Would you rather? rf/ff center/outboard

Syllieann

In a secondary vehicle '04 passat sedan (my mom's car), dd rides rf outboard in scenera and ds rides center rf rn xtsl. I ordered a wayfair fr85 that will just be sitting here for the next 9 months so I'm considering using it in my moms car. I could put ds center ff in fr85 and dd outboard rf in the xtsl. If only 1 child is w/ them, then either could use the rf rn outboard. If both are w/ them, then ds would be ff center and dd would have rn xtsl outboard. The scenera can't rf center because it interferes w/ driver's position. DS is 39 months and dd is 14 months. I know rf is super safe but it makes me cringe a little to see her outboard w/ just that piece of plastic scenera between her head and the window. For some reason I feel the steel xtsl w/ eps wings would be soooo much better even if it means ds sometimes rides ff. wwyd-Am I just paranoid?

ADS

canadiangie

I know Passats aren't huge, but I'm having a hard time imagining a Scenera interfering with the front seat if it's installed a little more upright. If it's a case of you not being comfy installing the Scenera more upright because of Dorel's stance on the level line, would you consider buying a new Scenera with dual level lines?

On the other hand, I'd be okay with a 39 m/o FF, and so using the Frontier in the middle and Radian outboard would be an acceptable game plan for me.

Syllieann

RF is always safer regardless. I'd do outboard RF without a doubt over ff middle.

DS can't ride outboard though because he needs the xtsl in order to fit rf so it's more of a question...is the safety difference of dd rfing outboard in the xtsl vs the scenera (she'll be rf either way) enough to make it reasonable to ff ds in the center.

Syllieann

I know Passats aren't huge, but I'm having a hard time imagining a Scenera interfering with the front seat if it's installed a little more upright. If it's a case of you not being comfy installing the Scenera more upright because of Dorel's stance on the level line, would you consider buying a new Scenera with dual level lines?

On the other hand, I'd be okay with a 39 m/o FF, and so using the Frontier in the middle and Radian outboard would be an acceptable game plan for me.

I'm ok installing more upright but my dad thinks he needs the driver seat all the way back. He thinks my erf stance is a little extreme but is willing to respect my wishes. I'd rather that he not be "put out" by the rf though if there's another option.

Syllieann

I agree too that I would much rather have the outboard seat be the radian. Even if that means that a 39 month old goes ff...still struggling w/ that part a little. They are looking to buy a minivan w/in the yr so I can't really justify buying another seat for her to use outboard since she can go in the middle once they get a new car and then the scenera is perfectly fine.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We know rf is safer at that age, but we have nothing saying the Scenera is less safe than the Radian. So essentially you're making the judgement call for something you "feel" is less safe vs something you KNOW is less safe...

That said, I'd leave them both RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC