Will it fit?

heasmommy

Senior Community Member
I just ordered a Clek Oobr for my hubby's car. We have 3 across in there right now with 3 Radians but my oldest DS is outgrowing his. So my question is how narrow is the Oobr? Do you think that it will work in a 3 across? He drives a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. If it does not work I will just put it in my van but what would be the narrowest booster that I can get?

ADS

mykidsmom

I know this does not answer any of your questions, but I have questions for you!

We have a 2002 Pathfinder. I am unable to get an acceptable install with our Radian. I have tried both outboard spots, but not center. I have tried ffing and rfing. There is no latch, just seat belts. I have even had a tech try. Because of the long belt stalks, even twisting 3x does not pull the buckle off the edge of the belt path.

So, I am wondering how you get good installs with yours? Are you using seat belts or latch? rfing or ffing? is there something else different about your 2006 Pathfinder than our 2002 Pathfinder?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Long belt stalks love Radians. Leave them untwisted and try to get them completely in the belt path. That's how I do it with my 2001 Xterra (same long stalks).

OP: There are no boosters are narrow as the Radian, but narrow boosters include the Graco Turbobooster, the Recaro Vivo, and the Britax Parkway SG. The Oobr isn't especially wide, but it's not super narrow either. And using it with LATCH may move it more toward the center than you like, so you may find that fitting it in requires you to not use the LATCH.

Wendy

mykidsmom

Long belt stalks love Radians. Leave them untwisted and try to get them completely in the belt path. That's how I do it with my 2001 Xterra (same long stalks).

Just wanted to address this.

In our case, the long belt stalk when rfing was hitting on the edge of the entrance to the belt path even not twisted. twisting 1x, 2x, and 3x still had it hitting on the edge. The only difference was where it hit on the plastic encasement of the female part of the buckle.

For ffing, leaving it untwisted did get it into the belt path, but then it was hitting right next to the edge of the belt path on the portion of the frame that is closest to the seat back (rather than the outer edge near the bottom of the belt path opening). I am not sure if I can explain it in words. The tech who helped me said it was good enough, but not great. I did not feel comfortable with it. It seemed it was still stressing the plastic encasement over the buckle, right near where the read button is to push to open the buckle. It almost seemed like it would be easy to accidentally unlock the buckle even through the car seat cover.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I thought the Pathfinders (at least of your era) were as long as my stalk. By pressing my weight on that side of the seat I was able to pop the entire buckle into the belt path.

Same thing forward facing. I think maybe the very back of the plastic was on the edge of the belt path. But that's fine. You just don't want where the male and female ends meet to be on the edge. Too much pressure on something you don't want to pop.

Wendy

mykidsmom

I thought the Pathfinders (at least of your era) were as long as my stalk. By pressing my weight on that side of the seat I was able to pop the entire buckle into the belt path.
hmm, I am willing to try again. Was this forward or rear facing?

Same thing forward facing. I think maybe the very back of the plastic was on the edge of the belt path. But that's fine. You just don't want where the male and female ends meet to be on the edge. Too much pressure on something you don't want to pop.

Wendy

I asked previously about the plastic casing being on the belt path and was told that was a no-no. It should be webbing, not the plastic casing or the latch plate, as they could break. As it is, there are stress marks on the plastic casing just from the test installs that were done. Wouldn't that cause a problem if there is all that pressure on the plastic casing and it broke? then the install would become loose.

mykidsmom

I also notice that the Radian is not on the Nissan Snug Kids lists. But I have no idea if that means it didn't work or that it wasn't tested.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, both rear and forward facing.

1024014007_9d259af3d8.jpg

1024852300_d9b706a699.jpg

The Nissan site is not completely comprehensive.

OP, sorry to hijack your thread!

Wendy

mykidsmom

so it is ok for the stress on the plastic casing on the buckle? I know previously on this site I was told no. I also think our casing is much longer than yours.

Was the first picture rear or forward facing? I am assuming rear as is the second picture.

Is there much difference installation-wise between the older radians and the newer ones? Are the belt paths any different? We have an older radian - I think from 2007 or late 2006. I'd have to check the DOM, but it was purchased in 2007. It does not have the retroactive higher rfing weight limit. But if I could get it to fit, I might be willing to buy a newer one since dd2 is approaching the weight limit on her BLVD. We bought the blvd when we decided we couldn't get the radian installed.

heasmommy

Senior Community Member
Thanks!! I have a Turbo in my van so we may have to switch when it arrives. I have the two outboard radians FF and they are installed with LATCH. The center one is RF with a seatbelt install. They are all rock solid. I am not sure on the belt stalks :( I know that they body styles of the Pathfinders are different so I am not sure if that makes a difference :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC