3 across in Prius w/Diono - heavy kids

toby

CPS Technician
There are a lot of threads about 3 across, but I haven't found quite what I needed.

I've got a 2010 Prius. Once every week or two, we transport our young friend and all of her children. Mom is fairly large, so needs the front seat, leaving us with the backseat for all three kids.

Child 1: Age 5, perhaps 50 pounds.
Child 2: Age 3, just over 50 pounds (yes, really)
Child 3: Age 18 months, perhaps 30 pounds

I own one Diono R120. The youngest child usually rides in a Cosco Scenera, rear facing. But we need our own seats, so I can install them in advance.

We tried the Diono in the outboard side, the Scenera in the center, and a Cosco high back booster on the other side. Resounding failure. I won't even tell you what came next - it won't happen again.

One option is to buy two more R120s. They hold every one of these kids, they have high weight limits, and they're narrow. But they're expensive and heavy. I'm hoping to put the two younger children in Diono 120s, and get a narrow booster for the 5 year old.

1. Should I bite the bullet and put them all in Diono seats?
2. If I go with a booster, what's the narrowest one out there?
3. Have any of you put two Diono side by side with a booster in a Prius? What's the best configuration?

Thanks everyone!

Toby McAdams
CPS tech in Minnesota

ADS

creideamh

Some options:

The easiest one is going to be the 3 Radians (FF, RF, FF) if you are leaving the seats in the car and transporting the kids fairly regularly. A booster in a tight 3 across is a giant PITA and even with a very narrow one, will likely require you to have the child sit, pull child+booster out toward the door, buckle, and push child+booster back in. (Owner of a Prius and many 3 across configurations here.)

A slightly cheaper option would be 1 Radian, 1 RSTV, and 1 Bubblebum. Neither of the latter 2 are especially fun to buckle kids into many times a day, but for occasional rides, it's not bad and will definitely fit.

There might be a couple of other combos possible- the Defender is narrow, but I've read it's pretty much impossible to properly install in a Prius (not tried it myself.) You might want to try it for yourself (2 outboard and the RF Radian in the center.)

Hope that helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC