New Peg Perego convertible seat

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ya, it's been discussed. Basically, i dnt think anyone could imagine why anyone would buy it. It's got ridiculously low limits, and ridiculously high price point...there is nothing redeeming about it at all. It's not even like the CCO for example, which fills a special niche, etc. It's worthless and ridiculously expensive.

canadiangie

Specs say use latch and top tether to 40lbs

Then use seatbelt to install from 40-65lbs.

Eta: I'm on my iPad so can barely function, lol, but below in the bullets... Hmmmm.

Peg Perego has given birth to the new Primo Viaggio Convertible. This premium car seat comes with EPS side foam in the shell and in the head panels for superior Side Impact Protection (SIP). The SIP is easy to adjust, even with your baby in the seat. The wide padded seat includes a specially shaped removable cushion for newborns and a quick release five point safety harness. Primo Viaggio Convertible is fastened to the vehicle by means of standard lap or shoulder lap vehicle belts or using LATCH connector and Top Tether straps according to FMVSS–213 and CMVSS–213 Regulations.

•In rearward facing mode for children 5–30 pounds.
•In forward facing mode by means of LATCH connector and Top Tether strap for children 20–40 pounds.
•In forward facing mode by means of lap or shoulder lap belts for children 20–65 pounds.

Return Policy: This item is final sale. No exchanges or refunds available

Peg Perego - 2011 Convertible Car Seat

simplychels

http://www.snugglebugz.ca/brand/peg-perego/2011-convertible-car-seat-8088.html

Has this been discussed before? I know this is the first time I've seen it on the store websites. It looks like a Marathon & a Coccoro had a baby. Way to be creative with the name :rolleyes:.

Exactly!!

Price point doesn't bother me. But really for 30lbs rf'ing I wouldn't buy it with the expectation that it would be bang for buck. I'd buy it because it's cute. But well it's not even that....So yeah, I wouldn't buy it. Slap a 40lb+ rf'ing limit on it, and a versa tether and there will be discussion. Throw a cute cover option in there somewhere and there will be a wallet opening. Until then, waste of a seat opportunity imo.

Last edited:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I'd buy one becasue it is cute...not everyone fixates on price so much so I do not understand why that always turns people off products.:confused:

crawford

The specs posted here are different from the Peg Perego website:
Peg Perego's website said:
  • In rearward facing mode for children 5–35 pounds (2,3 à 15,9 kg).
  • In forward facing mode by means of LATCH connector and Top Tether strap for children 20–40 pounds (9,1 à 18,1 kg).
  • In forward facing mode by means of lap or shoulder lap belts for children 20–70 pounds (9,1 à 31,8 kg).

If one were to go by the specs on the website, then the seat would not be considered to be compliant with the new regulations. But I find it difficult to believe that a company would introduce a non-compliant seat after the original effective date of the updated regulations. Who knows?

As for the price, I don't understand all of the anger. It's right in line with many other models on the market.

I'd be interested in reading some reviews from people who have actually used it.

featherhead

The specs posted here are different from the Peg Perego website:

If one were to go by the specs on the website, then the seat would not be considered to be compliant with the new regulations. But I find it difficult to believe that a company would introduce a non-compliant seat after the original effective date of the updated regulations. Who knows?

As for the price, I don't understand all of the anger. It's right in line with many other models on the market.

I'd be interested in reading some reviews from people who have actually used it.

These are the US specs. The PP have listed the Canadian specs from the snugglebugz website.

alake

I am quite sure that if this seat was out when my 17 month old niece had grown out of her Peg Perego infant carrier, this would have been the convertible that she had gotten.

canadiangie

I don't like that it doesn't specify using the top tether as well when you use the seatbelt to install from 40-65lbs.

It's irrelevant that most kids won't get much past 40lbs... it still needs to specify that the top tether be used.

I hope this isn't a case of the latest buzz about being cautious with upper latch limits (which includes top anchors, apparently) colliding with the reality that top tethering is mandatory here.

All forward facing seats with a 5 point harness must be top tethered at all times, regardless of it being installed with latch (referred to as uas in Canada) or the seatbelt.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't like that it doesn't specify using the top tether as well when you use the seatbelt to install from 40-65lbs.

It's irrelevant that most kids won't get much past 40lbs... it still needs to specify that the top tether be used.

I hope this isn't a case of the latest buzz about being cautious with upper latch limits (which includes top anchors, apparently) colliding with the reality that top tethering is mandatory here.

All forward facing seats with a 5 point harness must be top tethered at all times, regardless of it being installed with latch (referred to as uas in Canada) or the seatbelt.

Agreed - but I can tell you that if the manual is vague on that point they'll have TC on their butt - TC had to get on Britax about the vague wording of their manual a number of years ago - in the actual ff'ing instructions the manual said to attach the top tether, but in the versa-tether instruction it only said "Britax recommends the use of the tether at all times" There was a parent locally who created a big stink when he got a ticket for not having his seat top tethered because of the manual saying "recommends" - he lost and had to pay his ticket, and Britax had to revise their manual to be clearer.

So - I'm sure that if there is anything vague about it, there'll be something done.

IMO - issues in the US that are "I don't want to get sued" based should not affect Canadian recommendations or the fact that we've never had a manufacturer's installed tether anchor fail. Never. Even back before LATCH and before standards required higher forces. The only history of failures are improperly installed aftermarket ones. And seats didn't have high weight limits at the time it was common to have those in use. So compound the fact that top tether anchor standards are higher now than what they were 15 yrs ago,

I don't even know why they're making it such an issue. All I know is that it shouldn't be a Canadian issue and car manufacturers should get off their scaredy cat butts and realize that it's just a cascade reaction of fear and hypotheticals and make the policy to officially allow a properly used seat to be top tethered to the maximum weight the car seat manufacturer allows. We're never going to see seats higher than 65lbs with the exception of special needs seats, so we don't have the same need to put a conservative limit as they do in the US where manufacturers keep pushing weight limits higher and higher. Or cap the weight at 65lbs if they feel the need for unison on both sides of the border. (And there's my rather blunt opinion on this beautiful Saturday, lol)

snowbird25ca

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted from this thread due to the tone and off-topic discussion. This thread is not the place to debate if price should be the consideration in buying a seat or not, nor should someone be judged based on whether they think price is a concern.

It is fine to state personal opinion that you believe the cost is more than the value of the seat, or that for yourself you feel cost is worth it just because it's cute - but it is not ok to criticize somebody else's comment just because you don't understand where they are coming from.

Price is naturally a topic in the discussion of a new seat, but please don't let it become the focus of this thread. Price is a factor but not always the deciding factor for most people. Ultimately the features and usability of a seat are the most important things in determining the "worthiness" of a seat - and even then, nobody can judge another's decisions about what seat they buy.

Please play nice - we're all adults and can all respect each other's opinion and decisions. :thumbsup:

crawford

Interesting. I'm guessing whoever does the website doesn't realize that there are different specs, and probably just copied the US specs.

I don't mean to belabour the point, but the US specs are basically the same:
Rear facing: 5 to 35 lbs.
Forward facing: 20 to 70 lbs.

simplychels

I don't mean to belabour the point, but the US specs are basically the same:
Rear facing: 5 to 35 lbs.
Forward facing: 20 to 70 lbs.

And the 30lb rf'ing limit stated on one (or more?) sites as being the Canadians specs vs the 35lb rf'ing limit stated for American specs.

Hard to tell online though because some version are copy and pasted, so until the seat is in front of you ya never really know sometimes. :rolleyes:

Though we know no seats in Canada can have a higher then 65lb ff'ing limit. So that one is a given, its just the rfing specs that cause confusion at times.

snowbird25ca

If I was to make a prediction I would predict we only see a 30lb rf'ing weight limit. But that's just a guess. I know Peg is cautious about weight limits - they've told stores that their infant seat meets new standards at 30lb rf'ing, but are waiting to change it until new standards are actually in effect.

We've seen the proactive way they handled the handle issue based on the research testing. I have great respect for Peg as a company when they evaluate how to label and approve a seat. And those who know me, know that I don't say that lightly, lol. (And no, this doesn't mean I'm saying their seats are safer, just that I know that they truly take safety to heart and do everything they can to make sure their seats are top quality and are going to perform the way they should.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC