WWYD or recommend in this situation

CRS

Senior Community Member
I have a parent who's asked me a question that I'm unable to give a clear answer for.

She has a station wagon with NO head restraints in the back seat, though every seating position has a lap and shoulder belt. She apparently can only fit two high back boosters in the back for her 4.5 and 6.5 year olds. However, on the odd occasion she needs to take an extra passenger i.e. a child.

On the occurrence she needs to take an extra passenger she's considering:

A) Putting Mr 6.5 year old in the middle of the back seat with just a lap/shoulder belt but no booster
B) In the middle of the back seat with a harness similar to the 86Y
C) In the front seat with it pushed all the way back, in his booster seat, with an active front passenger air bag

At the moment she lets Mr 6.5 ride in the back without a booster in the middle seating position.

I'm thinking I would probably rather put him in the front with the seat pushed back, in his booster seat. I might have considered the 86Y type harness option however I don't think the 6.5 year olds legs would be able to be bent comfortably over the edge of the seat (therefore bringing the lap belt up on to the abdomen).

I'm sure the answer is really rather obvious but I'd rather get other peoples POV's then make something up without being 100% on it!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old is the other child they need to squeeze in there? I'd almost put the 4.5 year old in something, a harness or a vest, in the middle. There's side impact protection from the others on either side, and the 4.5 year old is less likely to come over the top of the seat anyway, so a headrest wouldn't be needed yet.

Otherwise I'd get the 4.5 year old a Radian if possible and put that child in the front all the way back. Or if it's possible to use the harness in the front seat, I'd do that before a booster.

Wendy

CRS

Senior Community Member
How old is the other child they need to squeeze in there? I'd almost put the 4.5 year old in something, a harness or a vest, in the middle. There's side impact protection from the others on either side, and the 4.5 year old is less likely to come over the top of the seat anyway, so a headrest wouldn't be needed yet.

Otherwise I'd get the 4.5 year old a Radian if possible and put that child in the front all the way back. Or if it's possible to use the harness in the front seat, I'd do that before a booster.

Wendy

Sorry, no Radians much less HWH seats in my country :) I'll ask her what age the other child is. We have no vests here. Why would you rather use a harness in the front seat then a booster?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because you put the oldest harnessed child in the front. So if you have the option of using a harness, I'd put that child in the front rather than a boostered child. If the 6.5 year old could wear the harness up there, then that's even better.

Wendy

CRS

Senior Community Member
Because you put the oldest harnessed child in the front. So if you have the option of using a harness, I'd put that child in the front rather than a boostered child. If the 6.5 year old could wear the harness up there, then that's even better.

Wendy

Why? Because of head excursion? There's no tether anchor behind the front seat so that's ruled out.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Ok, still don't know what the best choice would be, bummer lol. Maybe the back with a harness huh...

One cannot really answer that without knowing the age and weight of the other child, or if they have additional tether bolts behind the seat for the child harness.

Depening on the age she has the option of a harness, or another small full back to half back booster like the Nania or even one of the Babysafe (NZ) seats with harness/full and half booster. They are about 45cm across and do not take up too much room. Supernanny are releasing combined boosters with tethers this year.

CRS

Senior Community Member
One cannot really answer that without knowing the age and weight of the other child, or if they have additional tether bolts behind the seat for the child harness.

Depening on the age she has the option of a harness, or another small full back to half back booster like the Nania or even one of the Babysafe (NZ) seats with harness/full and half booster. They are about 45cm across and do not take up too much room. Supernanny are releasing combined boosters with tethers this year.

She can't fit another booster in the middle, she already has a couple of relatively slim ones. A half booster would be no better a) because it would be too wide and b) because it would raise the child up and with no head restraint so they'd most likely get whiplash, break their necks, etc.

What car is it? I can fit 3 slim seats across my car and my car is not huge in fact im sure most station wagons would be bigger, and I do not puzzle my seats.
Does it not have head rests because of the age of the car, or because someone took them out?

Why not ask her to give you the vital details before you give any information out? You cannot expect to answer their questions in the first and only email reply every time.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How does mr. 6.5 yr old fit in the middle seating position? Would he pass the 5 step test without a booster? It's wouldn't be a typical thing, but possible depending on the vehicle seat and belt geometry... would he have appropriate head support without the booster?

If he passes the 5 step test and has head support without the booster, I'd continue to leave him in the middle without a booster. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have, and if the seatbelt is fitting him properly & he has adequate head support right now, I think it's ok for the rare occassion that all 3 ride in the vehicle.

If you did have to go with a booster in the front seat, you'd want to make sure it was a backless booster. A backless booster would reduce the proximity that the child would be starting out from the airbag in the event of a crash because the child's back would be against the vehicle seat and not have a couple inches of booster between him & the vehicle seat. This would probably be the best choice in the absence of proper head support or a proper seatbelt fit in the middle seating position.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Why not ask her to give you the vital details before you give any information out? You cannot expect to answer their questions in the first and only email reply every time.

Don't assume I haven't asked her, "answer their questions in the first and only email reply"? Gah, I'm not stupid.

How does mr. 6.5 yr old fit in the middle seating position? Would he pass the 5 step test without a booster? It's wouldn't be a typical thing, but possible depending on the vehicle seat and belt geometry... would he have appropriate head support without the booster?

If he passes the 5 step test and has head support without the booster, I'd continue to leave him in the middle without a booster. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have, and if the seatbelt is fitting him properly & he has adequate head support right now, I think it's ok for the rare occassion that all 3 ride in the vehicle.

If you did have to go with a booster in the front seat, you'd want to make sure it was a backless booster. A backless booster would reduce the proximity that the child would be starting out from the airbag in the event of a crash because the child's back would be against the vehicle seat and not have a couple inches of booster between him & the vehicle seat. This would probably be the best choice in the absence of proper head support or a proper seatbelt fit in the middle seating position.

Awesome answer! Thanks so much, that's what I was looking for. :love: I'd rep ya but I've clean run out of rep points lol

CRS

Senior Community Member

Awesome answer! Thanks so much, that's what I was looking for. :love:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Do you guys have the option of the Ride Safer Travel Vest? You could use that for the shortest child who would still get head support from the seat back.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Do you guys have the option of the Ride Safer Travel Vest? You could use that for the shortest child who would still get head support from the seat back.

Nope :( If we did have it, that would have been one of my suggestions. Bummer eh :(

HEVY

Maybe if someone on the site was selling a saferider vest it would be an option if they would be willing to ship it to you. I assume the manufacturer doesn't ship to you. Couldn't hurt to ask. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC