Important info regarding the new Radian buckle tongues!

Misty-Bug

this is gonna sound dumb but......can you post pics of the two different buckles you are talking about so I know hen I go to get my seat (IF)
I would hate to get the fraying ones....
thanks
hope that made sense

ADS

supercrunch

If the harness straps are wider than the belt path through the buckle tongue...you will eventually get fraying.

Here is a close-up of one of our current Radians that is being replaced

P1000628.jpg

you can see how the straps fold at the edges because they are wider than the belt path.

I hope that helps!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Poor Russ! Sometimes I think he doesn't really get it, though, you know, that you have to be so careful with car seats. I'm waiting on (another) reply from him regarding my puppy (or kitty) pee straps that he told me I could get as wet as I needed to wash them and I finally told him that it goes against everything I know about cleaning harnesses to saturate them like that and that I don't know if I feel comfortable using the seat after the straps have been saturated in urine and then saturated with water & cleaning products, too. So, now he says he's going to check with the harness manufacturer to make sure they're still safe to use after being saturated. :rolleyes: And, I can't help but think... what if it's not? What about the poor other parents that he has given that same advice to and they're still using their seats and thinking everything's fine?!
He's definitely over worked, though. Sometimes I even feel bad for bugging him so much!

Misty-Bug

If the harness straps are wider than the belt path through the buckle tongue...you will eventually get fraying.

Here is a close-up of one of our current Radians that is being replaced

P1000628.jpg

you can see how the straps fold at the edges because they are wider than the belt path.

I hope that helps!

WOW!! You can totally tell that the harness doesn't fit in there! wow!

Beckers

I emailed him yesterday as soon as I read Doriansmummy's post and told him I had just bought a radian last week, but a friend had recently received a replacement seat b/c of the buckles.
He replied today with this:
Thanks for your email. The buckle tong fit on our harness systems is designed so that as the child enters and exits the seat, everything kind of stays in place and the buckle tongs don’t always just slide down to the bottom, making re-entry to the seat and fastening a little easier…especially important when parent-child cooperation is not at its highest level. While I can absolutely appreciate your concern, please know that every harness system for any child car seat – including the webbing and hardware - has to pass a mandated abrasion test standard, which Radian’s harness system more than meets. We use the same harness buckle and webbing (from the same supplier) as many other car seat companies. Based on all the testing these harness systems must undergo, your seat is quite safe. That said if you would like a wider buckle tongs, please forward to me your address and I will have a pair sent to you.

I am really glad that you love your Radian65 seat!

Best regards,

Russ

I'm definately going to have them send them to me, but I have my doubts about gettingthem on the seat. :(

Simplysomething

So, when I saw this thread, I totally couldn't figure out what was the deal, the buckles looked the same to me. Reading the descriptions on this thread (the one I'm posting in. lol)....the light suddenly dawned and I see what you all were talking about. I just thought I'd share that.

MsFacetious

Okay is it buckle TONGUES or buckle TONGS... these little things annoy the crap out of me!!

I am officially scared away from a Radian. Just not even on the list for me. Too many issues and weird things. I've never been too thrilled with SK in the first place... so this is no surprise. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's really ok. IMMI is the company they get their harnesses from, and those people make almost nothing but exquisite harnesses and buckles...for most of the carseat companies, for buses...everything...and they've been doing it for years. They wouldn't sell a thicker buckle tong(ue) without being absolutely sure it would work with the current buckle. They probably have loads of the current stock to use up and aren't going to switch to the wider ones till people ask for them, or they'd be looking at a huge expense that's not really necessary for them to make (throwing away perfectly ok harnesses...probably thousands of them...).

The warning to not use anything that doesn't come with the seat really does not apply to 'the new ones the company sent me...' but rather to, 'gee, I like this cosco harness better, I'll put it on my Radian', see the difference?

:love:

solmama

The last time I dealt with SK, I talked to them because our chest clip BROKE after 1 week of use! Some kind of defect, pretty scary though. Fortunately the old seat still fit my daughter and was not expired. Anyway, through all my dealings with them (it took 2+ weeks to get a new chest clip), I learned that SK has only 4 employees. Each of them wears several different hats. So, that's why Russ is so busy and does so many things. I plan on writing them about the buckle tongues as well.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't speak for US standards, but my understanding for Canadian standards, is that the seat is certified independently of a specific harness system. Harness systems themselves are certified to a specific code & it's the manufacturers choice of which harness & buckle system they wish to use in the seat. Same as the fabric color.

So I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as it's an approved harness buckle for car seat use. It's not a design change within the seat, so won't affect the crash performance. :thumbsup:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Ahh, Jools, the voice of reason.

Maybe I'm the only one who didn't read Russ's original email and panic, but the Radian has been extensively crash tested... an extra 1/4 of an inch in buckle tong(ue) isn't going to mess it up. The harness will still work the same, it won't effect the crash performance at all.

And removing the chest clip is not difficult. Not that you should remove it just for fun, but if you need to remove it to clean it, or to better clean the straps, it's not a big deal. I remove the chest clip on my Marathon's all the time - every time they go from rear to forward facing (so that I can remove the HUGS for RF) and it's not a big deal, provided they're put on correctly again.

The buckle tong(ue) thing is interesting to me... but my Radian, which has been in constant use since 10/05, has NO fraying. I like that the tong(ue)'s stay in place, it makes it easier for my ds1 to buckle himself.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:confused: you're saying russ doesn't know as much about carseat design/safety/testing/components as people here?

Um... yeah, we are...but only on one or two finer points. I met the actual guy who designed the Radian, Russ had to admit he didn't know chest clips are supposed to break or slide down in a crash, but the main guy did (he also invented that airbag-safe infant seat... smart fella).

It's ok, though, I think Russ knows plenty, and is just suffering from the massive hen-peck attack we put him through (it takes a strong soul to be the front man for a carseat company, we are HARD on these poor people!)

:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC