Question Chicco Nextfit...has this happened with anyone else's seat?

ald2012

We have had 4 Chicco Nextfit's. We first bought one for each of our two cars, 2 years ago.The little push button that you push to loosen or pull the strap to tighten started to pop out. It would pop out every time you got the straps snug (and this was an arguably difficult seat to get the straps tight), making it very hard to tighten the straps. You could push it back in, but it wouldn't stay. After a couple frustrating weeks of dealing with that, Chicco sent us a replacement seat, free of charge, and we returned the defective one. About a year later, we were in a car accident, and our car seat was "totaled" by insurance, so we got another seat. This time I bought the super duper cushy one sold only by Babies R Us (the "Zip?"). Now, THIS seat is having the same issue with the push button popping out. Not to mention, it seems like one of our straps has gotten twisted somehow, and I don't know how to fix it. I haven't tried to take the cover off, but I'm so frustrated with this push button thing that I don't want to buy another Nextfit for DS #2, even though I've really liked everything else about the seat. DS #1 is still rear-facing, so I think the angle that you have to use to pull the strap to tighten it puts more strain on the button. I guess I'll call Chicco and complain about this (same) issue, but I'm wondering if it's just a fluke I've had, something I'm doing in particular to cause this to happen, or if it's something that has happened to other Nextfits? The seat is still useable, but I don't have enough arm strength to get the straps tight enough with the "pinch test" and hold the stupid push button in so it doesn't pop out at the same time.

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I haven't had this issue, but we also leave our straps tight and just buckle on a daily basis. I can't even remember the last time I pulled the adjustment strap, so I'm not sure whether I would have this problem if I did. I'm following this thread, though!

ald2012

I haven't had this issue, but we also leave our straps tight and just buckle on a daily basis. I can't even remember the last time I pulled the adjustment strap, so I'm not sure whether I would have this problem if I did. I'm following this thread, though!

How does this work? If the straps are tight, it seems like it would a)be much harder to get them out, and b)be more difficult to fish the straps out from underneath them. No? DH is always complaining that I don't loosen the straps enough when I take him out! Ha.

ald2012

I have heard of this issue on other Nextfits. I recommend reporting it to both Chicco and NHTSA.

Thanks for the NHTSA recommendation! I wish I had done that before with the first seat. There aren't a ton of complaints about this seat (I'm guessing not many people, like me, know about this "complaint" vehicle), but several of them are about this same or very similar issue.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
How does this work? If the straps are tight, it seems like it would a)be much harder to get them out, and b)be more difficult to fish the straps out from underneath them. No? DH is always complaining that I don't loosen the straps enough when I take him out! Ha.
I used to think this too, when people on here said that they left the straps tight I thought they were crazy! If it wasn't techs who were saying it, I would have assumed that they were just not keeping the harness tight enough. It was definitely true of our infant seat when our daughter was small -- loosening was just much much easier. But once our daughter got to be maybe 15 months old, I got tired of yanking the harness adjustment strap on the Nextfit. (On the roundabout I would pull slack from behind and so I was more likely to loosen every time, but even with that seat we leave it tight now.) I started by just gently working her arms out and in when she was awake and alert enough to help with the process, and I would still loosen the straps if I was taking her out while sleeping. Now, though, I can work her arms out under the straps without even waking her up!

I should add, though, that my daughter is not huge. She also doesn't fight me on the car seat much anymore.

ald2012

I used to think this too, when people on here said that they left the straps tight I thought they were crazy! If it wasn't techs who were saying it, I would have assumed that they were just not keeping the harness tight enough. It was definitely true of our infant seat when our daughter was small -- loosening was just much much easier. But once our daughter got to be maybe 15 months old, I got tired of yanking the harness adjustment strap on the Nextfit. (On the roundabout I would pull slack from behind and so I was more likely to loosen every time, but even with that seat we leave it tight now.) I started by just gently working her arms out and in when she was awake and alert enough to help with the process, and I would still loosen the straps if I was taking her out while sleeping. Now, though, I can work her arms out under the straps without even waking her up!

I should add, though, that my daughter is not huge. She also doesn't fight me on the car seat much anymore.

Thanks! I'm going to have to try that. I like the Nextfit a lot, but I don't think the pull strap was designed for rear-facing very well. I have installed it forward facing a couple times (short trips when piling into a vehicle with my whole family, and when he was almost 3 before anyone gets too worried!) and the straps are MUCH easier to tighten FF. I'm going to try this and see if it at least cuts down on the wear and tear on the button. I'm guessing Chicco will send me (another) new seat!

cookie123

I really prefer adjusting each time but caved with the Radian because the adjuster was such a pain. Luckily my grandson was old enough to be taught to put the harness on himself and that helped a lot! So give that a shot if kiddo is old enough.

featherhead

My first seat was a rear-adjust Snugride, so I definitely did not loosen and tighten each time! And I'm pretty sure I had the harness tight enough. I wasn't a tech then, but still knew my stuff fairly well. With my other babies I had a Keyfit and would loosen the harness each time. With convertibles, though, I only loosen and tighten as needed due to growth or extra layers of clothing.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've had a NF returned to BRU for the adjuster button breaking, but it allowed the harness to slide completely freely! It was awful, they just returned it, rather than reporting it to NHTSA, though, or even Chicco.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC