Question Who has Nationwide/Allied insurance and been in an accident?

Sunshine112

The adjuster I have doesn't want to replace my 2 car seats I had in my car Friday night when I hit a deer. My car was not driveable, possibly totaled but I don't know that yet. He told me it's personal property and not a fixture in my car. I need help :(

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ask for a supervisor. They're occupant restraint systems. Offer proof in the manual that they are one use items like seatbelts. (Say that- like seatbelts. And point out the belts holding them in are unusable too if they were belt installed.)

cso1997

In my state, car seats ARE personal property. If I didn't want them covered under my homeowners insurance, I had to buy a separate policy to cover them. It was super cheap though. There probably is some way to convince him to cover them but I am not sure. It's not like he is saying that they don't need to be replaced. He is simply saying that replacement is not covered in your particular policy.

Sunshine112

Ok thanks for the advice and help. I know they need replaced. They will be no matter what. I have our backups for now so we are good but I like to get insurance to lay for them since they were my more expensive seats :(

2BunniesMommy

That is the company we have our ins though. They were really good about it, actually insisting that we replace them and sent us a letter about the importance of doing so. Ours were occupied when we were hit, so that was a factor and is likely the reason they are not seeing it as important for your seats. (Even though it is!)

I hope you are able to get it resolved.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That is the company we have our ins though. They were really good about it, actually insisting that we replace them and sent us a letter about the importance of doing so. Ours were occupied when we were hit, so that was a factor and is likely the reason they are not seeing it as important for your seats. (Even though it is!)

I hope you are able to get it resolved.

You and I also live in a state where they are required by law to replace them. But often once a supervisor gets involved, someone allowed to override and "interpret" things, they can be persuaded to include child restraints in occupant restraint systems (which they are) even in other states. It's very rare for "contents" to specifically spell out that it includes child restraints.

Sunshine112

They switched my adjuster to one who is actually in the same state as me and my car and he is AWESOME! He has been great to work with an insisted I replace my seats immediately (even the one in the trunk that I didn't ask to be covered but was going to replace myself). He told me to pick ANY seats I wanted. He also said my damage was bad enough that it is very close to be totaled out and asked me if is rather it be repaired or totaled.

clmchrissy

They switched my adjuster to one who is actually in the same state as me and my car and he is AWESOME! He has been great to work with an insisted I replace my seats immediately (even the one in the trunk that I didn't ask to be covered but was going to replace myself). He told me to pick ANY seats I wanted. He also said my damage was bad enough that it is very close to be totaled out and asked me if is rather it be repaired or totaled.

Wow! that's pretty great! More than I expected with them being personal property & unoccupied. I'm curious as to how they will allow you to choose to total the vehicle vs. repair. Usually the carrier decides if the cost to repair will exceed market value (most states go by if 70% of the value is repair cost it will be considered totaled).

2BunniesMommy

Glad to hear for such a great turn-around!

You and I also live in a state where they are required by law to replace them. But often once a supervisor gets involved, someone allowed to override and "interpret" things, they can be persuaded to include child restraints in occupant restraint systems (which they are) even in other states. It's very rare for "contents" to specifically spell out that it includes child restraints.
Are they required to replace them here even if they are not occupied? I have not been in that situation, but was under the impression the law was only for occupied. I did have a hard time with getting one replaced in 2008, and it was occupied! No clue what their issue was but it ended up working out, just had to talk to more people than I should have.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They are required, since a few years ago when the wording was changed, to replace any seats that are occupied or damaged in a crash. Since a seat that is rendered unusable because it must be replaced after any crash is considered damaged, any seat that needs to be replaced per manufacturer's instructions, occupied or unoccupied, plus any occupied seat whether it "needs" to be replaced or not (minor crash criteria met on a Britax for example, but was occupied) must be replaced by the at-fault insurance. :)

2BunniesMommy

They are required, since a few years ago when the wording was changed, to replace any seats that are occupied or damaged in a crash. Since a seat that is rendered unusable because it must be replaced after any crash is considered damaged, any seat that needs to be replaced per manufacturer's instructions, occupied or unoccupied, plus any occupied seat whether it "needs" to be replaced or not (minor crash criteria met on a Britax for example, but was occupied) must be replaced by the at-fault insurance. :)

Good to know! Info I hope I don't need, but it is very good to have. Thank you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC