Quinny Zapp & Safety 1st Avenue "travel system" (pics)

BananaBoat

***DISCLAIMER - this is ONLY for airport travel from check-in to the gate! I will NOT be using it in this fashion at any other time!***
I'm trying out different configurations for travel and this seems to be the best option. I'd love input, suggestions and any other thoughts!

IMGP5343.jpg

Using the FF belt path, I looped the bungee cord to itself behind the back of the stroller. It feels secure. I may buy a slightly longer bungee to thread the same way, but secure it to the lower metal supports on the Zapp near the back wheels. Is there a preference either way?
IMGP5357.jpg

I also used the tether to secure the back of the seat to the Zapp on a small, metal washer that attaches the basket to the stroller frame. Is this ok? Is it bad to use the tether in this way? Can it hurt the tether's function for the seat?
IMGP5359.jpg

Close-up of tether
IMGP5356.jpg

DD testing out the new ride
IMGP5351.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(Your pictures are huge, any chance you can resize them? :) )

It looks pretty stable to me. However I'd still keep a hand on the car seat at all times while pushing with the other hand. Just in case. Or, wear the baby and put bags in the stroller/car seat instead.

I don't think that's going to damage the tether, but you might want to undo it BEFORE going down the jetway so you don't hold up passengers quite as long disassembling it whether you're gate-checking the stroller or carrying it on. :)

I'd also rubber band the end so there's no chance of you tripping on the loose strap there.

niccig

I did the same this with a Safety First Uptown and an Inglesina Trip stroller. Bungee cord through FF belt path and attached to stroller. DS strapped into car-seat. I did this for easily 10-12 flights. When we no longer used a stroller, we would use a folding luggage cart. Now I carry a Safeguard GO onboard as DS doesn't need to be in a seat on the plane.

InternationalMama

It looks stable enough to me, but if it were me I'd probably use a traveling toddler (or similar contraption) to hook the car seat to a rolling suitcase, stick the stroller in its bag to carry (preferably on top of the rolling suitcase, like a laptop bag) and wear the baby in a carrier. The way you have it set up here just looks like it's going to be a lot of assembling and disassembling of things and I know from personal experience on a cold jetway with a little baby trying to get the Zapp into its bag so I could carry it on the plane, it's not that much fun.

Baby in a carrier is just easier because you can usually walk straight through the detector without taking them out and the stroller in its bag is easier because it's not the fun to fold/unfold/bag through security and at the gate. And with the alternative solution you have all your hands free for you luggage whereas if you are pushing the Zapp while worrying about keeping a hand on it to make sure the whole contraption is stable you've lost all the hands you would have had for luggage, even though the Zapp sans car seat is a good one-handed push.

That's just what I would do though. :)

BananaBoat

I plan on gate-checking the Zapp, not carrying it on.

At our airport (Boston Logan), you cannot wear a child through security, the carrier (even without any metal!) must be taken off & put through the xray machine.

We don't use rolling luggage as carry-on, just a diaper bag for DH & a purse for me. We check all our luggage (1 big suitcase & our travel crib).

So, I think this is the best solution for us. I'm glad it seems stable & well secured to the experts! The Zapp wasn't tippy at all with DD strapped into the Avenue.

InternationalMama

Sounds like you have a plan. I just can't bring myself to check all our luggage these days because it has gotten lost too many times. Once it was gone for a week!

I'm realizing that you are the poster I tried awhile ago to convince to buy a Coccoro. I see you went with the more practical Avenue. Probably a good choice. :) Did you ever try her in a Coccoro to see how much room she'd have?

Good to know about Logan!

But why don't you carry the Zapp on? Especially if you have so little other carry-on luggage. You'll protect it from getting damaged that way.

Eclipsepearl

But why don't you carry the Zapp on? Especially if you have so little other carry-on luggage. You'll protect it from getting damaged that way.

There probably isn't room to stow it on board. Both airlines I worked for didn't allow strollers in overhead bins and one of the jobs of the greeter was to "catch" parents trying to bring strollers on board.

Once in awhile, we made an exception, especially if the passengers were seated in business or first.

Use a bag and bungee cord to secure it before leaving it at the door. Make sure the gate-check tag can be seen and have your name and address on it somewhere.

InternationalMama

There probably isn't room to stow it on board. Both airlines I worked for didn't allow strollers in overhead bins and one of the jobs of the greeter was to "catch" parents trying to bring strollers on board.

I have taken it on board before. The Zapp has the smallest fold of any stroller and in its travel bag it is small enough to meet the requirements for carry-on baggage dimensions. There is no regulation on any airline saying you can't bring a stroller on board if it satisfies the carry-on dimensions stated in the regulations. And it fits in the overhead bin with no problems. The only issue is that it has to be in the bag since they can't allow loose metal objects in the overheads.

I find the Zapp to be kind of a pain as a travel stroller and it lacks a lot of features that other less expensive umbrella strollers have. Really its best feature is that you can take it on the plane as carry-on baggage so I don't know why a person wouldn't if they didn't already have their full carry-on allowance. So that's why I would recommend this to the OP.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, I can think of a reason. When you're dragging diaper bags, kids, and a car seat you have to install with FAs breathing down your neck, your hands are kinda full. I always try to carry on the least we can reasonably get away with (though I do pack one bag with a change of clothes for everyone, in case our baggage is lost.) ;)

InternationalMama

Well, I can think of a reason. When you're dragging diaper bags, kids, and a car seat you have to install with FAs breathing down your neck, your hands are kinda full. I always try to carry on the least we can reasonably get away with (though I do pack one bag with a change of clothes for everyone, in case our baggage is lost.) ;)

I can see what you mean, but in this particular case we were talking about two parents and one kid and they are already bringing the stroller with them to the gate, so to me it wouldn't seem like too much. We are always telling parents how things can get damaged even with gate checking. That doesn't just apply to car seats and it's a $200 stroller. But I'm just saying what I would do.

BananaBoat

Sounds like you have a plan. I just can't bring myself to check all our luggage these days because it has gotten lost too many times. Once it was gone for a week!

I'm realizing that you are the poster I tried awhile ago to convince to buy a Coccoro. I see you went with the more practical Avenue. Probably a good choice. :) Did you ever try her in a Coccoro to see how much room she'd have?

Yup, it's me! I did try DD in a Coccoro & posted in this thread.
Luckily, because DH travels so much for work, we typically fly on points on airlines he has excellent status with. They tend to take good car of us & have yet to lose any piece of luggage! Often we are able to book in business or first class or get upgraded upon check-in due to his status.

Which brings me to this:

Once in awhile, we made an exception, especially if the passengers were seated in business or first.

Use a bag and bungee cord to secure it before leaving it at the door. Make sure the gate-check tag can be seen and have your name and address on it somewhere.

We are going business or first on our next 2 international flights & I wasn't aware that it was possible to check a stroller AT ALL, nevermind up front. So it's good to know that it's possible.

:yeahthat:

We are in the less is more camp. Every time I travel I find I use fewer & fewer items that I bring with me, so I'm trying to be as minimalist as I can manage. For most of the places we go I can manage with what I carry-on for a couple days if stuff gets lost in transit. Some people think it's nuts that we pack only 1 suitcase for 3 people, but we can wash stuff & there's always a few things we just don't wear. Just trying to shake off the over-packing tendency in me.

Also, how on earth would it even be possible if I were alone? I just can't even imagine having enough hands!

InternationalMama

Also, how on earth would it even be possible if I were alone? I just can't even imagine having enough hands!

You're never alone on an airplane. Especially not if you're flying business class. :) I often leave a bag by the door and come back and grab it after I've gotten the car seat installed or sometimes a flight attendant or other passenger will help.f

And I completely agree with the less is more philosophy. That's why I usually don't even bring a stroller when we travel. :) I'm just saying that to me the extra few feet (really just a few yards if you're in business class) to put the stroller in the cabin is worth it IMO. To each their own.

Have a great trip!

aeormsby

We strap our Uptown to our Chicco Caddy umbrella stroller all the time! It works great. It does take a little time to disassemble and get the stroller bagged for gate checking (especially when I have both kids by myself). Next month we're flying and don't need the stroller at our destination so we're using the luggage cart instead. That way I don't have to take it apart until we're on the plane.
100_5555.JPG

DD testing out our set up - I usually hook the bungee to the plastic at the FF belt path and route it around the uprights or under the base of the stroller.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You're never alone on an airplane. Especially not if you're flying business class. :) I often leave a bag by the door and come back and grab it after I've gotten the car seat installed or sometimes a flight attendant or other passenger will help.f

And I completely agree with the less is more philosophy. That's why I usually don't even bring a stroller when we travel. :) I'm just saying that to me the extra few feet (really just a few yards if you're in business class) to put the stroller in the cabin is worth it IMO. To each their own.

Have a great trip!

I just realized why I probably have this disconnect from you.

At our airport, there is no jetway. We have to walk onto the runway and climb up steep stairs to embark, and the reverse to disembark when we get home.

Rather than a few yards, no matter where you're sitting on the plane, it's several hundred feet and a steep flight of stairs. And we've rarely been offered help-- they're usually busy getting the handicapped passengers who physically can't climb it or need lots of help in, and carrying oxygen tanks and such.

InternationalMama

At our airport, there is no jetway. We have to walk onto the runway and climb up steep stairs to embark, and the reverse to disembark when we get home.

That would make a big difference. Most of the airports I've flown with a baby you can literally wheel the stroller up to the door of the airplane and then fold it there so you really are just 1-2 yards away from business class and within view of about 6 flight attendants and lots of help. :) Just goes to show how everyone has different needs when traveling.

NatesMamma

I love the idea of making your own "travel system" this way! :love: I try to carry as little as possible, too, and I've been stressing about how I'm going to manage everything the next time DS and I fly. This is such an awesome solution!

Can I have some opinions on my own set-up, please? I used a Graco Snugrider base and my Avenue. I think it looks pretty good:
CIMG3920.JPG

I ended up routing the tether strap over the horizontal bar on the stroller base between the cup holders and then attaching the tether to the recline arm on the Avenue. (This is the same place where the tether stows for RF use.) I think it should be OK because there isn't any tension in the strap; it shouldn't break the recline arm or anything:
CIMG3931.JPG

Here's what I'm iffy on. I put the LATCH strap though the RF belt path, routed it over the stroller base and then used a zip tie (rated for 50 lb) to attach both LATCH clips. There shouldn't be any problem with using the LATCH strap in this way, should there? This is the part that is actually securing the CR to the base. The tether pretty much superfluous.
CIMG3932.JPG

Alternately, I can remove the zip tie and snap the metal clips together. Would this be a problem?

I hope this is all OK. We took DS for a walk tonight to test it out, and it works great!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The zip tie looks fine but maybe get a heavier one? Or a ring from the hardware store instead? I don't like clipping the LATCH hooks to each other if I can help it because I've seen them be damaged that way, this looks better to me.

I would, again, still keep a hand on it at all times, in case it suddenly slides sideways or something. And check the weight limit on that stroller frame, it'll wear out fast if you go over the total weight limit on it (add up the basket weight, maximum child weight plus weight of the seats intended to go on it.)

InternationalMama

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's not totally clear to me why you would want to bring the Snugrider? I doubt you are planning on using the Avenue/Snugrider combo as your stroller when you are on vacation, right? So wouldn't it be better if you want to bring a stroller to bring one you can use on vacation and attach the Avenue to that - say a light umbrella type stroller like a Maclaren, Blink, or what have you. If you don't need a stroller at your destination maybe try attaching the Avenue to a luggage cart or using the Traveling Toddler?

But like I said, maybe I'm missing something... The difference between your setup and the OP's though is that your stroller can't be used on its own once you arrive where you are going. So if it were me I would either pick a different stroller or a different setup. HTH.

NatesMamma

Yeah, I was thinking about getting something more substantial than the zip tie, but that's what I had on hand.

And I don't mind using the Snugrider for this because I won't actually need a stroller once I get to my destination. I much prefer babywearing. And, besides, there's usually an adoring relative at the other end of our trip who doesn't want to take his or her hands off DS to put him in a stroller anyway! :D As for a luggage cart, I never use one, and I don't want to mess with having to find one on a short layover. The Traveling Toddler isn't a great option because my only carry-on luggage is the diaper bag. The GoGo Kidz is OK, but it's pricey, and I would be giving up the convenience of the basket under the stroller. So, yeah, this is a good option for us. :)

This set up should work until DS is 30ish lbs, I think. I'm mostly worried about getting back and forth this spring, as we have several trips coming up that DH won't be joining us on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC