Are JJ Cole Bundle Me's Safe?

catikin12

Hi. I know that there were reports that Bundle Me's weren't safe awhile back. But I saw that they redesigned the way the slots are on the side for the straps. So now along with the long vertical velcro "slit", there are also several rows of horizontal slits to accommodate the straps. Just wondering if this makes a difference as to how safe they are and if it would be okay to use one this time around. Thanks!

ADS

cpsaddict

Unfortunately, even the new design is unsafe due to the fact that it goes under the baby. You never want something under baby. Also, while there are slots for the harness, it may still not line up correctly. Not all car seats have the same spacing between slots.

Maedze

No, they are not safe. They are added bulk between the seat and the child and that is not acceptable. Dress your child in street clothes only, with hats, heavy booties and mittens, and tuck a good blanket around him once he's buckled in, and he will be warm without his safety being compromised :)

catikin12

Awesome! Thank you so much for replying so quickly to this! I'm glad to know what is the safest option here! I actually picked a couple of them up (the "lite" and "urban") b/c I had some coupons, but will be returning them the next time I am out! Thanks again!

Mommy0608

I agree about the Bundle Me... not safe for the car seat, but can be used in a stroller.

Something like this fleece bunting would be okay, too (especially if you have a kiddo who will kick off all the blankets, like I did :rolleyes:). However, it must be thin - NOT puffy. You don't want something that can compress in a crash, leaving the harness too loose. Thin fleece is okay. Thick and/or puffy jackets and snowsuits are not safe for anyone in the car (adults included).

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
We used a shower cap style cover for our son. It went over the entire top of the infant seat. It had 2 zippers and a flap to cover the face hole. Here's a pic of my son at 2 weeks in his. It was open, since we had just gotten home. I could add an extra blanket as needed, and then remove them as the car warmed up.

CarSeat.jpg

He was wearing a 2 peice fleece suit from carters, long sleeve body shirt, onesie and socks. All in newborn.

Susan

catikin12

First- thanks for the input about using it in a stroller- although I will have footmuffs for that and wouldn't mind using a blanket in the stroller when the car seat is in use with it! I also already assumed that it's safety issue was solely pertaining to the car seat (and not really an issue in a stroller), but I guess that some ppl might not be aware of that- so thank you for covering your bases!
As for the shower cap type cover... where can I find those? Would I really just google "shower cap car seat cover"? If you know of any brands, please feel free to share (esp if you think some are better than others!)!Thanks!!!
And, SusanMae, your little guy is SUCH a cutie!!!

jenbus

I actually "retro-fitted" the BundleMe and it worked great.

I cut along the back so that there was an open rectangle...the butt/ hips, back and shoulders of my little one were in contact with the seat back. The BundleMe then sat under her head and legs. It stayed in place great, provided the cover that I wanted and was safe.

FYI...I didn't finish off the open fabric and it didn't run or shred at all. It has washed up just fine (though I should say that I didn't have to wash it much...). I would imagine that it would be pretty simple to finish off the seams and seal them up.

rachelandtyke

Here are some examples:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Baby-27s-Cozy-World-Microfiber-Carrier/dp/B000VQT4XC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1278642720&sr=1-6"]Amazon.com: Baby's Cozy World Microfiber & Fleece Carrier Cover - Taupe: Baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-CozyUp-Carrier-Cover-Pink/dp/B000TW0R4I/ref=pd_cp_ba_1"]Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus CozyUp Carrier Cover, Pink: Baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nojo-Doulbe-Zipper-Baby-Cover-Up/dp/B002QU9Q1G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1278642834&sr=1-4"]Amazon.com: Nojo Doulbe Zipper Baby Cover-Up - Sage Velboa with Elephant Pull: Baby[/ame]

We have an older nojo one and love it!

catikin12

RE: rachelandtyke:
THANK YOU SO MUCH for these links! Brand names are the easiest to google! I haven't had too much success googling "shower cap car seat cover"! And- the ones that you gave me links to are all a BUNCH cheaper- BONUS!!! Thanks again!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Ours was a Cozy Cover from Wal Mart. My mom found it off season for $3, they typically run closer to $20. Thanks for the compliment....he's now 18 months and quite the busy boy.

Susan

catikin12

K, so this may seem like somewhat of a stupid question to pose, but...
all of those seem to have a "hole" for the head to pop out of. Wouldn't you ever be concerned about the baby shifting their head to the side and then being covered by it/stuck underneath? Again- it might be a totally dumb question to ask, but it's just a thought that crossed my mind looking at these to see which one I liked the best! Thanks!

Pixels

The hole is for ventilation, not for baby to actually put their head through. The cover goes over the top and hovers above baby (kinda like Saran wrap goes across the top of a bowl, and hovers above the food). The baby is down inside the seat, and the cover is a couple of inches above.

luvsviola

I LOVE them in the stroller. I actually went and bought the toddler version when DD outgrew the baby version. Blankets fall off and get caught in the wheels. This stays put, and is awesome.

I had the Eddie Bauer shower cap style at Target and it was great on my SafeSeat. It has vents you can unzip in the car, a binkie holder, and a couple pockets. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Mae

I actually "retro-fitted" the BundleMe and it worked great.

I cut along the back so that there was an open rectangle...the butt/ hips, back and shoulders of my little one were in contact with the seat back. The BundleMe then sat under her head and legs. It stayed in place great, provided the cover that I wanted and was safe.

FYI...I didn't finish off the open fabric and it didn't run or shred at all. It has washed up just fine (though I should say that I didn't have to wash it much...). I would imagine that it would be pretty simple to finish off the seams and seal them up.

RE: jenbus:
Do you have any pics you would be willing to post? And thanks for the idea!

If you Click Here, it will bring you to a post by a member who has a picture of the Bundle Me with the back cut out. :)

A lot of people still prefer to just use the shower cap style covers though. My nephew had one and we loved it.

Jennifer mom to my 7

http://babypolargear.com/
This company makes some great covers, and even have one for a convertible.

Also, as far as the hole for the head goes, I don't think I ever put the baby in the car and left it zipped up. I always unzipped it once we were in the car, as they would also have a blanket on under, too. Then, as we traveled, I would have a sibling take blankets off;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC