Who owns a Roundabout?

Mama Jo

Why did you choose it over a Marathon? (cost, size, etc.?) And if given the option to choose again, would you still choose it over the Marathon?

Are you currently using it, planning to use it for a baby on the way, or is it a 'leftover' from a child who's already grown out of it but you just can't get rid of yet... just in case?

If currently using it, is it your primary seat or a backup seat?

Are you using it ff or rf for a child of what age?

When did your child grow out of it (either ff or rf) or when do you anticipate your child growing out if it?

How many covers do you own and which ones?

And do you love it, hate it, or are indifferent?

**ETA: There will be a prize at the end for the person with the answers I like the best! :D

ADS

brittany741

Why did you choose it over a Marathon? (cost, size, etc.?) And if given the option to choose again, would you still choose it over the Marathon?

Size. I had a Volvo V70 at the time and the Marathon was just too big.

Are you currently using it, planning to use it for a baby on the way, or is it a 'leftover' from a child who's already grown out of it but you just can't get rid of yet... just in case?

I sold it because my daughter outgrew it and I got a minivan!

They were primary for us. I had three.

We used it RF up to 17 mos.

When did your child grow out of it (either ff or rf) or when do you anticipate your child growing out if it?

17 mos. by height RF.

I had an Onyx Dip., the pink flowered RA, a tan dot RA, and a gray RA.

If you need a small seat, this one is perfect. It is outgrown quickly however, which makes it expensive for the time you can squeeze out of it.

gsdguenter

Marathon was too expensive and we wanted a Britax seat but our local BRU only sold the MA and RA so we bought the RA. I would NOT buy it again because it is outgrown rfing too soon. As a FTM who didn't know much about rfing I didn't foresee this as a problem when we first bought it. I didn't know you could buy car seats online (I know, I know I'm old fashion about the internet) so the options we had we at our local (1 1/2 hr. away) BRU. It has held up great and we really like it, just outgrown too soon. Since then we have bought 2 MAs as we find are better worth the money.

We just stopped using it as ODD outgrew it (or was close to outgrowing it by 1 inch rule) at 23 months. We still have it but would sell it. It's in the dining room right now until we figure out what to do with it. Give it to DD2 (currently 11 weeks old) or just keep it to collect dust or sell it.

n/a

We were using it rfing until DD was 23 months and instead of turning her ff we retired the RA and bought a MA

23 months rfing

One cover - maze

Liked it a lot. IMHO i easier to tighten the straps than in the MA but I wish it had those pad things so the straps wouldn't dig into LO's neck. It is just outgrown too quickly and we want to erf until 4 yrs. so this was not an option.

Hope this helps!

momofmandp

I do/did. At one point we had 3 Roundabouts - one in my car and in each of the grandparents' cars (they helped take care of ds1 when I went back to work).

Why did you choose it over a Marathon? (cost, size, etc.?) And if given the option to choose again, would you still choose it over the Marathon? - We chose it years ago b/c dh did the research at that time and he went by Consumers Report that recommended the Roundabout over the Marathon. I've since taken over the car seat researching and now know that CR is not reliable research. ;)

Are you currently using it, planning to use it for a baby on the way, or is it a 'leftover' from a child who's already grown out of it but you just can't get rid of yet... just in case? - We're not currently using them anymore as ds2 recently outgrew (just before he turned 2) it by height rear facing. We've sold 2 of them a while ago and the 3rd one had recently been in a rear end accident, so it's just waiting to be disposed of.

If currently using it, is it your primary seat or a backup seat? - It was primary and backup seats for ds1 and then a primary seat for ds2 until the accident.

Are you using it ff or rf for a child of what age? - We're not currently using them anymore as ds2 recently outgrew (just before he turned 2) it by height rear facing.

When did your child grow out of it (either ff or rf) or when do you anticipate your child growing out if it? - Ds2 just outgrew it recently by height rear facing just before he turned 2. We used the Roundabouts w/ ds1 rear facing until he hit 32 lbs at around 3 yo. I didn't know better at the time and he should have been turned long before that due to height. :eek: He also outgrew it forward facing a little after 3.5 y.

How many covers do you own and which ones? -
We had 3 covers for 3 seats - no extras. We had Microdot Gray an two Tan Swirls.

And do you love it, hate it, or are indifferent? - I liked the Roundabout a lot for what it was, but would probably not choose it again due to the short shell height.

**ETA: There will be a prize at the end for the person with the answers I like the best! :D

jujumum

Why did you choose it over a Marathon? (cost, size, etc.?)

I was able to find one for $150 on sale with a FL Gators cover. I figured it would have a great resale and I could get about $100 on CL after 2 years of use. And, the RA offered a better fit in my DH's van rf than the MA.

And if given the option to choose again, would you still choose it over the Marathon?

Yes.

My ds is just about to outgrow it rf by height, and we've replaced it in our vans with a FPSVD & a BV. We've been holding on to it to use on a plane trip this summer and will sell it when we return.

Backup

We used it rf up to 24-25 months old.

Both my kids outgrew it by height. My dd used an RA ff through 3.5 yr, 34lbs, in my sitter's van, and my ds has maxed it out rf at around 24-25 months, 25lbs.

I had 2 RAs - one Top Cat :love:, and one FL Gator.

I :love: the RA. It is super easy to install and adjust, plush and comfy, easy to travel with, and fits great in every vehicle we tried. Now that there are so many options for extended rf, it doesn't make any sense for it to continue to be on the market, though. I'll be sad to see it go (both our little Gator and the seat overall), but I think it needs to be phased out to encourage parents to purchase and use seats that can rf beyond 2 yrs old.

o_mom

At the time, I knew several people with one, it was well rated by several baby gear books (not CR, though they also rated it high). I probably would choose it again for my situation, but I couldn't know that in advance (small kids and very close in age).

All three? I'm still using it for DS3 after having it leftover from DS1 and DS2. I don't know how long I will hang on to it after it expires next year.

Currently it is a secondary seat in DH's car.

Right this instant, it is used RF for my 26 mo DS3. He is hovering at 1 inch below the top of the shell and it is an older one that technically I could use RF until the tops of his ears reach the top of the shell, but I'll probably stop using it RF when he is even with the top. I also use it FF for DS2 who is 4 yrs, 3 months and around 35 lbs.

DS1 outgrew it FF at around age 4.5 and I don't remember when RF. DS2 outgrew it rear-facing (head even with top of shell) around age three and still fits in it FF with about an inch to go at 4 yrs, 3 months. DS3 is still RF in it at 2 yrs, 2 months.

I have Denim (original cover, real denim) and black shoulder pads, Cowmoo cover with Cowmoo shoulder pads and a vintage Celestial cover that was from a Freeway, IIRC.

I :love: :love: :love: my Roundabout. It is the best thing since sliced bread. I have had it in near constant use for almost 5 years and it will be used right up to expiration next Feb. Having said that, I don't usually recommend it to people because most kids outgrow it way too soon RF and FF. I would still use it as a primary seat if I didn't have anything else, but we switched to the Radian RF a few months ago for DS3 because it is easier to load him in. I do wish I would have swapped it back out for our recent long trip as the RA is up higher and I think he would have had a better view. :)

Stresch

I didn't choose it over a Marathon. I saw one for 40% off when I was visiting my mom and we were using the Scenera which the baby HATED

Currently using

Primary

Right now, ff for my 3.5 year old, usually rf for my 10 month old

My daughter probably outgrew it rf at about 3. She will probably outgrow it ff at 5 or 6. No clue about the baby

Just one, tan swirl

Love, love, love. Seriously. love.

Mama Jo

I will pick a winner at 11:00 pm today, Central Standard Time, at which time I will PM that person for their mailing address, so that I can send them their prize, which will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

So keep answering!!

TheQueenMother

Who owns a Roundabout?
We have one Roundabout currently in use. Our older one expired
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**We had a MA already when a friend asked if we wanted her older RA until it expired about a year later. From the time I got that seat, it became my favorite. I loved the ease of use, the adjuster, everything. When I got pregnant again, I had made arrangements to purchase one right before I learned that we lost that baby. When I learned I was pregnant w/ DS, I went ahead with my plans and bought a new RA. So for a new little one, I did chose it over a MA.
**DS has about 2 inches left RFing at 18 months old. Right now, a friend is using it for her 7 month old. When the seat is here, I use it as a travel seat for DS. I was disappointed when DD weighed 40 lbs as she still had a smidge of room FFing in that seat in harness height. I don't plan to get rid of it because I will use it FFing for DS as soon as he outgrows it RFing.

If currently using it, is it your primary seat or a backup seat? ** Right now it is a backup for me. A friend uses it full time right now and when it is here, I install it about 1X/week

Are you using it ff or rf for a child of what age? RFing for boys 18 months and 10 months

When did your child grow out of it (either ff or rf) or when do you anticipate your child growing out if it? **DD outgrew it at nearly 4 by weight but she has a short torso. DS still rides in the seat.

** We have 4 : denim, cowmoo, navy blue puppies, and my dh's favorite OU Sooners
And do you love it, hate it, or are indifferent? **Love, Love, Love it

abigaylebelle

The Roundabouts fit in my vehicle/family vehicles better than the marathon. I would absolutely buy another one, even now, if I had a third car to put it in.
Oh we're using both of them and will for some time to come.
primary seat, ds rides in it at least once every single day.
rear facing for my son who 2 years, 3.5 months.
It's hard to say, he has 3" total above his head and the top slots are just above the tops of his ears so I'm going to wager 3.5 years old rf and 5.5 years old ff. If he continues to be exceptionally short waisted he is predicted to weigh 35lbs at 4y3m and 40lbs at 5y8m.
Let's see here...two shells (one beige one light gray), four covers: onyx, bellamy, denim, and my personal fav cowmoo
I love it very much. Ah yes, the push button adjuster, the darling covers, and the ability to install in the smallest, humpiest, worst seatbelt backseats. I will probably cry the day my son reaches 40lbs/15.5" torso.

jnamommy

At the time we purchased the RA, I did not realize that torso height was such an important feature. I figured since my son was on the lighter side, paying extra for a higher limit was not worth it.

We are currently using it for dd. We moved her into into when our Snugride was in an accident, and was not worth replacing since she was 8 months old. She moved to the RA, and we bought Radians for ds.

Primary seat for dd in three vehicles (yes, we have three RAs!)

RFing for 15 month old, 15lb dd. Was used RF for ds until 18months (I did not realize the importance of ERF then), then FF for ds uintil it was handed down

ds never outgrew it. We moved him to FF at 18months (did not know importance of ERF). Even now at over 3 yrs, he would still fit FF, but would not fit RF due to height (but he is still under the RF weight limit). It will probably expire before dd outgrows it by weight, since she is such a peanut!!!

We have three bridgeports, one jessica, and one aloha. (3 seats, and 2 spare covers)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the RAs. I love the super easy harness adjuster. I love that it is easy to install. I have not had a MA, but I do not like the ratcheting adjuster on the RN. HOwever, given the chance I am not sure if I would have gotten a RA again....only due to the fact that it will be outgrown by height for most kids.

**ETA: There will be a prize at the end for the person with the answers I like the best!

cande

Both size and cost - I was a single mom expecting twins, driving a sedan. I would still choose it over a MA. The harness adjuster is simply perfect and its easy-peasy to install. Also fit amazingly well in an airplane seat RF.

Still using it and twin dds are 2 1/2+. been in constant use since 7m.

Primary seat

Using it ff for 2 1/2+ twin dds

expect to outgrow any day now ff. Both girls are fast approaching 36" and one is long in the torso

Just the Aloha that cam with it and the covers still look great

I love this seat. It was so easy to use correctly. It was cute, it fit great in my Acura sedan ,and now fits wonderfully in my Ody. Was so happy to leave the Snugrides behind.

autumnlily

We purchased a RA in addition to our 3 MA's... the shorter shell and beautiful ease of use has been worth adding it to our rotation of seats

Primary seat and will be for at least another year RF :)

RF, my DD at 16 mo old.
Also, using as a back up seat for when my friend's DD (DOB 10-17-06) travels with us - RF :)

Grace will turn two before she out grows the seat RF (most likely closer to 3 years old) and her twin sister, Etta, will probaly outgrow it around 2 years of age (RF). Big Sister, (DOB 12.01.05) still fits FF.

One cover for the one seat: Tan swirl

Love it! The shorter shell has made it possible for me to drive my vehicles and feel like my visibility and child's safety isn't compromised. My children are short with short torso's and, in retrospect, I should have purchased this seat over the MA's I had purchased for our oldest child.

Mama Jo

I've PM'd the prize winner! So if you didn't get a PM from me, you are not it ;) Sorry! I'm not telling who it is, although she is more than welcome to if she wants. I'm also not telling what the prize is :cool: She can tell you when she gets it. If she wants.

You are more than welcome to continue answering the questions if you like. Great info and thanks to all who have answered!!

libbiesmom

I have 2 RAs - both are hand-me-downs from SILs. One is going to expire at the end of this year and one was involved in a minor accident (I won't use this one). Had I the option to chose between the two I would chose the MA.

Yes, we are currently using it. The RA that is about to expire is installed in my sister's car.

As mentioned above, it is installed in my sister's car, so right now it is being used as a back up seat. My DD is 12 months and I still use her bucket seat (SS1) as my primary seat.

RF for a 12 month old

My DD is tall - I am hoping to make it til she is at least 18 months!

I only have the covers that came on each seat - a leopard print and the gray swirl

I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I would love it if I could use it RF longer. I only started using it in my sister's car about a month and a half ago - until then my sister just used the spare bucket seat. Turning DD FF right now is not an option for me so I won't be utilizing this seat to the 40 lb limit. I am just glad that it was handed down to me!

hsjwmom

Why did you choose it over a Marathon? (cost, size, etc.?)

I found it on clearance at Sears for less than $60. I couldn't resist it, even though I hadn't even conceived dd3!

And if given the option to choose again, would you still choose it over the Marathon?

For the price I paid, yes! The usual Albeebaby sale prices, no.

Using it for dd3

primary, it's easy enough to move around that I don't have a backup

rf for a 17 month old

My older girls outgrew our first RA around 4yrs ff. I didn't know much about ERF, so turned them at 15mo when the pedi told me there was no benefit to rf longer. :rolleyes: I expect dd3 to be able to rf to around 2.5yrs because she's a peanut. I'll buy a new seat to rf her longer when I need to, keeping the RA as a spare to use ff in dh's truck.

3 :eek: 2 Aloha and 1 Cowmoo

Honestly, I don't love it as much as I thought I would. DD really didn't fit well until she was at least 8-9 months. Even now, I don't love how the straps fit her shoulders. :shrug-shoulders: I do like how easy it can be to install it. I probably like it about as well as I did our MA. If I could have got as great a deal on a MA, I wouldn't have hesitated to get it over the RA.

If it makes a difference, I've mainly used our RAs and MA in Toyota Siennas.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC