Booster or Harness?

jeno

Senior Community Member
Looking for some to weigh in on my thoughts. We're planning a trip to AZ this spring. The trip will involve a lot of road time as we're be flying into PHX and then staying in multiple cities, making our way up to the Grand Canyon and back down to PHX again.

Most recently we've traveled with my DS riding lapbelt on the airplane (fits very well) and a RSTV at destination. I'm not comfortable with that this time around due to the longer driving times. I know he'll fall asleep in the car and its just not the most comfortable option for him.

DD will be riding in a Radian, both onboard and at destination.

For DS, I've been contemplating a booster option. I had planned to start booster training him anyway. He turns 5 on 3/1. His stats in my siggy are up to date. So my question is what booster for travel? He fits great in the Monterey which is what I intended to buy him eventually, but that seems way to big to travel with. We travel often, so I'm fine with having a dedicated booster just for that and its also nice just to have extras on -hand anyhow.

We have an extra Radian that we could bring along, but that is not the most comfortable for the airplane since he's pretty leggy at this point. The next consideration is that I'll be 22+ weeks pregnant so I'd like to keep simplicity/ease a key consideration for moving though the airport. It'll be my DH, me, + 2 kiddos.

Does the Probooster come apart easily? I've tried that one on him as well. Otherwise, I was planning to check out the TB when we had a chance. We have about 2mos til travel time so I think plenty of time to test out the booster route.

ADS

firemomof3

I would pick up a TB asap and start booster training him now so he'll be ready for the vacation :) The TB comes apart very easily and can be packed away in your suitcase.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No, I wouldn't booster him. Although he's certainly fine on the plane in lapbelt only, you're asking him to drive lots of hours, in unfamiliar territory, with lots of cool stuff to look at -- and remain in position 100% of the time, including sleeping, as a not-yet-5yo inexperienced booster rider. (ETA: I read his DOB as 5/1 not 3/1. If he will be 5, I might consider it, but I wouldn't count on it. It sounds like a lot to expect of him.)

Can you get a smaller/lighter travel seat for DD? What about taking the Frontier on the plane and using it for DD, and then stopping by a store when you arrive to get something like a Scenera40RF for her to use?

Or just bungee the Radian and Frontier onto a luggage cart and have DH handle it -- it really shouldn't be any more hassle than just taking the Radian.

ConnorsMommy

I agree with Carrie- I wouldn't use a booster for him for that trip either. To me, using a booster seat puts a lot of responsibility on the child to sit right, and, as Carrie mentioned, that would be hard for him since you will be doing so much driving. If you don't want to bring the Frontier or Radian, why not get him a Maestro to use on the plane and on your trip? It will be a good back up seat for him until he outgrows it, then your daughter can use it too.

jeno

Senior Community Member
If we go with a harness, I'm def. just bring the 2 Radians I already own. We have plenty of harnessed seats here, not sure that it would make sense to purchase a Maestro or Scenera when both of my kids are within lbs of outgrowing those.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you're ok with bringing both Radians, I would do that then. The other suggestions were just to have lighterweight, less expensive seats to travel with :)

jeno

Senior Community Member
Thanks. Yes, the Radians aren't a huge issue because we have the straps for backpack carry. But I'm already on lift restrictions, so I'm not sure I want to be carrying anything more than a rolling suitcase.

I'm not ruling out the booster. I'd still like recommendations so I can try them out. I honestly don't think it'll be an issue. DS has been using his RSTV for a year and does extremely well. He's very mature and a good listener when it comes to car safety. The only reason I haven't moved forward with booster training to date is that a booster isn't going to be the best option for us long term as I'll need a 3 across set-up in my car come August. Boosters fit, but its just tough for buckling purposes. The Frontier is just easier because he can do it himself.

jeno

Senior Community Member
UPDATE:

Knowing my son's maturity level and his frequent travel experience, we opted to use the Turbobooster. It worked great!!! No complaints at all and made our airport voyage much easier than hauling a 2nd Radian. He fits in it really well (right now, won't last much longer). He even fell asleep a few short times and I was able to lock out the seat belt and he stayed right into position. Behavior was perfect.

We brought our older RA65 for DD since its lighter than the XTSL so she had to ride FFacing, but that's OK for me. She's fine switching back and forth with direction.

Great trip. No issues in terms of flying and seats as usual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC