Britax Pioneer 70 or Recaro Performance Sport

1mommy

I was all set to get a pioneer 70 for my son (planning ahead for once my youngest outgrows his key fit in a year or so-not soon, he's still Ed). But then I realized the booster had a 40 pound limit vs 30 for the performance sport, and since my son is super skinny at the 5th percentile for weight, I might need the lower limit to booster him. You said your girls are petite so that's something to think about.

ADS

BMWBig6

So, I am bumping this thread cause I just can't decide....I have a ProSport and need a new harness booster, so I thought about trying something different just because and was leaning toward the Pioneer...cup holders (always fun for the kids), extra height, and longer exp....However, some of the reviews and a recent trip to Buy Buy Baby to see them in person gives me pause and I can't really put my finger on it. I love the width to the PS, and the new Performance padding is crazy thick, the seat just overall feels right to me...the way it encompasses the childs body. I even like the open belt path and it makes sense to me to have the seatbelt used the way it would be on a person (I know the tether is to still be used after a certain weight). But, I don't love the lower exp. and height limit. Most of my children don't need the extra height, except one but I am not sure even she needs it based on her age: She is almost 6 (I usually harness till 7ish) and is 45" tall, 42 lbs, 16" torso. The Pioneer just felt loose/flimsy along with the some of the "negative" thoughts on it I just am not sure. I considered the Frontier, but am not sure the click tight is worth it as we rarely take seats out (or is it worth it for a sturdier seat...?). One last thing about the PS that is irking me, is the seat cover and padding is falling apart from washing (we are only 3 yrs in) and to replace it is expensive. I feel they should at least meet me in the middle and discount it because of poor quality (normal washing and air dry).

So, would you try something new or stick with what you have and just get over the cover issue?

I'm trying to decide between the Frontier 90 and Recaro Performance Sport too, and honestly don't move seats between vehicles much so Britax's click-tight and Recaro's open belt path are not critical features for me. I'm more concerned with comfort, quality, and ease-of-use (buckling in harness mode, height adjustment, removal of cover for washing, etc.). I also don't care about having cupholders either. Is one better than the other?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
One last thing about the PS that is irking me, is the seat cover and padding is falling apart from washing (we are only 3 yrs in) and to replace it is expensive. I feel they should at least meet me in the middle and discount it because of poor quality (normal washing and air dry).

So, would you try something new or stick with what you have and just get over the cover issue?

Most carseat covers cannot be machine-washed. I would not expect a discount, especially after three years (I think the seat has a one-year warranty).

DawgDad

Most carseat covers cannot be machine-washed. I would not expect a discount, especially after three years (I think the seat has a one-year warranty).

Yep, this. It's discouraged from machine washing at all, so if you do you run the risk of ruining the cover (especially shrinking). If there is any washing, it is ok for most to hand wash.

I am pretty sure this would be the case if you did the same to any car seat cover...it will wear down over a few years.

salyluz

I know and even though I used a machine it was a hand wash cycle (I don't wash straps of course). I have many seats and need to do it with all of them (food, pee, vomit-we are in the car a lot) and this is the only one to actually be coming apart at the seams...Oh well, I really do like the seat and I think my hesitation (and reason for trying to find a reason) is that I don't want to get a different seat and then not love it or find the things I don't like about it are worse than a cover falling apart...The other draw to a different seat is a longer expiration. I have at least 2 more that could use a ff seat in the future...sigh...I just wish there really was a perfect seat...longer exp., cup holders, padding, easy install, recline, high weight and height, adjustable harness height from the front with smaller increments, and obviously safety...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Pretty much nothing looks like new after three years of heavy use. I understand your displeasure, but don't think that it's a reason to avoid Recaro (or that Recaro owes you anything).

DawgDad

I know and even though I used a machine it was a hand wash cycle (I don't wash straps of course). I have many seats and need to do it with all of them (food, pee, vomit-we are in the car a lot) and this is the only one to actually be coming apart at the seams...Oh well, I really do like the seat and I think my hesitation (and reason for trying to find a reason) is that I don't want to get a different seat and then not love it or find the things I don't like about it are worse than a cover falling apart...The other draw to a different seat is a longer expiration. I have at least 2 more that could use a ff seat in the future...sigh...I just wish there really was a perfect seat...longer exp., cup holders, padding, easy install, recline, high weight and height, adjustable harness height from the front with smaller increments, and obviously safety...

The new Performance Sport's fabrics seem to be a little bit of a higher quality than my daughter's older ProSport. I don't think it will fit on the older ProSports, but you can always ask...it's worth the investment on the better fabric if that's all you need to replace to get more life out of the seat.

Our kids love those seats so much there is no way that I would switch them out...especially since my oldest flat out said she did not like the Britax Frontier (which shocked us since she grew up in nothing but Britax).

nataliem257

That description sounds an awful lot like a frontier 90. Side note, I've washed my frontier 85 red rock mesh cover many, many times and other than fading it still looks very new, after 4 years of use.

MoreLatte

We prefer the Performance Sport over the Pioneer 70. DD had horrible head slump in the Pioneer and while I know it isn't proven to be unsafe, it bothered me because she is a car-sleeper.

DD prefers the PS also. The pioneer just seems rigid, while the PS is more comfortable for her. I like the way the harness pads are attached to the cover. DD will be 4 in 2 months and weighs 40 pounds. She is average height and I'm sure she will be able to be harnessed in the PS until age 6, which is my goal. I will say that my older DD, at age 8 and 65 pounds used the Pioneer on our trip to the beach(harnessed) and had no issues with head slump.

We are getting ready to replace the Boulevard for DD, and will definitely get another PS.

finn

I don't like the performance sport much, but I hate the pioneer so much I'd choose almost anything over it.

Can you tell me why you hate the pioneer? I have an original frontier I was looking at replacing (because I want a new seat not because there is anything wrong with it lol) and I think we can only get the click tight version (Frontier 90) do you not like that one either?

MoreLatte

Can you tell me why you hate the pioneer? I have an original frontier I was looking at replacing (because I want a new seat not because there is anything wrong with it lol) and I think we can only get the click tight version (Frontier 90) do you not like that one either?

We had the Pioneer in our Yukon and went back to the FR 85 in that vehicle. The Pioneer installed easily, we just didn't like it; it is now in my oldest DD's car, which DD6 rides in about once a month.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So what are some of your favorite combination seats?

Frontier 90, with the Nautilus and SecureKid 300 distant seconds. I would actually say the SureRide is my second fave ff seat. The only one s that beat the Pioneer for dislike are the baby trend hybrid and the Dorel ones (summit etc.)

salyluz

So, I was about to go with the PS again and found a local frontier 85 with 5 yrs left for $100. Talked to the owner and looked it over, seems good. Is it worth it? If I hate it I didn't spend my max and would be willing to buy the PS if it didn't work out....what do you think?

Dillipop

So, I was about to go with the PS again and found a local frontier 85 with 5 yrs left for $100. Talked to the owner and looked it over, seems good. Is it worth it? If I hate it I didn't spend my max and would be willing to buy the PS if it didn't work out....what do you think?

Are you close friends with the person selling it? Would you trust this person with your child's life. Do you for sure know the history of the seat? No chance of lies? If not, I'd skip it.

BMWBig6

Are you close friends with the person selling it? Would you trust this person with your child's life. Do you for sure know the history of the seat? No chance of lies? If not, I'd skip it.

By the same token, how does everyone feel about the "New but in an opened box" eBay specials? Many of them claim to have never been used or installed (still in original bag), but the boxes were "opened for inspection" and the outer packaging may have "slight cosmetic damage from shipping."

Dillipop

By the same token, how does everyone feel about the "New but in an opened box" eBay specials? Many of them claim to have never been used or installed (still in original bag), but the boxes were "opened for inspection" and the outer packaging may have "slight cosmetic damage from shipping."

If there was an adequate return policy if the seat didn't show up as described, ie tags weren't attached, I might be ok with it but I tend to stay clear of online seats like this. I did purchase an online return from target this week- but I was able to see quickly upon opening the box that the tags were fully attached and there was no possible way anyone had actually used the seat. But if I had opened it and it wasn't to my liking, I could easily return it since I was at target.

alanadoodle

I just got a Pioneer last week and I think I'm returning it. I don't know what it is, I really don't like it. I was disappointed. It just seems cheap. The straps are not as nice as the Marathon we were using or the Frontier 85 we have. My daughter complains about the crotch strap. I don't know what I'm going to get now. She is 5.5 but 35 pounds. Sigh.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC