WWYD? - oldish seat from Target

erikanc

Just ordered the old-style Britax PWSG from Target.com. Got it today and DOM is 9/27/12. I know it's being retired, but I was hoping for 2013 at least. I called Target and they said they could ship me another one but no way to guarantee more recent DOM. WWYD? :question:

ADS

erikanc

I just got off the phone with Britax. The woman told me the "rule of thumb" is to start counting from the manufacture date, but that it is acceptable to start counting from date of purchase in regards to expiration date, and to actually write it on the sticker on the car seat as a reminder. DOM is only used becuase people tend not to remember when they purchased a seat. Have any of you heard that this was OK? TIA!

SavsMom

erikanc said:
I just got off the phone with Britax. The woman told me the "rule of thumb" is to start counting from the manufacture date, but that it is acceptable to start counting from date of purchase in regards to expiration date, and to actually write it on the sticker on the car seat as a reminder. DOM is only used becuase people tend not to remember when they purchased a seat. Have any of you heard that this was OK? TIA!

Well that's a new one.
I typically don't trust c/s reps to know the answer. I know many people have called c/s regarding various issues with seats and the array of responses makes your head spin. I always go by what the manual and seat says for dom/expiration - its printed on the seat and in the manual for a reason.

tl01

That is something I have never heard. I personally wouldn't follow that rule. Did you get a good price for the seat?

Snow mom

Gosh, that sounds like super shady advice to me. Some people buy convertibles before their baby is born and they aren't used for over a year. Lots of people have backup seats that are hardly ever used. But in all these instances I'd say the expiry is the expiry.

bpirof

Gosh, that sounds like super shady advice to me. Some people buy convertibles before their baby is born and they aren't used for over a year. Lots of people have backup seats that are hardly ever used. But in all these instances I'd say the expiry is the expiry.

I agree... We received a convertible for our baby shower, but that doesn't mean it expires any later.... Or kind of like when Walmart I think it was, had seats out that were expiring in a year, you can't just restart that... Eeek! :-/

HappyHoo

I bought an SGL from diapers.com last week that had an Oct 2012 mfr date.

I wasn't super happy with that, but I bought it for my tall 7 yo so it won't expire before she's done with it.

And since my 4 yo is also tall, if I'm able to get a different cover for it, it's likely it will still last through him needing a booster until he 5 steps. So I figured I wouldn't bother with trying to see if I could get a better date.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC