Would this be safe?

ADS

AshleyCPST

CPS Technician
i still has the potential to interfere with harness where it comes through the shell and is an aftermarket product which isnt allowed by the car seat manufacturer and will void the warranty of the seat and potentially the insurance coverage if it were in an accident. but its a parental decision.

Andie

I've heard that you can use a bundle me in the seat if you cut the back out so it doesn't interfere? Could it be modified like that to make it safer?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I would be okay with it if the back was cut out so that it did bit interact with the harness at all.

embassykh

What would be the point of taking the time to make it just to cut the back out? It would be just the same as a blanket then. It would be nice to make for a stroller though.

Cryssy Jane

embassykh said:
What would be the point of taking the time to make it just to cut the back out? It would be just the same as a blanket then. It would be nice to make for a stroller though.

Not really. It would still be behind the noggin and down sides. I'm sure one could cut slightly larger than the harness width in a box shape so that the blanket doesn't interfere but there's still more swaddle to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What about cutting REALLY WIDE slits, so there is no chance of the harness twisting? I think I'd be ok with it at that point, as long as that is THIN batting. The twisting is the only potential issue I see and honestly it's not half as bad as much of the aftermarket stuff I see.

Phineasmama

I'd rather just use a shower cap type cover, that's what I always did with my babies. Put a little blanket over them *after* they're buckled in, and then with the cover on top they stay nice and warm.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
When I first started reading the boards and training, the official safety video from some official place (I can't remember where, but it was oooold, lol) showed how it was awesome to just cut harness slits in a receiving blanket and lay it in the seat before you put the baby in. It made me go :confused: even back then. But really, meh, not something that would freak me out too much if someone wants to put the time and effort into it. Hopefully someone that attuned to details and could sew that, would also be able to look at directions and get a good harness fit...

rachelandtyke

Since she's making it herself to go along with her seats, not sure why she didn't just cut the slits horizontal at the level of the straps coming out? Seems like that would eliminate any bunching or twisting of the straps.

tiggercat

Like any aftermarket product, it is really going to depend how it is used.
A thin layer of fleece, wide slits in the back and a user making sure the straps are tight, not misrouted and with no fabric bunched at the shoulders? Probably unlikely to cause an issue.
"Typical use" with loose straps and low chest clip, plus a cushy comforter (warmer is better!) and misrouted or bunched straps? Disaster waiting to happen...
Most parent have a hard enough time getting it right without adding extra crap. I'd much prefer a shower cap style blanket, myself.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

cookie123

If you click on the product page of the Cuddlebebe, it shows the back. I'd be okay with that. It looks kind of useful. I have to say, I found the Bundle Me with the back cut out to be bulky and in the way. It doesn't stay in place very well. I wonder if this product would bug me in the same way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC