Booster for a 3 year old in Missouri?

artemis8

CPS Technician
I have a high back booster that my son fits the requirements for, 3 years, 30+ lbs, 38+ inches. However I am not positive of the Missouri law that requires children 0-4 to be in a child restraint system. It does not have a harness, it uses a seat belt. He seems to fit in it well as it doesn't rub on his neck or anything. And I trust my son to sit in it properly.
Does this seat qualify as a legal child restraint based on Missouri law since my son is still only 3, not 4 yet, does anyone know? Thanks.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I don't know what Missouri law is, but BEST PRACTICE is to keep the child in a harness until he is at least 4 years and weighs at least 40 lb. Every step "up" in seats is a step *down* in safety! Rear facing is safer than front facing, and a 5 point harness is safer than a booster.

scatterbunny

I wish legal minimums were not seen as the same thing as best practice. :( I'm so glad my tech class taught exactly WHAT state minimums were, but exactly WHY doing more than the minimum is safest.

That said, I'd never put a 3yo in a booster--not even a large 3yo. My daughter was 40 pounds and 42+ inches at 3, we did everything we could to find her a higher weight harnessed option, despite the fact that all the stores in this area only carry Graco infant seats, Cosco/Safety 1st convertibles (which are all WAY too short to get taller/longer-torsoed kids to a full 40 pounds without getting too tall for the harness first) and Graco TurboBoosters. So, since my daughter outgrew her 3-in-1 at 2.5 years old by height, I should have just moved her to a TurboBooster, or to the 3-in-1 as a booster. After all, she was 38 inches tall and 35 pounds. Thankfully I found this board and learned that if I travelled 2 hours I could purchase a seat that could still keep her harnessed...and she's 6 years old now, still fitting with years to grow in that seat. :)

Anyway, my long-winded opinion is that even IF it is legal, I wouldn't do it.

Have you seen crash test video footage of a harnessed seat and a booster seat?

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_...videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosipriori.mpg

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosirodi.mpg

Those are European tests (since the US doesn't release test results) of the Maxi Cosi Priori (a forward-facing only seat, but it's similar to some of our US seats) and the Maxi Cosi Rodi (similar to our Turbo Booster, and I believe the Rodi is now available in the US but I haven't heard any reviews to know if it is exactly the same or not).

It's clear that, while a booster does provide more protection for a child than a seatbelt alone, a harness provides even MORE protection by providing two more points of restraint, in my opinion highly important especially for such a small child.

As a CPST, I can understand the need to put some kids in boosters at age 3, at community seat checks, for example. But it's a last resort, IMHO. Sometimes finances mean a higher weight harness isn't an option. Thankfully with seats like the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, Evenflo Triumph Advance and Cosco/Safety 1st Apex/Biltmore, options are becoming more viable for lower income families.

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
Legal or not I would never do it! way to young and immature for a booster Not to mention why would you want to downgrade on safety?

Clarissa

ThreeBeans

Regardless of its legality it simply isn't safe. 4 years and 40 lbs is the BARE MINIMUM for a booster. Your child needs to be in a harnessed car seat for at least another year, preferably two.

A booster should be used AFTER he outgrows the harness on his carseat, and not before he is four years AND 40 lbs. After that he should be in a booster until he is approximatley 4'9" which can occur anywhere from 8-12 years of age.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
As others have said, no it's not legal, nor is it safEST.

Plus, to you (no offense intended, really!!) it may SEEM as if it fits him perfectly when in reality it might not.

Also if you can't trust him to keep it buckled, or keep him sitting properly in it every single trip (no leaning, no slumping, no extemporaneous wiggling) then it will not keep him safe no matter if it does fit him properly.

Until he is 4 years old, or until he reaches 40+lbs you MUST have him in a harnessed restraint.

Are you in the KC area? I know MAST had some harnessed boosters that were available through their fitting station for no cost. If you aren't in the KC area you might be able to find a tech or another agency by looking on the Safekids website.

Good Luck!

artemis8

CPS Technician
Actually I received the booster as a product for free that I am supposed to test. Since my son meets the 'product's' requirements I was curious on the legality of actually using in my car with my son to test it.

Legal or not I would never do it! way to young and immature for a booster Not to mention why would you want to downgrade on safety?

Clarissa

artemis8

CPS Technician
I am actually a CPS tech in the KC area. I am not trying to be cheap (I mean as far as contact MAST for a free one), I just received the booster seat and was wondering if legally he could use it. I know he will fit in his convertible for a little longer, but he is almost 40 inches (the limit on his Roundabout) and I think he will reach it well before he turns 4. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

As others have said, no it's not legal, nor is it safEST.

Plus, to you (no offense intended, really!!) it may SEEM as if it fits him perfectly when in reality it might not.

Also if you can't trust him to keep it buckled, or keep him sitting properly in it every single trip (no leaning, no slumping, no extemporaneous wiggling) then it will not keep him safe no matter if it does fit him properly.

Until he is 4 years old, or until he reaches 40+lbs you MUST have him in a harnessed restraint.

Are you in the KC area? I know MAST had some harnessed boosters that were available through their fitting station for no cost. If you aren't in the KC area you might be able to find a tech or another agency by looking on the Safekids website.

Good Luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC