Am I just over worrying?

Jackie010307

I have mentioned this a little in a different thread but not in a lot of detail. DD is 6. She has been in her parkway sgl since school started in Sept. I wanted to keep her harnessed longer, but our children attend a small private school and all field trips are parent driven. Knowing I would not be available to attend every one of them I made the decision to booster train her and trust her to buckle and sit still more than I trusted whichever parent was driving her to install and use her seat correctly. She has done really well in the booster, but the longest trip we have taken has been just over 3 hours. On the rare occasion she falls asleep she ends up looking straight up at the ceiling or just laying her head on the head wings. The issue is that this summer we are taking a massive road trip, the shortest leg of it will be 6 hours and the longest over 12. Of course we will stop for breaks, but I am nervous about her being in the booster and being bored and tempted to lean out of position. Our older children were not in a booster until they were 7 (almost 8 really) so I have never done a road trip with a newly turned 6 year old in a booster. The other issue is that I'm pretty sure the only harnessed seats she will fit in are the frontiers. I need to measure her torso but she's not here. I know I tried a few size 8 swimsuits on her and they were way too short. She *might* have fit in a 10. I tried her in a radian yesterday after talking about it in another thread and she is well over the top slots. Ok'd by diono I know, but not really something I want to spend the money on when there is no one to use it after her. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a frontier since there's no one to hand it down to, either. Ok, so I do cause I've got new car seat itch, but the big question is, is it justified? Would you buy a frontier for a road trip for a 6 year old who has done well in a booster for 10 months by that point? If you read all that, thank you!

ADS

Baylor

IT sounds like she is doing great in a booster, I would not move her into a harness at this point. If she sleeps in position than that is half the battle.

No. I would not buy a fr for a 6 yr old.

She will be fine. Make sure she has what she needs in reach, take your breaks and enjoy the trip.

thepote

IT sounds like she is doing great in a booster, I would not move her into a harness at this point. If she sleeps in position than that is half the battle.

No. I would not buy a fr for a 6 yr old.

She will be fine. Make sure she has what she needs in reach, take your breaks and enjoy the trip.

Yes to all this - that's how my 7 and 9 year olds sleep in their boosters. Sounds like she's good to travel. :)

Keeanh

If you have a carseat nut friend ;) with a Monterey or Probooster, you could maybe trade for the duration of the trip. I think those may have slightly more supportive headwings for sleeping. But other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. You already know she can sleep upright, so that's the important thing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC