Who's traveled on Swiss Air recently?

SuzaBanana

We've booked flights to Europe in August on Swiss Air & I'm trying to decipher their policy for DD2 who will have just turned 2. In their "Flying with Infants" section:
Baby seat
You can book a separate seat for your baby at the children’s rate. You can then use your own car or baby seat on it. This way, you will have enough room for yourself and the baby. Please ensure that the seat is certified for air travel and is appropriate to our seat dimensions (40x40cm/15.7x15.7IN). You are responsible for fitting the seat to the aircraft seat. However, our crew will be pleased to help you.
I'm not sure if this only applies to under 2 year olds or kids in general :confused:
Anyone have any experience with Swiss Air?

Currently my plan is to have A (will be 2y 1m) in the RA55 & J (will be 5y 1m) in a CARES or plane belt in-flight. We will bring the RSTV for her once in Europe. An additional consideration is that we are flying Business class (yay for our last year of rewards miles!) and the seats lie flat for sleeping...any thoughts around ditching the seat for A in-flight so that she can sleep? She's not really a car-seat friendly kid :thumbsdown: Has always hated her seat to some extent & the "almost-2s" isn't helping. Ugh. Obviously if we don't have the seat in-flight, we'd need to check it or gate-check.

Blargh. Help!

meljc

Oooh that's tough. We just flew Swiss in Dec/Jan but our son was ~15mo at the time so we were able to squeeze him into the Keyfit for one more trip! They basically seemed fine with the carseat even though it prevented the seat in front from reclining BUT they insisted on the use of the belly belt (so silly! so ignored!).

I think you basically have two choices:
1) If you want to make sure you have the seat on board, lie about your child's age and say that A is just under 2. They won't be able to tell and they almost certainly won't check. They'll give you a belly belt to use for take-off and landing, which you can kindly disregard as soon as the FA's are safely strapped into their own restraints. Is there enough pitch between seats in business to tuck the RA55 on the floor if she decides that she'd rather lay down in the seat?

2) If you don't want the seat on board, maybe try CARES but I've heard that it doesn't fit *well* until 3. Does the part that attaches around the seat adjust wide enough for the wider seat? I'd probably go with this option to be honest, as DS spent VERY VERY little of our flights to/from Zurich sleeping in his carseat.

How long is the flight? Have you flown intl with your LOs before?

SuzaBanana

Oooh that's tough. We just flew Swiss in Dec/Jan but our son was ~15mo at the time so we were able to squeeze him into the Keyfit for one more trip! They basically seemed fine with the carseat even though it prevented the seat in front from reclining BUT they insisted on the use of the belly belt (so silly! so ignored!).

I think you basically have two choices:
1) If you want to make sure you have the seat on board, lie about your child's age and say that A is just under 2. They won't be able to tell and they almost certainly won't check. They'll give you a belly belt to use for take-off and landing, which you can kindly disregard as soon as the FA's are safely strapped into their own restraints. Is there enough pitch between seats in business to tuck the RA55 on the floor if she decides that she'd rather lay down in the seat?

2) If you don't want the seat on board, maybe try CARES but I've heard that it doesn't fit *well* until 3. Does the part that attaches around the seat adjust wide enough for the wider seat? I'd probably go with this option to be honest, as DS spent VERY VERY little of our flights to/from Zurich sleeping in his carseat.

How long is the flight? Have you flown intl with your LOs before?
To answer you questions:
* I believe there is enough space in Business to tuck the RA55 under the seat when not flat or possibly in between seats since there is a console...not sure if that's "allowed", although they are typically very accommodating about finding space in Business & First. I just don't know what the official word is from Swiss Air. I should probably email them.

* We have a CARES that we have used for DD1 who will likely not need it. We can try it, but DD2 is a bit smaller than the size of DD1 the first time we used it & it barely fit then. Of course it's easy to take just in case. It does fit around a Lufthansa Business seat so I except the same for Swiss Air.

* Flight is 7ish hours. We've flown with both kids before, but this will be DD2's first transatlantic flight. DD1 has flown 2 or 3 times overseas with us before DD2 was born.

Question for you:
Did you see any other kids in car seats in-flight?
I'm wondering if the belly belt thing is just for under 2s?

I'm just so used to Lufthansa! They allow you to do whatever you want regarding seats as long as it has the FAA seal. The pilot on one flight was so fascinated by my CARES, that he took a card & said he was going to recommend to his superiors to have a few on every flight to provide to parents! :love:
Still waiting for that...;)

newyorkDOC

It's not that the car seat cannot be secured. It's an EU thing where the airlines insist you hold your child with one of those abdominal loop attachments during takeoff and landing.

krystin_21a

Our flight from LAX to Tokyo was about 12 hours and I cal tell you that my 2.5 year, car seat hating son, was much better behaved when not in his seat. We asked a FA to stow his seat seat and she kindly took the seat and me to a closet with their luggage and stowed it there. She wanted me to know where it was and not to forget it when we landed. Flight attendants have never been so accommodating to us before and it was great!

The only hiccup we had was that our son was sleeping flat and we were about to land and his green light on his pod was not showing. The FA had to sit him up and when she did she didn't catch him, so he kind of flopped forward and woke up. Let's just say that he was not a happy camper!

We did use his seat on our Tokyo to Bangkok leg (lay flat beds but not pods, side by side seats) and while he still slept the FA kept walking by him and picking his head up off his chest (he was forward facing and in a row with his sleeping five year old brother). She eventually laid the seat back for him and tucked him (seriously, this woman was amazing) but I think for comfort he would have been better in just the plane seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang.Rchrdsn

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2020 Carseat Media LLC