Which seats should i use?

jewlsvern

That doesn't move the buckle though, it still leaves the fixed length male end of the seat belt in the same spot.

Yes, that is the problem. I always hear to ask for an extender but it doesn't help to move the buckle from their back. All the seats I have just have the cover between the belt and the kids back.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd fold a blanket (like a receiving blanket) in quarters and put it behind their back to pad them. I know, I know - I would NEVER suggest it for a car, but when you figure "kid properly restrained in carseat on airplane" is so very safe that the small amount of extra padding is worth it, IMO.

MissieCSZ

That doesn't move the buckle though, it still leaves the fixed length male end of the seat belt in the same spot.

I know in some cars and seats you can twist the belt stalk of a lap belt to shorten it.. Can you do that on planes?

For the airport can you get one of those "smart carts" for at least part of the walking/dragging of suitcases and children? Or might they have some sort of stuff-carrying help (a valet or concierge or whatever you'd call it) for a reasonable fee?

I traveled by myself with a layover and my 19 month old DS and I was already overwhelmed at how much I had to carry--I can't imagine 3 kids even with 2 adults. Hope you are able to find a way to make it work :)

rachelandtyke

I don't think so. The male end and female end of the belt are almost identical in length. It wouldn't work to twist one end.

I think that's must be how I've done it actually. I've always gotten the buckle out of the belt path. Shorten the female end so it's out of the belt path. Thread male end of seat belt extender through belt path and attach. Then twist male end of original belt and adjust female end of extender until seat is in snug and no buckles are in the belt path. Not sure where I was "taught" to do this, I know I didn't think of it on my own as I first did it back in the days before I had learned so much about car seat safety.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think that's must be how I've done it actually. I've always gotten the buckle out of the belt path. Shorten the female end so it's out of the belt path. Thread male end of seat belt extender through belt path and attach. Then twist male end of original belt and adjust female end of extender until seat is in snug and no buckles are in the belt path. Not sure where I was "taught" to do this, I know I didn't think of it on my own as I first did it back in the days before I had learned so much about car seat safety.

Did it stay that way? How did you get the female end short enough to be out of the belt path of seats with a low belt path? The OP has a Radian and the belt path is SO low on that seat that I wonder if the female end of the belt can be shortened enough. It might be able to be; I am just wondering. :)

When I flew earlier this summer, two of the four planes I took to and from Europe had these weird vinyl covers over part of the male end of the seatbelt. The belt was annoying with that cover. I would guess that cover would also prevent twisting. :(

rachelandtyke

I honestly don't recall exactly, it's been 2+ years (maybe even 3!) since I've flown. It was not hard thought. But the placing of the belt path is a good point - I know I had success with my classic Britax seats, which would have had a higher belt path because of the base. I don't remember for certain which other seats I've flown with ffing. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC