Would Advocate fit on Westjet?

lili

So, I'm trying to decide between getting a new seat for travel or just bringing our Advocate. Is that even an option? The thing is huge - would it fit?

My DD is 2 years, 9 months and still RF'ing in the Advocate. We'll need it on the plane and then in a rental car.

Any advice? Anyone know if there are limits to how wide the seat is on Westjet? We're flying from Vancouver (Canada) to California.

ADS

mrosehughes

I flew with a britax blvd RFing on a few southwest flights when DS was 1. It installed fairly easily, but the arm rest had to be up and the person beside it (DH, haha!) was a bit squished. Is the advocate wider than the blvd because of the side impact protection? (I think it might be). If so, unless westjet has very wide seats it might be tough. It'll also be a pain up and down the aisles (and I'd recommend a cart or stroller for the carseat in the airport, whether you bring the advocate or something else).

What size is your DD (height and weight), and what size shirt fits (to indicate torso length)? A Cosco scenera is an often recommended travel seat, but it has a very short shell. It also won't be quite as easy an install as the britax.

creideamh

Oy, I wouldn't even attempt it. Definitely wouldn't fit to roll down the aisle on a luggage cart, so you'd have to lift that thing up and over the seats, not hit anyone else, and wrestle it into the row. I'd grab a travel seat (Evenflo SureRide?)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If she's rear-facing then I think it would be fine, so long as you know you'll have to carry it over the seats to get it down the aisle. The Britax seats install nicely on planes, and it will be a familiar seat for her and you. My only worry would be if the width at the top would be too bulky against the outer wall of the plane when she's in the window seat. You know it will fit in just about any car you end up with as a rental.

Any lightweight seat ordinarily recommended for travel (in Canada) is probably close to outgrown -- the Dorel seats max out at 36" rear facing, and Evenflo at 37". The Scenera at 32" :( No SureRide here yet.

Unless you're prepared to forward-face her for the trip I'm not sure there's anything that would be worthwhile. How tall is she?

:yeahthat: to the above. It would likely fit, but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I flew WestJet into Miami a little while ago and watched a couple with a brand-new Advocate 70-G3 (in Zebra, yes I drooled.) and it did not look like fun to maneuver through those aisles. They had it on the Britax Travel Cart going through security and whatnot, which seemed fine, but getting it onto the plane was not something I would have wanted to attempt.

If it were me, I'd pick up a Scenera and strap it to luggage or a stroller. It'll be worth it's weight in gold when you realize how easy it is to travel with.

lili

Hi everyone - thanks for the responses. She'll be 3 in July and she's about 30 pounds and 38 inches tall. She's in a 3T shirt (with a bit of room).

So - I think the Scenara is out. I'm having a hard time coming up with any seat I could get that will rearface her....... I don't mind FF on the plane, but I'd like her RF in the rental car. Thoughts?

Pixelated

MyRide, True Fit, or Radian is about all she would fit into. Of those the Radian is a dream to FF on a plane, the others I haven't traveled with so I don't know.

If you're not opposed to the price tag, I would go for a Radian and FF on the plane, pack the RF boot (if you're unfamiliar with the seat, this is an attachment that is necessary for RF the Radian) in your luggage and RF at destination.

Boot

No help in the seat although my choice would probably be to buy a lightweight travel seat and forward face. I wouldn't bring my Radian, it's SO heavy.

ANYWAY. Heads up! My friend's DH flew with Westjet from YVR a few days ago with their 2 and 4 year olds. He tried to bring the carseats and was laughed at by check in and told he had to check the seats. I'm so mad for him. He had both kids by himself. I emailed the link to the relevant page so they can show it for their return journey.

So make sure you print off a copy of their own policy. It's on their website.

mrosehughes

Yeah, if the scenera is out then I'd look at some of the seats the pp mentioned. We fly with DS's radian and love it for that (we do ff on the plane, though). On a stroller (maclaren umbrella) through the airport, and on the back with the backpack straps up and down the aisles. Last time we flew DH just put it on his back the whole time, but I wouldn't want to do that myself.

lili

If she's rear-facing then I think it would be fine, so long as you know you'll have to carry it over the seats to get it down the aisle. The Britax seats install nicely on planes, and it will be a familiar seat for her and you. My only worry would be if the width at the top would be too bulky against the outer wall of the plane when she's in the window seat. You know it will fit in just about any car you end up with as a rental.

Any lightweight seat ordinarily recommended for travel (in Canada) is probably close to outgrown -- the Dorel seats max out at 36" rear facing, and Evenflo at 37". The Scenera at 32" :( No SureRide here yet.

Unless you're prepared to forward-face her for the trip I'm not sure there's anything that would be worthwhile. How tall is she?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I was also wondering about the width at the top against the wall if she's by the window. Do RF'ing car seats have to be by the window?

Has anyone ever installed an Advocate RF'ing in the window seat and had any issues?

I'm just worried I'll lug the big thing on and not get it to fit FF'ing or RF'ing well.......

creideamh

Sorry, forgot you don't have the SureRide yet!
I've never installed an Advocate or any other Britax on the plane, but car seats must be installed in the window seat. I believe the only exception is if you have multiple kids & car seats.

Pixelated

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I was also wondering about the width at the top against the wall if she's by the window. Do RF'ing car seats have to be by the window?

Has anyone ever installed an Advocate RF'ing in the window seat and had any issues?

I'm just worried I'll lug the big thing on and not get it to fit FF'ing or RF'ing well.......

RF seats do have to go by the window, unless you're in a huge plane with a middle block of seats and then I think the car seat could go in any one of those spots. You're not allowed to block anyone else's access to the aisle essentially, even yourself or your other kids.

Here's a poster who said she did put the Advocate on the plane: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2498363&postcount=6

I'm PM-ing her to ask about the width issue.

lili

RF seats do have to go by the window, unless you're in a huge plane with a middle block of seats and then I think the car seat could go in any one of those spots. You're not allowed to block anyone else's access to the aisle essentially, even yourself or your other kids.

Here's a poster who said she did put the Advocate on the plane: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2498363&postcount=6

I'm PM-ing her to ask about the width issue.

Oh, thank you! Well if she installed it RF'ing then she must of had to do so next to the window - unless she had the middle block, I guess. Thanks for PM'ing her. Let me know what she says. Thanks!

Pixelated

Oh, thank you! Well if she installed it RF'ing then she must of had to do so next to the window - unless she had the middle block, I guess. Thanks for PM'ing her. Let me know what she says. Thanks!

She might just come onto this thread, I included the link.

Wreckgoddess

Sorry, I've been off the boards for a few weeks!!!
I'm the one she PM'd.
I did fly Southwest with an Advocate, the new gen one.
We had it RF next to the window seat and I sat next to him. It was no big deal with the air bladders.
Install was easy and fast.
Yes, we lifted it up over the aisles when carrying it onboard but this wasn't an issue, we were traveling in a group of 7 adults and one kiddo... so one of the guys carried it onboard.

I would travel/fly with it again in a heartbeat and liked knowing my son was in a nice seat during takeoff/landing versus a seat without so much SIP/SICT. But thats just me.

My son was almost 2 or was 2 when we flew and RF'd it on the plane.

lili

Sorry, I've been off the boards for a few weeks!!!
I'm the one she PM'd.
I did fly Southwest with an Advocate, the new gen one.
We had it RF next to the window seat and I sat next to him. It was no big deal with the air bladders.
Install was easy and fast.
Yes, we lifted it up over the aisles when carrying it onboard but this wasn't an issue, we were traveling in a group of 7 adults and one kiddo... so one of the guys carried it onboard.

I would travel/fly with it again in a heartbeat and liked knowing my son was in a nice seat during takeoff/landing versus a seat without so much SIP/SICT. But thats just me.

My son was almost 2 or was 2 when we flew and RF'd it on the plane.

OK! Thank you so much for posting! This makes me feel a bit less stressed about it. I was mostly worried about the air things on the side and how they would fit next to the window. Sounds like it should be okay. Hopefully West Jet isn't terribly different than Southwest. Just over a week to go! I'll post back and let everyone know how it went.

Thanks again!

Pixelated

OK! Thank you so much for posting! This makes me feel a bit less stressed about it. I was mostly worried about the air things on the side and how they would fit next to the window. Sounds like it should be okay. Hopefully West Jet isn't terribly different than Southwest. Just over a week to go! I'll post back and let everyone know how it went.

Thanks again!

Yes please - take a pic if possible, it would be good to have that for reference. Safe travels!

lili

Everyone was so helpful before my trip, I've been meaning to come back and share a picture! Westjet was amazing on both the flights we made - I could NOT have had our flights go any smoother. On the way there, they let us board first, well in advance.

We installed the Advocate rear-facing by the window. It was fine width wide - close to the wall of the plane by the window, but not touching. It was a bit tight fitting it behind the seat in front though. It was definitely touching and I had to really push it down to get it flat on the seat, but I think it was all okay. The seat bottom was angled up so it looks like it's not flat but it is resting on the seat......

9096794773_eca8799d8a.jpg
[/url]
IMG_2883 by http://www.flickr.com/people/46015087@N00/, on Flickr
9096795381_770f480293.jpg
[/url]
IMG_2882 by http://www.flickr.com/people/46015087@N00/, on Flickr[/IMG]

And one from the way home:

9096812285_b2f173d31e.jpg
[/url]
IMG_3388 by http://www.flickr.com/people/46015087@N00/, on Flickr[/IMG]

We also had my 5-year-old in her Radian, which was super easy to install. So to summarize, the Advocate is doable and pretty easy to install. Westjet was amazing, from check in, to boarding and all through the flight. They even brought our stroller up to the plane door when getting off the flight, so we just popped these car seats on the stroller and off we went, which given the size/weight of these seats, was very helpful!

Thank you to everyone who answered my million questions - this board is such a treasure. Any questions, just shout!

Pixelated

Oh I'm SO glad it worked out for you! Thank you for the pictures, always a bonus to have to reference for someone else down the line. Glad your trip went well :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC