Windshield OEM vs Aftermarket

ks1978

I am going to get my windshield replaced this morning (nice long crack across the center of it :mad:) and have been looking into whether or not getting the manufacturers glass (OEM apparently?) or the aftermarket. The guy I spoke with told me the difference is made in US vs China, which led me to think of all the toys made in China... He originally quoted my $189 for aftermarket and $289 for OEM and when I called back and asked me for a deal, he said $239. The other places I called said $159 and up, for what I am assuming is aftermarket. In my 14 adult years, I've never had to have a windshield replaced, so I am not sure what to do!

Anyone have experience with this? My gut tells me just to go with the glass made in the US, but money is tight right now...

ADS

Maedze

You aren't going to be licking the windshield or serving baby formula in it, right? Go with the cheap version unless you generally buy American made for ethical reasons.

Melanie

I don't know that I believe him about the difference being which country the glass comes from. I used to work for an insurance office and had glass vendors in all the time trying to get us to refer out to them. I've never heard anything mentioned about the country of origin. Even American cars are manufactured in other countries (or parts of them at least). So it's possible the factory windshields would be made somewhere else too.

The one thing I would do is go with a reputable company...I'm not sure how you tell who is reputable and who isn't over the phone. IME, the ones that solicit at the car washes and gas stations are the worst. Make sure their techs are certified. I've seen sloppy work done by some fly by night companies. It's important that they use the proper sealant. If you are going to be driving the vehicle within a few hours, they need to put some special quick drying agent in the sealer. They normally don't. Make sure you follow their recommendations on how long to wait before driving. Your windshield plays an important role for your airbags to properly work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC