Would you buy a Frontier off of craiglist?

jwoodbri

So I know everyone's comfort level is different but I just found a Frontier 85 for $100 on craigslist. The listing says it was used as an extra and is in great condition. Bought a year ago. I'll check dom and asked if it was ever in an accident even a tiny one. This seat would be used as a backup seat for occasional trips in Grandma's car. Thoughts?

Thanks!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Any seat you plan to use should be trusted. Do you trust this stranger to be telling the truth about this seat? With more than 87% of seats being misused, I don't trust using a lot of people's seats.

Emi's Mommy

I wouldn't. Unless you trust this complete stranger with the life of your child, don't buy a used seat.

And everybody lies. I can tell you that a seat has never been in an accident. But I can also tell you that the sky is green and grass is blue. Do you believe me? Nope.

Jessica61624

Emi's Mommy said:
I wouldn't. Unless you trust this complete stranger with the life of your child, don't buy a used seat.

And everybody lies. I can tell you that a seat has never been in an accident. But I can also tell you that the sky is green and grass is blue. Do you believe me? Nope.

Too add to this people have different ideas of WHAT exactly counts as an accident. Even with Britax not requiring replacement after every accident I need to be the judge.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I've been tempted, but not so much to save money. Just because there was someone near me selling an old style parkway and I really really wanted to see if it would fit in my car (nothing else I've tried fits except a Radian and the RSTV, and the child's almost too big for the Radian and the RSTV isn't a good fit for her). Since it's not available anywhere else... oh... I was very tempted. But I resisted. I just know there are people out there who will lie in order to make a buck. I would only buy a seat on Craigslist if it were new, in the box, with tags still attached. And even then only after closely inspecting the seat AND spending a fair amount of time talking to the seller to make sure I felt the seller was trustworthy.

And maybe not even then.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Nope, for the same reasons everyone above posted.

I *might* consider buying from another CPST, but most likely if it wasn't another tech that I already knew I probably wouldn't.

Pixels

Absolutely not. I wouldn't even buy a seat from most of the people here. People lie, especially when money is involved. There is more you can do to invisibly ruin a seat than crash it, too.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Nope, I wouldn't. You also never know if they washed the straps, dropped it, or was rough with it.

jwoodbri

Thanks everyone for responding. I didn't really expect any different here. Another forum perhaps but not here. :) If it was for a primary seat there isn't any way I would consider it but since it was going to be a seat that was used by one of my boys once a month... anyway, didn't buy it. Already sold anyway. Still looking for a good seat that my two oldest boys could share for that occasional one-on-one trip with Gramma. I'll continue by time consuming quest for a good deal on a new seat. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC