WWYD? Vacation, seats etc.

SuzaBanana

We have booked flights for vacation in the Caribbean. Both kids have seats & DD2 will use the KF30 on the plane, in the taxi (really a 12 passenger van) & in any car rental (1 or 2 days if that).

Not sure what I want to do about DD1, so that's what I'm asking for input on. She will wear a CARES on the plane because she fights being in her car seat & does great in the CARES.

For the island, the options I have are:
  1. borrow an RSTV from a close friend who has the same aged/sized kid
  2. bring a NIB RA55 & check it in it's original box - the non-recalled bolt issues are bothering me & I haven't even looked to see if we are affected
  3. bring the XTSL & carry it on if they let us, but not use it in-flight
  4. bring nothing & not rent a car & close my eyes & pray during the taxi/van rides to & from the airport - this makes me nervous

So, what would you do?

kam1011

My first thought was RSTV, too, but then the vans/taxi's I've seen in the Caribbean - I would use the term "van" or "taxi" lightly - sometimes you get a real van, sometimes it's like a 15 passenger van with no doors, kinda like a tram or something.... Anyway, I'd be highly concerned that you may not have shoulder belts. In that case, I'd go with #3 to be safe.

SuzaBanana

I would do the RSTV, most likely. Do you know that the van will have shoulder belts?
Yes. We've been twice before & all the vans are <5 years old with shoulder belts in ALL seating positions. Last year when I was pregnant with DD2 we took DD1's Avenue & it was easy to install with the ALR seat belts. Unfortunately, the Ave got trashed in our basement flood, so I replaced it with the RA55 during the Wayfair sale. Now I'm second-guessing that choice :(

SuzaBanana

Does it change any answers to know that DD1 has never been FF?

I guess I'm a tiny bit nervous that she'll come back from vacation wanting to be FF all the time & I'd like to wait until she's closer to 4 for that.

Splash

Wouldn't change my answer. Just like I'm not worried that letting them eat ice cream every day on vacation will make them want it every day when we get home. Maybe for a week, but they'll get over asking and realize vacation is different from home, and some rules change (like more TV, or jumping on the bed, for example)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amanda4uni

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2020 Carseat Media LLC