Which Convertible for 2010 Subaru Outback?

H

hhhhmmmm

I just can't seem to decide which convertible carseat I should get for my son. At five months, he was 27" and 17 lbs 9 ozs so he is a very tall boy. I would like for this carseat to last until he can be in a booster. I've read that a lot of carseats are difficult to get in Subarus. I don't really have a store I can go to to try carseats in my car either. Any suggestions?

ADS

Cryssy Jane

I'm on my phone right now but when I get to a computer at nap I'll be more detailed. I had a 2010 outback as my loaner car when my impreza was in the shop. You can fit just about anything rear facing back there. The back seat is massive front to back compared to my impreza. I'll post pictures and specifics in probably an hour-hour and a half ish at nap time.

hhhmmm

I've been thinking about a Radian, Truefit mostly but I'm open to anything.....but I don't want a massive seat because we frequently go on 20+ hour trips and need this seat to be on the 25% backseat with the other 75% down. Also, DH is 6'3" and I'm 5'7" so we need a lot of leg room.

Cryssy Jane

Ok, I only had the outback for a day, but these are the seats I tried in it.
rear facing coccoro, rear facing radian.
IMG_4096-1.jpg

rear facing complete air, rear facing coccoro, keyfit with base
IMG_4095-1.jpg

rear racing complete air, rear facing coccoro, rear facing radian (front passengers seat is all the way back)
IMG_4094-1.jpg

The complete air was difficult to install outboard because of the plastic casing to move the seats forward, but was do able. The complete air in the center was an easy install. The radian fit rear facing in any of the three locations with the front seats all the way back. I did have to bring the back of the front seats up one click but could leave the seat part of the front seat pushed all the way back.

NewEngland

I've got a 2011 Outback, so same backseat as the 2010, and you can get ANYTHING back there. Compared to the rest of the Subaru lineup, this car is a dream for carseats.

To add to Cryssy Jane's lineup, you can easily put a Truefit, EFTA (now the Evenflow Triumph 65), or a Scenera back there. The TF is a wide seat, but it will easily fit on the 40% side of the backseat with the 60% side folded down. It's in my car right now just like that, actually. DH is 6' and can easily drive in front of the TF, with room to spare, but I haven't tried him with the others. I'm sure the Scenera would fit behind him, and 99% on the EFTA.

hhhmmm

Thanks. Now that I know they will fit, I think I'm still stuck with the Radian and TF.......do y'all have an opinion on most comfort? I don't think I have found height limits for the TF? What are they if none are listed?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks. Now that I know they will fit, I think I'm still stuck with the Radian and TF.......do y'all have an opinion on most comfort? I don't think I have found height limits for the TF? What are they if none are listed?

The same as other carseats. 1" of shell above the head for rear facing, and when the shoulders are over the top slots or the tips of the ears are going above the top of the shell. Overall height means nothing, since some people are leggy, some have long torsos, regardless of if they're tall or short overall.

The True Fit and Radian are comparable on shoulder and shell height. Depending on the car it's installed in one may be taller than the other, but they're about the same.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Hi! I just found this thread after having some trouble with our Radian 80XTSL in the back of our 2010 Outback and I hope you can help!

We had the Radian installed rear-facing in the middle seat, using the seat belt (there's no LATCH in the middle) but after going to a local car-seat-check with the fire department, they said the seat was reclined way too far back, and when they consulted the manual it apparently says that Subaru doesn't recommend installing a rear-facing seat in the middle due to the way the seat bench is shaped. I think somehow our seat had gradually shifted aft and sort of kicked up (not sure if this makes any sense). The seat is now installed rear-facing behind the passenger but there is NO ROOM for the passenger in front....the seat is ALL the way forward (I'm 5' 1" and I feel squished when riding up front). Our experience obviously just doesn't jive with all the accounts in this thread about there being plenty of leg room so I'm very confused. The seat is now installed using the LATCH, but I SWEAR it is gradually shifting aft and kicking up, just as it had been in the middle. When I look at the shape of the seat bench, it looks uniform all the way across, and I'm feeling like keeping a rear-facing seat at the correct angle is impossible in that back seat. Our daughter is 2.5 and I really want to keep her rear-facing, but not if we can't get a correct install: she may be safer forward-facing with a correct install.

Again, I'm really confused and hope you can help! I don't have a photo at the moment.

Thank you!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your manual does state that, but what it means is that Subaru knows they made an oddly shaped backseat. Provided you can get a good installation in the middle they're fine with it. But rather than word that in the manual they just recommended against it. A phone call will clear that up if you'd like.

Do you have an angle adjuster? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-60320-Radian-Angle-Adjuster/dp/B006I1QTYQ"]Amazon.com: Diono Radian Angle Adjuster: Baby[/ame] That will make your life a lot easier.

I'd probably put her back in the middle if you'd like with the angle adjuster.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Hi! I’m looking for a rear facing car seat to fit behind our driver’s seat for our 2016 Subaru Outback. Our Britax infant car seat was just a little too big so hoping for something less bulky! Thank you!

MelodyoftheForest

This is a great place to start: https://carseatblog.com/22818/the-u...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

If there are other passengers and/or car seats in the back, width is something to consider as well. In general, convertible seats are often more compact than rear facing only seats because they can be more upright.

If you want more specific recommendations, let us know the age, weight, and height of the baby as well as your budget. We are happy to help!

K

Kelsey

Hello, I am looking for a convertible car seat recommendation for our 2016 Subaru Outback. Our baby is 12 months old, 31” and almost 22 lbs. I want her to be RF for as long as possible so am lea I guess towards a seat with high RF limits such as the Diono Radian, but also want the front seats to not be pushed too forward. The car seats all look huge and I’m worried the passenger seat will be in the dash. Along with the Diono, I am considering the Britax One4Life and the Graci 4ever. I have read conflicting posts about the Diono and Britax compatibility with subarus and am just so confused. Wish I could try these in my car before committing to such an expensive dive purchase. Any help is greatly appreciated!

MelodyoftheForest

The 4Ever is pretty compact in my experience, especially since you can have it more upright for a baby the age of yours. Graco's Extend2Fit and 4Ever E2F have a 50 pound RF weight limit if that's important to you. The regular 4Ever has a 40 pound RF limit. Also, keep an eye on whether the particular model you're looking at requires a deeper recline for kids FF under 40 pounds. If it has that limit, be aware that FF before 40 pounds will be difficult in most vehicles.

Diono has so many use requirements that are difficult to keep track of, and can be tough to install, especially FF. I'd avoid it if something else will work, personally.

I haven't played with the Britax, so I don't have any thoughts there.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you are not trying to do 3-across or adjacent car seats, I think either the Graco 4Ever DLX (or 4Ever Extend2Fit) or Britax One4Life should both have a very good chance of installing well in an outboard seating position. If you buy at Amazon or Walmart just make sure it is sold/shipped by them and not a third party seller, then you should get free returns on car seats. Target offers a good free return policy as well.

Feel free to use our links to retailers if you order online! https://www.car-seat.org/threads/2021-recommended-car-seats-list-community-picks.229649/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC