Marathon for newborn?

house_of_boys

Opinions? I'd like to avoid a "bucket" seat this time around if possible. My almost 5yo is currently in a Marathon and I was considering bumping him up to my 6yo's Regent and using the Marathon for the new baby. My previous kids have all been over 8lbs at birth and right around 22 inchs (not sure if that makes a difference) What are the pro's and con's of using the Marathon from birth?

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The Marathon doesn't tend to fit many newborns well, though that varies.

I used a convertible from birth with my DD, and I'd do it again - I hate infant seats! Just a personal preference, but I completely understand wanting to skip it! :)

My DD was in a Roundabout, which has the same lowest-harness slots as the Marathon. Britax has changed its manual since my DD used it, and requires a better fit. While that's a good thing, it means that most newborns can't use their convertibles.

There are other convertibles available that fit newborns better, though. I realize you're trying to avoid buying another one, though, so I'm not sure that's much help. Is your Marathon near expiring? If it has a few years left, you could sell it to help cover the cost of a different convertible.

Some of the convertibles that fit newborns well are the Sunshine Kids Radian, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, the Compass True Fit, the Cosco Scenera, and I think the Recaro convertibles (not sure on those).

vonfirmath

The Cosco Scenera is generally only about $50 and also makes a good travel seat. So you might want to consider getting it until your baby fits well into the Marathon.

a_js

Based on my experience I would tend to say no. DS was on the larger side, 16 pounds at 4 months, and that was when we moved him to the Marathon because he outgrew the infant seat by height. I think before that he would have swum in it.

solmama

The Truefit would be better for a newborn. Lots of padding, lower slots than a MA. And has a 7 year expiration. The headrest removes so it takes up less space, rear-facing. It has lockoffs, the harness can be moved without uninstalling the seat. Sidewings for sleeping when kiddo is older. We really like ours.

lorinick

The Marathon doesn't tend to fit many newborns well, though that varies.

I used a convertible from birth with my DD, and I'd do it again - I hate infant seats! Just a personal preference, but I completely understand wanting to skip it! :)

My DD was in a Roundabout, which has the same lowest-harness slots as the Marathon. Britax has changed its manual since my DD used it, and requires a better fit. While that's a good thing, it means that most newborns can't use their convertibles.

There are other convertibles available that fit newborns better, though. I realize you're trying to avoid buying another one, though, so I'm not sure that's much help. Is your Marathon near expiring? If it has a few years left, you could sell it to help cover the cost of a different convertible.

Some of the convertibles that fit newborns well are the Sunshine Kids Radian, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, the Compass True Fit, the Cosco Scenera, and I think the Recaro convertibles (not sure on those).

I just wanted to add in the Britax Blvd. it has the infant body pillow and the head wings makes gives baby a more snug feel. I started using mine at 7mts. I thught ds looked more snug in the Blvd. that the Marathon.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Here's Ilana at about 9# (3 mos) and 22". She was still about an inch under the bottom slot of the BV. She was just even w/ the bottom slots of the MA at 10 mos! If starting at birth w/ a convertible, Britax is not my top choice. She fit much better in a Radian and fit at 8#.
carseats007.jpg

sunnymw

Here is my 3 week old in the Boulevard... not sure of weight but he was born at 8-4 and 19inches.

2ebv015.jpg

2ebv016.jpg

And here he is in the Radian at 3 days old
riding013.jpg

firstride006.jpg

Also, he's wearing cloth in the BV picture which makes a good bit of difference too ;)

Kat_Momof3

remember... you can always use a baby bucket, but leave it in the car and take baby in and out of the seat, leaving the seat in the vehicle, just as you would with a convertible seat.

JOII

Here is my DD in the Scenera and Marathon and 2.5 weeks. She was a large girl. At this point, 9.5 lbs and 22.5" so her fit represents a larger baby.

Scenera, slots were about .5" below her shoulders, it was a good fit.

IMG_5007.jpg

Slots were still about .5" ABOVE her shoulders. The fit was decent for a new born but I would have only used it if I had to.

IMG_5000.jpg

Defrost

remember... you can always use a baby bucket, but leave it in the car and take baby in and out of the seat, leaving the seat in the vehicle, just as you would with a convertible seat.

But that still misses the point of skipping the bucket seat so you can avoid paying $100-ish for a seat you only plan to use for a few months.

house_of_boys

Thanks for the replies.

So, if buying another seat is unavoidable, what's the safest cheap bucket? Seeing as we'd be using it for 6 months max (most likely) it would be nice not to have to spend big bucks to have a safe baby ;)

I really like the Marathon, so selling it and getting another convertable doesn't appeal to me. ALthough your pics do make the Radian look really nice! Our Marathon is approximateloy 18months old, so I may be able to get some money for it if we had to go that route.

Defrost

I'm not very familiar with the various infant seats, but the safest seat is the one that fits your child, fits your car, and that you'll use correctly every time.

All carseats must pass the same crash-test standards, so it comes down to choosing the right one. Here are some things to look for:

A carseat with a front-adjust harness means you're more likely to use it correctly every time, because it's easier to tighten the harness correctly.

5-point harnesses nearly always fit babies better than 3-point harnesses.

Different infant seats have different requirements for the handle position while in the car - if the handle has to be in a certain position (as in, not up), will you remember to put it in that position every time? Is it easy to put in that position? Will your dh and anyone else using the seat remember?

If at all possible, try installing it in your car first, to make sure it installs fairly easily and is compatible.

Also, if it were me, I'd be asking trusted friends and relatives if they had an infant seat I could borrow for a few months until my baby fit in the Marathon. The whole point of an infant seat is the "convenience" of being able to carry the baby in it - if you're not going to do that, you're spending quite a chunk of money on a "convenience" you don't even plan to use!

Wineaux

Check out the Compass infant only bucket seats. If you look in the Shopping forum here you will find a 25% off coupon for The Learning Curve's website. There is also a 10% off coupon code, as well as no taxes and free shipping for Amazon. The Compass seat's are 100% EPS foam throughout, fit infants as low as 4 lbs, and are quite simply one of the easiest seats to install out there. With the various discounts available right now, you should be well under $100.
:twocents:

U

Unregistered1

The Graco Snugride front adjust is a decent infant seat too. I would look for one with EPS. Some of them may be going on sale now, Graco just came out with some adorable new covers for the snugride so the older ones might be going on sale.

Misty-Bug

Here is my 3 week old in the Boulevard... not sure of weight but he was born at 8-4 and 19inches.

2ebv015.jpg

2ebv016.jpg

And here he is in the Radian at 3 days old
riding013.jpg

firstride006.jpg

Also, he's wearing cloth in the BV picture which makes a good bit of difference too ;)

I was just gonna ask what about a Radian? As you can see it fits the newborn pretty darn well. And it will go a long time. The Premier goes to 80lbs, includes the infant body pillow and head support. Although the top harness slots are the same height as the 65. You are really paying for the extras on the seat.

Kat_Momof3

she hadn't mentioned the reason, so I mentioned it in case it was simply out of the thought a lot of people seem to have - that if you have an infant seat, you have to use it as a carrier.

as for an inexpensive infant carrier, I would look at the babytrend flexloc, the compass one that was mentioned, and the cosco/safety1st designer 22.

Kat_Momof3

you can get the body pillow/headrest that comes standard in the 80 simply by ordering it separately through skjp.com it is called the COMFY SOFT

it's cheaper to get it and a radian 65 than to get the 80.

Kat_Momof3

you can get the body pillow/headrest that comes standard in the 80 simply by ordering it separately through skjp.com it is called the COMFY SOFT

it's cheaper to get it and a radian 65 than to get the 80.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC