Britax Pioneer 70 or Recaro Performance Sport

TwinMonkeys

First off, I love car-seat.org and carseatblog. The amount of information and first hand experience found here is amazing! Having said that, there are so many options in seats these days that I just get overwhelmed. I've probably spent more than 20 hours researching FF toddler seats for my two petite 29-30lb, 3yo girls.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Britax Pioneer 70 or the Recaro Performance Sport. Actually, I purchased two Pioneer's yesterday but am second guessing myself and thinking maybe the Recaro would be better.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the two and can recommend or suggest which would be the best for safety, comfort and longevity? The cup holders are a nice touch on the Pioneer, but not a requirement. Never had either brand previously, so I'm not biased one way or the other.

Thanks

Last edited:
ADS

jgomez411

First off, I love car-seat.org and carseatblog. The amount of information and first hand experience found here is amazing! Having said that, there are so many options in seats these days that I just get overwhelmed. I've probably spent more than 20 hours researching FF toddler seats for my two petite 29-30lb, 3yo girls. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Britax Pioneer 70 or the Recaro Pro Sport. Actually, I purchased two Pioneer's yesterday but am second guessing myself and thinking maybe the Recaro would be better. Does anyone have first hand experience with the two and can recommend or suggest which would be the best for safety, comfort and longevity? The cup holders are a nice touch on the Pioneer, but not a requirement. Never had either brand previously, so I'm not biased one way or the other. Thanks

We have a Pioneer in our 2012 Civic and it installs so easily. My DD is 3.5, 29 pounds, 36.5" and she has a ton of growing room. I've had it since it first came out (can't believe it's been almost a year!) and my DD loves it. We have the Gardengate pattern which she chose. My only dislike is that the cover is a pain to wash. I've only washed it once since I got it because it took forever to take apart, hand wash, air dry, and put back together. I don't have any experience with the Recaro so hopefully someone will chime in!

Dorothy

I have both and prefer the ProSport simply because it fits my vehicle and children a bit better. Honestly, in a different vehicle with less upright seats I might find them both equal. I like the idea of the SafeCell technology and the smaller headrest adjustments of the P70, but I find it a bit wide for my slim kids. I like the natural recline and more narrow interior of the PS, because it provides more support when the kids fall asleep. However, aside from the big headrest adjustments, it has the seatbelt/harness interference quirk. Also, no cupholders. With all that said, there's no known safety advantage of one over the other. All seats pass the same testing. So, if you like the P70 (it fits your vehicle and LOs), switching would be nothing more than a matter of preference.

Sent using the app. :)

TwinMonkeys

Re: Britax Pioneer 70 or Recaro Pro Sport

Thank you both for your replies.

How is the cushioning between the two? Do the arm rests of the P70 interfere with the kids getting into the seats themselves?

TwinMonkeys

Re: Britax Pioneer 70 or Recaro Pro Sport

I haven't seen either in person and have only had Chicco and Radian seats, but how is the softness of the cloth around the head wings? I read a review that says they were acetate, but I can't imagine any manufacturer using any clot that is as "plasticy" as acetate.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
In the past year, I've used a Frontier 85, Pinnacle, Performance Sport, Pioneer, Argos, and KidsEmbrace for my daughter.

The Performance Sport (ProSport) won out as our favorite and is the one she's still using. The Pioneer ranked second-last for us, although they were mostly all pretty good. I just really disliked the install on the Pioneer. It also felt flimsier than what I'm used to from Britax.

Last edited:

T4K

I have two kiddos that love the ProSport. I don't have experience with the Pioneer. We don't get any complaints about the seat from the kids.

Dorothy

In the past year, I've used a Frontier 85, Pinnacle, Performance Sport, Pioneer, Argos, and KidsEmbrace for my daughter.

The Performance Sport (ProSport) won out as our favorite and is the one she's still using. The Pioneer ranked second-last for us, although they were mostly all pretty good. I just really disliked the install on the Pioneer. It also felt flimsier than what I'm used to from Britax.

This reminds me of one thing I love about the PS that I loathe about the P70: The headrest doesn't jiggle and squeak when the seat is unoccupied! I don't know why, but our P70 headrest makes the most annoying sound sometimes.

Posted using the app. :)

TwinMonkeys

I think I had the incorrect name of the Recaro seat that I was looking at. Sorry for the confusion :(

How does the Performance Sport (combination seat) compare with the Pioneer 70? I'm going to assume the same as the ProSport, Performance Sport probably being even better

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the Performance Sport is essentially the same as the ProSport. Same harness height, etc. There are a couple minor changes (that make the Performance slightly more desirable than the Pro).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Not in my experience, but I've only used it with one kid for less than a year.

My daughter was on the third-to-last slots, but the harness pad covers seemed...weird there since she was close to being even. Like, the covers stuck out rather than going down (since they're kind of attached to the seat). Since she was close anyway, I moved her up to the next slot. At that point, she was still well under that position, but the harness and headrest fit her just fine.

Dorothy

IIRC, the harness heights are similar, but the P70 makes a taller booster by a couple of inches.

TwinMonkeys

So if the booster height of the PS is a few inches shorter than it won't last nearly as long as the P70 as kids transition away from the harness? At what do kids typically move out of this type of seat to a booster only?

Dorothy

Yes, the P70 should ultimately last longer. I'm not exactly sure how to answer your second question, but here goes:

I think the general rule is that when a child outgrows the harness of a combo seat, they should fit well in booster mode. Sometimes smaller riders just don't fill out the seat well enough to get a good booster fit. This, obviously, will vary depending upon the seat-child-vehicle combo. So, I think that's why you often see people moving to dedicated boosters when their children are mature enough for boostering. Generally speaking, this is probably around age six. At some point, they will probably move into a backless booster until they five step/are an appropriate size and age (around puberty) for the adult seatbelts.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I hope it does.

salyluz

So, I am bumping this thread cause I just can't decide....I have a ProSport and need a new harness booster, so I thought about trying something different just because and was leaning toward the Pioneer...cup holders (always fun for the kids), extra height, and longer exp....However, some of the reviews and a recent trip to Buy Buy Baby to see them in person gives me pause and I can't really put my finger on it. I love the width to the PS, and the new Performance padding is crazy thick, the seat just overall feels right to me...the way it encompasses the childs body. I even like the open belt path and it makes sense to me to have the seatbelt used the way it would be on a person (I know the tether is to still be used after a certain weight). But, I don't love the lower exp. and height limit. Most of my children don't need the extra height, except one but I am not sure even she needs it based on her age: She is almost 6 (I usually harness till 7ish) and is 45" tall, 42 lbs, 16" torso. The Pioneer just felt loose/flimsy along with the some of the "negative" thoughts on it I just am not sure. I considered the Frontier, but am not sure the click tight is worth it as we rarely take seats out (or is it worth it for a sturdier seat...?). One last thing about the PS that is irking me, is the seat cover and padding is falling apart from washing (we are only 3 yrs in) and to replace it is expensive. I feel they should at least meet me in the middle and discount it because of poor quality (normal washing and air dry).

So, would you try something new or stick with what you have and just get over the cover issue?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC