Which three carseats?

3j'smom

Hi! We just recently found out that number 3 is Due in October. After searching this site I'm hoping to be able to buy new seats instead of a new car. I'm looking for suggestions of seats/arrangements.
My vehicle is a 04 Toyota Highlander

DS is 3 yr 2months (37 lbs, 40 inches), will be 4 in Dec
DD is 11 months (22 lbs, 30 inches)
Baby Due 10/30/10

Currently we own an older Snugride (love, but my tall kids out grow quickly), 3 marathons and 2 graco comfortsports (grandparent cars).

We are willing to purchase all new seats, if necessary. These are my "wants", and I hope they are possible! I WANT to keep the infant in a base so when I have to drop my 3 year old off at preschool 3 times a week I can just "grab and go." I would like to keep DD RF as long as possible (she'll be 19 months when new baby arrives).

How big of pain is it going to be to buckle and unbuckle 5 pt harness with three in a row?

Thanks in advance!!
Beth

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi! Welcome and congrats. :)

First:
How big of pain is it going to be to buckle and unbuckle 5 pt harness with three in a row?

Not as much of a pain as it'd be to try to wedge your hand between two seats to buckle up a booster!

I'd probably go straight for three Radians, honestly. They're narrow, have high top slots, fit newborns well (straight from birth, and certainly after you're done with the Snugride), have eight year lifespans, have high (40-45 pound) rear facing weight limits, and tall shells. However, they can be a bear to install. And they can force the front seats pretty far forward, as the angle is hard to adjust (I just fought with one last night). But they sound like they'd be the best for you.

If you want you can buy one at a time, starting for your eldest. Use that forward facing in the middle, then a Marathon and Snugride rear facing, if they fit. If not, replace the Marathon. Then get one for the baby.

How old is an "old" Snugride? The one you got for your eldest?

Wendy

aeormsby

I would start by getting one Radian, and trying that with the MA & snugride that you have. If it doesn't work, 2 Radians with the snugride and/or 2 Radians with the Marathon. I would think you'd have enough room for at least 1 of the seats you already own.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the advice! I was pretty sure we'd be buying at least one Radian, if not two :) The snugride (I believe, but have to check) was manufatured early '06. It should be okay, right? Also, do you recommend the 65 or 80 and any of the higher end Radian models? I don't mind spending more if the options are worth it! Which order do you suggest? Also, what makes them difficult to install? Should I use the seatbelt or latch? (only the two outer seats have latch!) When I had my snugride checked by a tech in 2006, she said the center was curved of my backseat and didn't recommend putting it in the middle. Now, we don't have a choice...one is going in the middle!

aeormsby

All the Radian models have the same shell size. So most kids will outgrow them by height before weight and don't need the extra lbs on the 80 version. But the XTSL & 80SL have a 45lb RF limit where the others have a 40lb limit. And the SL versions allow the use of Latch to the full weight limit if your vehicle is new enough (after 2005/6 - I don't remember the date).

There is a successful Radian install thread around somewhere, I think it's on the carseat chat board, that would be a good place to look for any comments specific to your vehicle. The hump on the center seat is very typical and can make it tricky to install some seats, you'll just have to find what works.

ETA - the Radian XT's have the additional head wings for more side impact protection.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC