2000 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab Tether ? and seat ?

JustJack

HI,
1st Q:
My Dh's work truck is a 2000 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab Z71 and I can't find the top tethers. We have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 and the tethers are in plain sight. Are the 2000 ones in a different spot?

2nd Q:
DS is almost 4 and 38ish lbs. He has almost outgrown the Scenara and looking for a new seat for DH's trucks. I want to keep him harnessed but don't really want an $$ seat (he already has a Frontier for my car). What is a good cheaper seat for him? I was thinking the Nautilus unless there is another cheaper option.

ADS

ctbcleveland

I will start with question #2.

The evenflo Maestro would be a good choice for your 4 year old. It is approximately $70 - $80 and is sold in stores at Target. It is narrow and has a slightly smaller footprint.

The Nautilus has a larger base and can be dificult to fit on the rear seat of many pick up trucks.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
There are no top tethers in the 2000 truck. Chevy does retro-fit tethers in some of their vehicles. I don't have my book available right here though to get you that info.

I second the suggestion for the Maestro, you can also get them at Burlington Coat Factory, and sometimes Sears.

ctbcleveland

Ok - I asked because in Canada, tethers are required.

I am hoping that someone with a LATCH manual will chime in on the availability of a retrofit for your vehicle.

Does your vehicle have passenger airbags? If so, can they be turned off?

If your vehicle can't be retrofitted, your only options would be to use a car seat untethered in the back or to use the seat in the front and tether to the seatbelt in the second row. If you put the carseat upfront, it is preferable to push it as far back as possible and turn off the airbags, if that is an option.

I don't know which I'd choose, that is a tough parental decision.

Have you checked your vehicle owner's manual to see if there is a tether anchor behind the front passenger seat? Some pick ups have that.

Dorothy

I got a TA kit from our dealership. (No one in the service department knew what it was and wasn't interested in putting it in, so I did it in the parking lot while a parts department person helped.)

In our '00 Silverado ext cab, there are two naked bolts on the floor toward the back wall passenger and center. The kit was a washer-like piece w a place to hook the tether and a bolt. That was it. There was a pictogram in the package showing how to install it. Let me look through my old posts to see if I can find the bulletin number for you.

ETA- US GN Service Bulletin 99-09-40-004a

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org

vamom

I had two installed in my 1996 chevy silverado ext cab truck. Th e dealership was clueless. I called chevrolet, got transferred around until they gave me the part #. Then I called the dealership and they ordered them and installed two for free.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC