Continuing the Cloth Diaper thread

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Yes, thank you so much Kashi! I have copied/pasted that info and saved it on my computer, so that I can refer back to it when I get confused! :D I am SO excited about cloth diapering now and have started looking on ebay at Fuzzi Bunz. Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy any until after Xmas, probably even into January, but still. I'm SO excited! The covers are so cute and they look like they're so comfy compared to disposables. Plus, since I'm all about ridding the toxins from my home, I can't believe I've used disposables for as long as I have. It actually makes me feel bad to think that my poor babies haven't had the benefits of cloth! But, its okay, because now I'm going to make a change for the better - yipppeeee!

didymama

i wouldn't necessarily just look at ebay for fuzzibuns, as lately people have been paying more for those than new ones. i would just check sites like diaperpin.com and diaperswappers.com for used ones. you can also see if there are diaper swaps in your area-we have them up here a couple times a year and it's a blast. i would also look at package deals. sometimes these are really good. oh-and it never hurts to contact the company and ask if they have seconds-big money saver!!! check this site too-www.wallypop.net-they aren't name brand, but they are good quality. i have several of hers and love them. and she is less expensive than name brand by far!

scatterbunny

Okay, I'm another one with a 5yo who's not dry at night yet. She's huge for her age, though...48 inches tall and 52 pounds. She also soaks GoodNights and can't stay dry at all. We have tried setting alarms and making her get up to go pee, but even when we do that (and deal with hysterical tantrums at 2 am) she still wakes up wet. I don't want to push her, but GoodNights are darn expensive every single paycheck and they're just...gross, especially when she leaks through, which is often. I'm tired of washing sheets every single day and I'd much rather wash cloth dipes if they would come in a size to fit her.

Edited to add: this post comes after 2 days without electricity or GoodNights, frigid temperatures and way too many sleeping bags, blankets and towels soaked with pee that I couldn't wash. :rolleyes:

tchrgrrl

Jenny - My oldest is a super super soaker (Goodnights don't have a chance of making it through the night with him either). He will be 4 right after Christmas and is 41" and 45+ lbs - big for 4. The XL FB would likely fit your DD in the waist but they might be too short in the rise. The XXL FB might be a good fit for your DD - http://fuzzibunzstore.com/Fuzzi-Bunz-Singles--XXL-Youth-p-101.html.

Switching was a great choice for us since we were washing pee soaked bedding and jammies anyway - at least now we just was diapers. There are also pull up type training pants with pockets - so you can stuff them to be as absorbant as you need - we have tried the Happy Heiny and Mother of Eden (same maker as FB) but my DS doesn't like the pull up types. He is a FB addict!

If you decide not to switch to cloth, have you tried disposable diaper doublers? We found them at BRU or drugstores - they look like a long, wide maxi pad without the sticky tape.

scatterbunny

We used diaper doublers at night for awhile when she was in diapers and then I switched to a brand of diapers that she didn't leak through so we quit buying them. I never even thought to add them to a GoodNight, but I'd really rather invest in some cloth. I'd rather wash those than continue spending $20/month on GoodNights and washing pee-soaked jammies and bedding.

I'll look into the XXL FBs, thank you!

Dillipop

I just switched my 3 1/2 year old to cloth at night. He is trained during the day and we were using pullups at night and he was leaking on a regular basis.

I was able to get 6 trainers off the FSOT board at diaperswappers for about $60 (about $10 each used). I have already gotten back my investment in the 2 months we've been using them by not having to by pullups. If he were to train overnight tonight, I would be able to sell what I have for close to what I paid. However, I will keep them for when DS2 is in the same situation!

I have been using Medium Happy Heiney trainers for Dillon. He is about 37-38 pounds. I also have some size 4 snap-ez nap-ez pockets. (3 of each) These are both pocket trainers with an outer layer of PUL and an inner layer of fleece with a pocket opening to stuff absorbant layers into. I stuff them with a regular hand towel folded in half and then folded in thirds. We have yet to have a leak with these. Happy Heineys make trainers that go to XXL, which is 60+ pounds. New they are $16.50. Snap-ez makes their trainers up to size 10. New they are $17+ just for the pocket. If I were buying new, I would have bought from cloththoughts.com. She does customs and I could have gotten a great trainer (from what I've heard) for about $12.

hsjwmom

Jenny, have you thought about one of the bedwetting alarms? I'm waiting until my dd is 5, and then I plan to purchase one of these:

http://www.bedwettingstore.com/Buyers_Guides/buyers_guide_alarms.htm

I know that most kids outgrow the bedwetting, but I have a LONG family history of it. (maternal grandfather even after marriage, mom until teens, and me until 6 when my parents used one of those alarms)
I'm pretty sure dd is NOT going to stop on her own. I'm also tired of washing sheets, etc.!

skaterbabs

It's actually NOT uncommon for bedwetting to continue into the early teens, however be aware it can indicate a food or chemical sensitivity as well.

scatterbunny

It says at the bottom that children over 6 can learn to respond. I think I'll wait on something like that.

Hayley IS a really deep sleeper and I believe she has some food sensitivities, among other sensory issues. She used to have horrible night terrors, and now most of the time she is woken up from a sound sleep for any reason she gets hysterical.

I was a sleepwalker, and I remember one time waking up as I was peeing in my grandma's recliner (I was about Hayley's age). :p I remember clearly that I was dreaming I had walked into the bathroom and sat down on the toilet.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Jenny - Your DD sounds so much like my DS. He is such a deep sleeper - snores, grinds his teeth, the whole thing. We have a family bed, and he even slept through his little sister throwing up on the bed the other night. We had to move him from one side of the bed to the other to get it cleaned up and change the sheets, and he never woke up and had no recollection of it the next day. This is what I'm thinking about getting for him:
http://www.thestorkwearhouse.com/trainpants.htm#hheinys
The Happy Heiny's pocket trainers. It sounds like you can add as many inserts as you need, so I think it would be a good option for us. I thought about the XL or XXL Fuzzi Bunz, but I think he would throw a fit about going back into 'diapers' when he gets to use cool race car pull ups now, kwim?

didymama

motherease.com sells bedwetter pants that hold alot. might be worth a shot. i use large fitteds with a prefold and a wool or fleece cover and have no issues with my super duper soaker.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Leila was allergic to disposables: her entire butt within the lines of every diaper was bleeding & scabbing :( The medications didn't work so the Ped. suggested cloth -- my mom used coth & the stories were disguting, horrifying ... PINS :confused: :eek:

But, I found Bumkins & FuzziBunz & Happyheinys & Kissaluvs & Stacinaors & Chumbas ~ soooooo cool!!! =) Pretty & comfy & easy: I used a zippered PUL diaper bag for the dirty dipes & just tossed it all in together to wash without ever touching the mess =)

I love them so much I bought 3 friends who've had kids their start-up stashes, LOL! There's no way I'm ever using disposables again: I made it through vacations + camping trips hand washing Leila's without any other option & I will do it again when we decide to TTC....

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We CD too. Our "stash" is primarily HH (happy heiny's) and bG (the original bum genius). I think I like the BG the best; My littlest has worn them since he came home from the hospital, and still fits in them 15 lbs later, with room to grow.

He's starting to figure out the velcro, which is scary!

Our wash routine is pretty easy - I wash every other day or when there is a blowout. Toss in the wash, rinse, wash, and then dry on the line when the kids are playing on the swings or whatever. I have to be outside anyway, so why not?

ETA: While we really like the environmental factor, we CD because it's cheap. We expect to use our diapers for more than 1 child, which will make them even more cost efficient.

Last edited:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Just one more question - do they all HAVE to be line dried? I would be hanging them in the bathroom since its so stinkin cold here all the time! I would prefer something that could be tossed in the dryer - is that forbidden?

Simplysomething

Okay, I'm another one with a 5yo who's not dry at night yet. She's huge for her age, though...48 inches tall and 52 pounds. She also soaks GoodNights and can't stay dry at all. We have tried setting alarms and making her get up to go pee, but even when we do that (and deal with hysterical tantrums at 2 am) she still wakes up wet. I don't want to push her, but GoodNights are darn expensive every single paycheck and they're just...gross, especially when she leaks through, which is often. I'm tired of washing sheets every single day and I'd much rather wash cloth dipes if they would come in a size to fit her.

Edited to add: this post comes after 2 days without electricity or GoodNights, frigid temperatures and way too many sleeping bags, blankets and towels soaked with pee that I couldn't wash. :rolleyes:

I feel for you. My SIX year old still isn't dry at night. When he was 4 and still sleeping through, the doctor said, wait till he's five. If he's still doing it well talk. Then at 5, it was wait 'till he's 6. At six...well, apparently there are some option, like a medication that would help him stay dry etc, but really we haven't exhausted all of the options with helping him stay dry. [MORE later]).

But, I have to say, Goodnights are a godsend.

tchrgrrl

Just one more question - do they all HAVE to be line dried? I would be hanging them in the bathroom since its so stinkin cold here all the time! I would prefer something that could be tossed in the dryer - is that forbidden?
I never line dry (I am way too lazy LOL). I toss my Fuzzi Bunz, hemp, microfiber and wet bags right in to the dryer - one cycle on low and everything is dry and toasty warm. I have been putting everything in the dryer for nearly 2 years and my FB still look and work great - so I would say it isn't hurting anything. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC