WWYD, thoughts, opinions - boosters

thekatie

This is kinda sorta a spinoff of this thread, but not exactly. Maybe a WWYD? I don't know.

J2 is 5 years 5 months old (when did THAT happen???), and starting kindergarten in 2 weeks. He rear faced in my car (most of the time, at least) until about a month after his 5th birthday, when he outgrew his Radian by height remaining above his head. So, he's a little guy. I just measured him, he's currently 42" and 37lb.

If he stays on this growth track, it will probably be another year before he hits 40lb. He could have a major growth spurt, but he hasn't in a couple years so I'm not holding my breath.

He can NOT buckle or unbuckle himself right now. He can do the chest clip, but not the crotch buckle. It's not a huge deal, I just do it for him (after not alternately laughing or crying at the way he just CAN'T) when helping him in or out of the car. I won't be getting out of the car for drop off or pick up though. Which is also mostly okay, because J1 will still be at the same school this coming year and will be able to buckle/unbuckle J2 for me.

However... J2 CAN do a seatbelt. He loves to buckle himself in when we're just sitting around in the car waiting on something.

So all of that rambling to basically ask... I'm right for still keeping him harnessed? Yes? Or should I give a booster a shot? So many of his friends are moving up to boosters, and they're bouncing around in their seats or moving the seatbelt and it worries me. But I also foresee J1 getting, well... frankly pissy about having to constantly help his little brother.

I don't know. I wish that J2 could just handle the crotch buckle and I think then I wouldn't even be questioning it in the slightest.

ADS

thepote

My 5yo DD is the same way... Can't/won't buckle her harness, but can buckle and unbuckle a booster (She's 45lbs and tall). Her brothers buckle and unbuckle her Frontier regularly. The 12yo is happy to help; the 10yo thinks it's annoying :p

Unless it gets to be a huge pain is probably keep him harnessed if that's what you feel is best for him. His sibs will deal. Good luck :)

oakster

This is pretty much my almost-five-year-old too...it makes me nuts, because he clearly *could* unbuckle/buckle if he tried to learn it, but just adamantly insists that it's "too haaaaard."

For unbuckling, depending on what kind of car you have, you might be able to do that yourself from the front seat--I routinely unbuckle my son by just reaching back. It was a little wonky at first but once I got used to it it was super easy. I have buckled him that way too, but that's more of a pain (he's outboard on the passenger side). It's possible, though, and could be worth it if it's really bothering your older child.

My son's stats are exactly the same as your son's and we don't plan to move him out of the harness for at least another year, at which point he'll hopefully have hit 40 pounds and we can figure out if he seems ready otherwise. He does have friends who are smaller/lighter in boosters, but I personally don't want to go that route yet.

Good luck with the decision!

bnsnyde

For our school carline (4 kids exiting van) I use boosters for ages 5 and up but for my kids, they sit correctly.
When I had just 2 kids my kindergarten child was still harnessed in carline.

My child was 5 in April and 49" and 55 lbs. so bigger; actually he refused to do his harness correctly (and the straps were a pain to get right; he freaked out at my help). The booster solved all those problems.
For your guy...really up to you!

I still want a harness for him for a road trip, note.

thekatie

<snip>
For unbuckling, depending on what kind of car you have, you might be able to do that yourself from the front seat--I routinely unbuckle my son by just reaching back. It was a little wonky at first but once I got used to it it was super easy. I have buckled him that way too, but that's more of a pain (he's outboard on the passenger side). It's possible, though, and could be worth it if it's really bothering your older child.
<snip>
Good luck with the decision!

I can't in this car without unbuckling myself and really leaning out of my seat (RX350, and I'm short). No matter which side he's on. Now the Radian is behind the driver seat, so J1 doesn't have to climb over it getting in & out for school. DH can do that in his car though, with the Radian behind the passenger seat.

And thanks!

mel2012

Have you thought about getting one of the buckle helpers to help him undo the buckles, like the Buckle Bee or Buckle Bopper? That might be worth a try for unbuckling.

Or, if you think he really can do it but isn't trying, to motivate him into trying, plan an outing(s) to somewhere fun but make it clear when you get into the car that you're not helping and that you won't be going unless he buckles himself and, when you get there, that you're not getting out of the car until he unbuckles. This is what our daycare provider did with our son when he tried the "But I can't do it" routine on her.

MamaChirpy

My DD actually couldn't unbuckle her crotch strap. She turned 6 and still couldn't do it. She tried over and over. A booster solved that for us. She still has trouble with her seatbelt but not nearly as much as the harness. It's pretty much when she is tired.

I might try the booster. He may surprise you. But it's totally up to you. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thekatie

Have you thought about getting one of the buckle helpers to help him undo the buckles, like the Buckle Bee or Buckle Bopper? That might be worth a try for unbuckling. Or, if you think he really can do it but isn't trying, to motivate him into trying, plan an outing(s) to somewhere fun but make it clear when you get into the car that you're not helping and that you won't be going unless he buckles himself and, when you get there, that you're not getting out of the car until he unbuckles. This is what our daycare provider did with our son when he tried the "But I can't do it" routine on her.
My DD actually couldn't unbuckle her crotch strap. She turned 6 and still couldn't do it. She tried over and over. A booster solved that for us. She still has trouble with her seatbelt but not nearly as much as the harness. It's pretty much when she is tired. I might try the booster. He may surprise you. But it's totally up to you. [emoji4] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He really can't. It's awful watching him try. A buckle thingy is a good idea though!

And as an aside, does anyone know how to multi-quote from the desktop site? I can do it in the app, but not the forum site.

jjordan

He really can't. It's awful watching him try. A buckle thingy is a good idea though!

And as an aside, does anyone know how to multi-quote from the desktop site? I can do it in the app, but not the forum site.

Click on the button that has a + sign and " on it for each post you want to quote. Then click on the quote button and they should all show up.

danceintherain

My son just turned 6 a few days ago. He can't really buckle or unbuckle himself. I usually just reach back and unbuckle him before I get out of the car, then go around to unbuckle his sister. He can't really open a car door well either.

I don't have a problem doing the buckling, because it means I always check the tightness every time. I think I'd probably get lazy if he could do it himself.

I did start booster training him today. He's 44 lbs, but I don't remember his height. He seemed to do fine in the booster, and does enjoy being able to buckle and unbuckle himself.
It is crazy how their growth just sneaks up on you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC