how to remove warning labels?

tablefor9

I unpacked our new pipa nuna seat. I'm so disappointed in the four big warning labels attached to the fabric (glued/painted on, not sewn on). It's excessive. There is a label on either side of the head area on the insert plus two more labels on either side of where the head would go without the insert. I understand why the labels are there but they're just terrible looking and look like they'll be really uncomfortable when a baby falls asleep with their face up against it.

I know this probably sounds very silly but I don't want to keep the seat with all those big labels on it. The labels are not shown in any of the pictures I saw online. It changes the whole look of the seat, I'm disappointed that it wasn't accurately represented before I purchased it, and I'm concerned about the chemicals and glue used for the labels after making sure to buy a seat made with low chemical fabrics.

So, is there any way to get those labels off?

ADS

Aurezalia

Are there 4 labels - one on each side - or just two? I had a Pipa and in double checking pictures online, there should only be a label on the left side of the insert and the cover. If there are four of them, I would actually call that a production error and call Nuna so they can send you a new insert and cover with the appropriate number of labels.
However, those two labels are required by federal law and I would highly recommend against attempting to remove them. There really is no safe way to remove them, and they are there for an important reason. Seats that have labels that come off easily and lose those required labels would actually be recalled.
In real-world use, I haven't had any issue with babies being annoying or finding the label uncomfortable at all. It's really not something that will create any issues and I wouldn't worry about it, IMHO.

tablefor9

There are four labels total, two on the insert and two on the main fabric piece. Each is maybe 1"x4". I've never had any of my kids bothered by labels either but these are just crazy. They're huge, there are four of them, and there is no way a baby could sleep in the seat without the entire side of their face being up against a label.

tablefor9

Went back to measure. They're each 2.1"x5.5". It's just excessive. There are two of each label, one of the 'don't put this in the front seat' and one of the 'don't let the chest clip be too low' ones on each the insert and the regular fabric. Over the years we've easily had a dozen car seats and I've never seen over the top labels like this.

Aurezalia

There are four labels total, two on the insert and two on the main fabric piece. Each is maybe 1"x4". I've never had any of my kids bothered by labels either but these are just crazy. They're huge, there are four of them, and there is no way a baby could sleep in the seat without the entire side of their face being up against a label.

Can you find the date of manufacture (DOM) of your seat? I found one year+ old picture of a Pipa with four labels, but mine (and all the the other pictures I seen online) only have two labels, on one side of the seat. I wonder if they transitioned from four labels to two, and you got a seat with an older DOM?

This is a picture with the demo baby I used to test fit for a newborn, but you can see the labels on my seat were only on the left side.
IMG_2900_zpsf2edd36b.jpg

However, I wouldn't classify the label material as harsh, so even when I had the baby (bigger, she was in the seat without the insert so was right at the level of the label in the seat itself) in it, she wasn't bothered by it at all and slept right against it with no issues many times. It didn't even cross my mind to be worried about it, honestly. :shrug-shoulders:
If you're really bothered by it, I would call Nuna for a new cover + insert set with the labels only on one side, and if you want to you could even roll a washcloth and set it on that side so their head won't be against the label. I don't think it will be a big deal even if they do sleep against it, though. It certainly never mattered to the kids here, or with any other person I've heard from who used the seat. :)

Aurezalia

Went back to measure. They're each 2.1"x5.5". It's just excessive. There are two of each label, one of the 'don't put this in the front seat' and one of the 'don't let the chest clip be too low' ones on each the insert and the regular fabric. Over the years we've easily had a dozen car seats and I've never seen over the top labels like this.

Oh that's interesting. I haven't seen the chest clip one before. Maybe that's a new one?? I'd call Nuna and see what they say about a new cover set with less labels - whether that means newer or older.

tablefor9

The labels are like those but there is another set on the other side as well. The DOM is early December 2014, can't recall the exact day.

I'm thinking now I might try sewing fabric over the labels if I can't remove them by heating the glue (with an iron or hair dryer).

tablefor9

I would hope they're not selling old seats, I bought it directly from the company. I'm going to call on Monday to discuss it with them as I feel the pictures on their website are misleading.

jwilliams

Car seat marketing images rarely show labels. Probably because they are afraid people will react to the ugliness and buy another seat, or maybe the graphics people just find them offensive to the seat's aesthetic. Ultimately, it's a safety device, so it needs to have some safety information in a location that cannot be missed.

tablefor9

Oh, I'm not wondering why the labels are there. There are people who will put a child seat up front unless there is a giant tag half an inch from their baby's head telling them not to. I'm just not one of those people and don't want to use a $300 car seat that I find really ugly. I also feel the company shouldn't be falsely advertising with pictures of a nice looking seat when it's not how it actually looks. So many other seats have big warning labels but they put them more towards the edge of the seat fabric where they are less obnoxious looking and are not up against a child's skin. There really is no reason to put on so many labels, make them so big, and place them so they're right up next to an infants face but I guess if they're going to do that they can but they should be honest about what the seat looks like.

bnsnyde

I remove labels from everything because I hate them! And sometimes it's difficult. If I don't remove them, they slowly fall off and leave glue all over and the product looks even worse. Bunk bed warning labels, mostly. Awful glue!

I never had a carseat with a label in the way, though. I think all ours are sewn on or out of the way.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh that's interesting. I haven't seen the chest clip one before. Maybe that's a new one?? I'd call Nuna and see what they say about a new cover set with less labels - whether that means newer or older.

They (infant seats, all of them, FMVSS rule) have to have the ugly huge strangulation warning label on the headrest/side of the head now. I don't see that it keeps people using their harnesses any better, unfortunately, but neither do I see any kids uncomfortable from it, nor has anyone complained of it being a problem yet, at least.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm thinking now I might try sewing fabric over the labels if I can't remove them by heating the glue (with an iron or hair dryer).

I wouldn't try to remove them with heat. Does your car seat manual allow you to put the cover in the dryer? If not, I would assume that heat could damage the flame retardants in the material. It would certainly void your warranty and prevent you from being able to return it. I would just buy something else if it bothers you that much. It wouldn't bother me. I am bothered by all kinds of labels (the one on my crib is an eyesore and impossible to remove without a lot of goo-gone), but I have never encountered a car seat label that was a problem for the baby, and never one that would fall off or peel.

KristineML

Car seat marketing images rarely show labels. Probably because they are afraid people will react to the ugliness and buy another seat, or maybe the graphics people just find them offensive to the seat's aesthetic. Ultimately, it's a safety device, so it needs to have some safety information in a location that cannot be missed.

It would also allow the images to be used in more than one country, for example of the same seat was sold in the US and Canada. The labels would be different.

tablefor9

I spoke to the company. Right off the bat they said they receive a lot of calls from people who are dissatisfied with the labels. They had no recommendations for removing the labels but they did put me on a list to get new fabric pieces in a couple months when they start making them. The new ones are supposed to have two smaller labels with better placement. Still not thrilled with the seat and since I do feel it's dangerous to have such large pieces of plastic right near a baby's face where they can turn their head into it and obstruct their breathing I'm going to get rid of the labels. I'm going to try to heat them first then, of that doesn't work, I'm going to cut them out of the fabric and firmly sew patches over where the labels were.

tablefor9

Oh, the rep I spoke with said the pictures are photoshopped but they're trying to put a disclaimer on the pictures so people will know the seat doesn't really look like that.

Baylor

I spoke to the company. Right off the bat they said they receive a lot of calls from people who are dissatisfied with the labels. They had no recommendations for removing the labels but they did put me on a list to get new fabric pieces in a couple months when they start making them. The new ones are supposed to have two smaller labels with better placement. Still not thrilled with the seat and since I do feel it's dangerous to have such large pieces of plastic right near a baby's face where they can turn their head into it and obstruct their breathing I'm going to get rid of the labels. I'm going to try to heat them first then, of that doesn't work, I'm going to cut them out of the fabric and firmly sew patches over where the labels were.

Frankly I would not remove the labels or attempt to at all. If they really bother you I would most likely just get a soft patch to put over them and just sew it on. You could really destroy the cover and padding removing them.

jacqui276

If the labels bother you that much, maybe return the seat and get another one with less offensive labels?

I wouldn't try to remove them. I also have never seen labels that would cause me any concern for obstructing a baby's breathing. Big fluffy soft things are actually more of a risk for breathing obstruction than smooth plastic things. That's why they recommend not having puffy blankets and stuffed toys in bed with your newborn.

1mommy

Not to mention if you are that worried about the chemicals in it, wouldn't trying to remove it only spread/release the harmful chemicals? I googled it and from what I can see the labels appear to be printed directly on the seat cushion so I do not think you would have much luck removing it and I don't understand how it could obstruct breathing? If you are that concerned you can use a rolled up receiving blanket next to the babys head like this.

http://www.lexleeskids.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/photo-4.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm not sure how we can reassure you that the labels don't bother any child. They are not unsafe (they're crash tested with the seat), they don't obstruct breathing, and babies tend to not mind a whole lot. The absolute worst thing I can imagine with them is a hot baby's head sticking with a little sweat.

Mutilating your seat to get rid of them seems extreme. They are not a concern. They're on all seats, with zero reports of issues.

What else can we say to convince you? They're damned ugly, but not a risk.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC