Need help with 3 across Rav4 2006

Itzfaith

Ok, right now my boys are 4 and 6, each weighing 40 and 42lbs. Basically they are both in Graco Turbo Boosters with High Backs. I just got in from looking at the back seat of my Rav 4.

This is what I discovered:

The 2 seatbelts (center and driver side back) that everyone says can not be buckled at the same time, CAN actually be buckled at the same time. I sat back there with both boys. I sat in the middle and could buckle myself in while the boys were also buckled. SO my conclusion is that there is a 3rd seat option. Also. In the way back of the car, close to the back door there is a tether latch thing. You just pop it open and it is meant for the center seat for a car seat. It even has a diagram of the carseat on the outside of that compartment. SO, what I am thinking is that an infant car seat could potentially fit in between 2 narrow boosters or maybe even the Radian, if the infant seat is buckled with the 3rd seat belt strap and is tethered as well.

This is also probably not the most safe option, but couldn't I borrow the inner latch of the actual seats in the back and latch the infant seat since those latches will not be used for the boosters since they are used with the regular seat belt?

I know there has to be a way to get 3 kids in the back safely, even if it is tight. So long as everyone is buckled, it will be ok, right?

Please let me know if anyone objects, but I cannot afford a new car right now and I'm hoping to atleast get one more year out of my rav4 before I have to get a mini van. I will if I have to, but am trying every possible solution first.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome to the forums! I reviewed a 2011 RAV and I don't think they changed the geometry of the back seatbelts. I was able to get 3 across. It wasn't easy or pretty, but it was doable. And most importantly, the vehicle manual doesn't prohibit it.

However, you can't borrow the center LATCH in Toyotas. So whatever seats you choose should use the seatbelt. There's a new backless booster at Target by Dorel--the Topside, I believe--that's very narrow. I think your 4 yr old should still be in a highback, though.

There are a variety of narrow infant seats, but it comes down to puzzling the seats together. One may be narrow on paper, but it doesn't fit well with the seats next to it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A four year old in a booster is very young, but if he sits properly he's probably ok. He meets the bare minimums for it. Do you have the screws in? About 80% of my daughter's school doesn't put them in, and there are so many Turbos you'd think Graco was giving them away for free.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They can be buckled at the same time- but you can't have a permanently installed car seat in either one and have it really work.

The BubbleBum fits well in the center. I've done a Ride Safer Travel Vest outboard with a BubbleBum in the center, and that worked. It would be a pain for every day, but it would work... A narrow booster outboard (high back) should work with a BubbleBum center, too. It will be a real pain to buckle though.

You may find that even if it works, you want to find another vehicle pretty soon, because it's a pain to deal with daily.

Itzfaith

Both boys are using the highback boosters. I just feel like they are safer this way. The high back makes it so the seatbelt lays across their body the right way. Both boys sit very still in the car and actually love watching their dvd players since we don't watch much tv at home. I looked into the Bubble seat and I don't feel good about it, but it might work for my oldest. However, for my 4yr old, even though he is at just the right weight for the booster, that is the least I will do. If I could find a 5pt harness booster with high back more narrow than his graco tubro booster, I would invest in it, if that meant I could get my infant in the car safely as well.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you have a narrower booster in the middle, it should allow room for a seat behind the passenger for the baby. I've had better luck with the Chicco Keyfit than other infant seats there. The Radian installs really well in that position-but not at an angle for a newborn, if you want the front seat useable.

Why do you "not feel good" about the BubbleBum? Just because it's a backless booster? I admit it's not usually my first choice for a 6 year old for a full-time seat, but the center is the safest spot as far as side impacts, so I'm not too worried about it there, and a 6 year old will probably have quite good belt positioning in a BB (it also comes with a shoulder belt adjuster strap.) It's the only option I tried in that center spot that really left the other seat fully useable for another booster or vest, though I haven't tried the new Cosco backless mentioned above yet, so that's why it was my recommendation. The BB sat fully between the seatbelt anchors which is honestly quite impressive (and made me feel it was safe- I didn't feel great about other options that led to seats not being between the anchors.)

Itzfaith

I think my 6yr old is tiny or his age. He would definitely need the seat belt adjuster, so that's why he's still in high back booster. I could get a BB for the middle and just put the baby right behind me, and maybe my 4yr old on the back of passenger side. I suppose that would be the easiest way for both the boys to get in and out the easiest. It's probably even easier for my to get the infant seat out. AND the infant seat would be latched correctly. Does anyone oppose to this? Is everyone still safe this way? Also, can a 4yr old 40lbs preschooler use the BB as well?Of course, with the seat belt ajuster?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The problem is that if you have a permanently installed seat driver's side it will make buckling in the center difficult to impossible, unless you reinstall the baby's seat every time. The center belt has to be buckled before the driver's side belt when I put my kids in Grandma's RAV 4.

The BB approves use by a 40 lb 4 year old, but as an every day situation, I'm way more comfortable with the 6 year old in a backless, as he is less likely to need the physical "reminder" of the high back to sit still.

Itzfaith

It seems to me that I could get my 6yr old to buckle himself before putting the infant seat in the base next to him. The seat belt for the center seat actually comes from above and behind the driver side back seat, which means it is not hard to pull it and buckle, even if there is an infant seat next to him. I think if I can, I might keep my 4yr old in his graco turbo booster, and he can sit on the passenger side back seat. My 6ry old can be buckled in the center seat, and infant can be directly behind me. NO?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm, it might or might not work, depending on the shape of the base, I guess. I'm very uncomfortable with a permanent seat installed over the other belt personally, but you could rry it. Then you'd only have the space issue to deal with... Also, what will you do when the infant seat is outgrown and you need a rear-facing convertible? Since Toyota doesn't allow touching the front seats, even the driver's side, with advanced airbags, I've yet to fit a rear-facing seat successfully behind the driver in a RAV 4, though if you are short it might not be an issue.

Itzfaith

I am pretty short, but my hope is that we will get a mini van before the baby outgrows the infant carrier. I am getting a Graco Snugride 30 or a Chicco Keyfit, and my babies tend to be on the small side for a really long time, so I don't anticipate needing a FFing seat until they are atleast 18 months

canadiangie

Hi :)

Having a seat installed overtop of another seatbelt that's in use makes me very nervous. I would not be comfortable with it, personally. I envision the seat/child being flung out of position as soon as that other seatbelt has any pressure put on it in a collision. I hope that makes sense. I think I would be especially nervous with an infant seat.

Just my 02 cents. Feel free to ignore me.

bubbaray

I own a 2010 RAV4 and I would be very uncomfortable installing a seat overtop of another (used) seatbelt. I personally would not do 3 across in restraints in my RAV4.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The AAP's absolute bare minimum for forward facing is two years. Preferably your baby will face the rear until closer to four.

Wendy

Itzfaith

What I meant was that once my child outgrows the infant seat usually around 18 months I would then need a convertible seat, but not necessarily put them in the FFing position.

I called Toyota today and was kindly explained how to retrain 3 children in the seats I have. I followed along with my owner's manual and now it makes perfect sense to me.

Toyota says the Rav4 is meant to be a 3 seater, regardless of who is sitting in the 3 seats, adults or chidlren. In my situation, the infant seat would go in the middle, using the center seat seatbelt. The seatbelt extends from the right and back of the right seat. That seatbelt would extend to the left side of the carseat (if rear facing, pretend you are the babe) and go through the seatbelt tunnel and buckle on the right of the infant seat. That is the only way to retrain a rear facing seat in that center position. Toyota also said a convertible seat in the rear facing position could only be in the center if it does not touch the driver and passenger seat. Toyota said I should not have any problems sitting 2 children on the outer back seats in booster seats with high backs so long as they fit in the seat and do not take up more than the actual seat. In other words, the most narrow booster would be best. both children should have no problems beign buckled in without interfeering with the infant seat in the middle. The seat belts work all at the same time. Ideally though, if one wants it to be easier to buckle and unbuckle the children on the outer seats, a convertible foward facing seat might be better if they are latched instead of usuing the actual seat belt.

Another way to do this is to put the infant seat on the back passenger seat and latch, or use the seat belt. Then have one child in booster in the middle using the seat belt provided, and the other child on the outer seat behind the driver, using that seatbelt provided.

When the infant outgrows the infant seat, a convertible seat can be used rear facing on any of the outer back seats, or forawrd facing the middle using the center tether.

This was information provided by Toyota, according to my precise make and model using my Vin #.

According to toyota, if the infant seat is installed properly based on the manual and car seat manufacturer guides, the center and right back seatbelts should not interfere at all, which is what I discovered when I sat in the middle and my 4 yr old sat beside me, and we were both buckled.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You have tethers on the side, too, so you can put a forward facing seat there as well.

A "forward facing seat" is a combination seat or booster. It's one that only forward faces. Semantics, but you're on a carseat board, so it's important to use the terms properly.

Wendy

Itzfaith

Thanks for the information, but I think were I live in Ohio it is atlest 20lbs AND atleast 2 years old. My boys were over age 2 before they sat foward facing in a convertible. Isn't how long you keep them rear facing a personal choice as logn as you respect the law?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The AAP has said since 2002 to the maximum limits of the convertible. I'll get you wording when I'm home later.

It's always safer to rear face. For you and me too. Yes, your choice. I'm offering you a free alternative to reduce injury and death up to 534% from the number one killer of kids. Why wouldn't you rear face as long as possible?

I'd love to see a study if you have one, or real life accident data showing forward facing is safer after two. I haven't seen any yet.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh, no states state two years rear facing. I wish. Most don't even state 1 and 20 as law. Not sure about Ohio. Something else to check when I'm not on my phone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC