Cosco Arriva with "plastic" Buckle?!?

cantech

I went to check out our new Walmart this morning and of course had to check the car seats.

I was looking at the Cosco Arriva infant seat and noticed a new (to me) style of buckle release on the harness system. It's more of a lever action than a push button, you pushed at the top part of the release and the bottom part lifted up. What really amazed me was the buckle tongues...they're made of plastic not metal!!! And Nope I haven't confused them with the chest clip it was the harness buckle. It gets better though...not only are they plastic, they're of the "puzzle" variety.

Is this new or just new to me? IIRC the DOM was Dec. 06

Anyone have any hands on experience with them? If so, how are they working out?

BTW we need a smilie scratching their head ;)

Belinda

Curious to see what you may have to say...

Belinda

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Interesting. The Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat I used for DD2 had plastic buckle tongues and a puzzle buckle. The plastic buckle tongues surprised me at first because I hadn't seen plastic ones before on other seats. The puzzle buckle was kind of a pain until I got used to it, but I liked the seat otherwise.

mominabigtruck

IMO the arriva is a piece of crap and I have no idea why they're still making them. I know what you're talking about, I think they're the same type of buckles cosco uses on their preemie seats so I don't know if they had an excessive of them or what. Our walmart doesn't sell them anymore but they're the seat they hand out at the hospital if you don't have one.

southpawboston

I
BTW we need a smilie scratching their head ;)

like this?
confused-scratchhead3.gif

there's a few emoticons i'd like to see added.

southpawboston

you could try PMing the admin to see if he can add a few to the current assortment... but i can also see wanting to limit the number of emoticons... it can get messy! (i've got a bunch in my own webspace that i just link to if i can't find one that fits the occassion) :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There was the Latch Loc and one or two other seats that have had this buckle...the Combi Centre, too. I think IMMI makes them? They're weird, but I'm sure they are tested to the hilt (I wonder if they stuck the one year old dummy in one of those infant seats FF? People DO use those seats that way, so I'd like to excuse the plastic buckle as 'only on RF seats where the harness doesn't do much anyway' but that innocent baby with the stupid parent ff'ing them in their infant seat oughta be protected, too, so I HOPE they are tested FF!)

Splash

Even if the buckles held up, the harness would rip through the shell. Plus there is no way to secure it FF. So... I don't really see the need to make them work FF, when the whole shebang would fail spectacularly if someone tried to use it that way.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
THIS is why we need our own test bench facility...to appease our aching curiosity about the outcome of every possible imaginable misuse (I mean, are you SURE that, say, a bungee cord going through the lapbelt hooks on an infant seat FF and attached to the LATCH anchors really wouldn't exceed head and knee excursion limits for FF seats? Toss some two by fours under it, because that 2 year old would probably want to sit up more, you know) ;) :p :D

lynsgirl

THIS is why we need our own test bench facility...to appease our aching curiosity about the outcome of every possible imaginable misuse (I mean, are you SURE that, say, a bungee cord going through the lapbelt hooks on an infant seat FF and attached to the LATCH anchors really wouldn't exceed head and knee excursion limits for FF seats? Toss some two by fours under it, because that 2 year old would probably want to sit up more, you know) ;) :p :D

Oh heck, it could be like some crazy thrilling amusement park ride, no? :eek:
And we really all should just start a fund for this test bench facility lol.

Amy
CPST and Mom to 4 great kids, all in seats :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC