You don't see one of these too often

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Good thing, too.

2926681829_e7d44fe0b3_o.jpg

Looks like a Dorel Explorer, maybe? Which would have been last made in 1996. The car looked newer than that. But it's so hard to tell. You know, all those Mercedes E class wagons look the same from 1995-2002. Maybe they bought the car and the booster new together in 1996. I suspect, though, that the booster is older than the car.

This was outside of one my local Targets. Inside I helped a mom buy a cheapie Cosco backless for her visiting five year old nephew, and convinced her to return the Nautilus she had just bought for her 1 year/20 pound son and buy him an EFTA or a True Fit instead and rear face him again. :)

Wendy

ADS

Heamae

I had a seat like that when I was little, and I am 23 now!! I actually see a lot of people use seats like that around me.
Glad some people were willing to listen to your advice!

lovinwaves

I should take a picture of my cousins. I believe she is about 8 or 9yrs old. Her seat is extra special! It's missing the cover, and doesn't have the top part at all.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I forgot what area I live in. I guess others would see these all the time. Not here, though. Here it's Britax central. I see people who aren't on car-seat.org driving around with two Regents. I do try to keep my feet on the ground and go out and do public checks often enough that I remember that my area is more affluent than the surrounding areas.

It was just *so* gross! Ick ick ick.

Wendy

You'd think if they could afford a Mercedes, they could afford to update the car seat as well.

Unless it's a grandparent who had the seat for a grandchild who has now outgrown it, but the grandparent never uninstalled teh seat cuz no one sits back there (back seat looks untouched).

Heamae

You'd think if they could afford a Mercedes, they could afford to update the car seat as well.

Unless it's a grandparent who had the seat for a grandchild who has now outgrown it, but the grandparent never uninstalled teh seat cuz no one sits back there (back seat looks untouched).
I would say that is unlikely as there is a sippy cup on the floor.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I had one with that cover for Thomas. He was 2, I believe. :whistle:

I think the shell was different, though? It doesn't look right - I'm pretty sure it had belt guides for when you took the shield off. I know that's the same cover, though. I've got a pic of him in it somewhere, just haven't found it and scanned it yet! :D

ZephyrBlue

I saw what I'd bet was a 2yo in a vinyl-covered shield booster yesterday, rammed up against the car door and window, 2 other kids crammed in the backseat of a very small car. The booster was tipped almost sideways. And here I'm worrying about how much longer I can harness my 8yo in the Nauti? :rolleyes: Gotta love New Mexico. That's normal around here.

Mama!

My MIL has that same booster riding in her trunk. Just in case. :rolleyes:

She put my 2 year old daughter in that thing and went "down the road" once , unbeknownst to me. :eek::mad:

I need to confiscate it.

TerisBoys

I had one with that cover for Thomas. He was 2, I believe. :whistle:

I think the shell was different, though? It doesn't look right - I'm pretty sure it had belt guides for when you took the shield off. I know that's the same cover, though. I've got a pic of him in it somewhere, just haven't found it and scanned it yet! :D

The one Wendy posted was an Explorer I with a fixed shield. You likely had a Grand Explorer with the removable shield. Like this. I actually REALLY liked it as a backless booster. Josh was 5 there - ~44", 42#.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The one Wendy posted was an Explorer I with a fixed shield. You likely had a Grand Explorer with the removable shield. Like this. I actually REALLY liked it as a backless booster. Josh was 5 there - ~44", 42#.

Yep, that looks more like it! Thanks!

Am I right in remembering that the minimums on those were 1-and-30? Or was I actually using it too young? I can't imagine I'd have used that thing for my 2yo if he didn't meet the minimum requirements... although, anything's possible.

TerisBoys

Yep, that looks more like it! Thanks!

Am I right in remembering that the minimums on those were 1-and-30? Or was I actually using it too young? I can't imagine I'd have used that thing for my 2yo if he didn't meet the minimum requirements... although, anything's possible.

I believe so. I know Josh used his w/ shield in Jeff's truck before we knew better. It was easy for Jeff to toss in the back of the cab (extended cab Sonoma) but have handy in case I got stuck at work and he had to pick Josh up from daycare. He kept using it as a backless until 2003 when he was riding in it when Jeff totaled the van (someone ran a light in front of him).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC