.5 lb @ 6 months & then 21.5 lbs @ 7 months). He just passed 30 lbs and outgrew all Canadian seats rear-facing, except the TF, at 18 months old. Because of the size of your son and the fact that RF is so much safer than FF (especially important for younger toddlers), I also think you should get the TF for its 35 lb RF limit.

The fact that's ~$150 cheaper than the BV right now might also help you make your decision! (The TF is on sale at Toys R Us until August 22).

My son is very happy RF in his TF. He enjoys the view a lot!

HEVY

Hello and welcome!
True Fit gets my vote, besides the FF seats, this one, will hold your DS a long time RF and FF. My DD is 5 and when I tried her out in a number of seats, this seat had the most room to grow all around, IMO. But trying the seat out with your DS and in your car (install FF and RF) is your best bet.

purplelipstick

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm going to pick up a TF today. Called around to TRU and am picking up the last one at Yonge and Eglinton! I'm sooo glad that I found this site!

Next steps: install and make sure my DS fits well and is comfy in the seat! I'm going to have to carefully read through the install forums because I don't quite understand how/why people try the car seats at multiple angles.

Not sure if anyone else will come onto this thread, but does anyone know where I can get reliable installation in the Toronto area? I had called police and fire services when I was installing my infant seat; it took forever to be connected to someone who knew what I was talking about and then they weren't having any clinics for a while.

Take care, and thanks again!:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC