Which child in front seat??

Kdahlmom4

Hi!

I have a car seat question regarding a truck. I have 4 kids and a GMC 2022 Sierra XLT.

I have:
1 year old, 22 lbs, rear facing Graco DLX
3 year old, 32 lbs, rear facing Graco DLX
4.5 year old, 38 lbs, forward facing Diono Radian 5 point harness
6.5 year old, 45 lbs, forward facing Diono Radian 5 point harness

Who sits where?? One will have to go in the front seat, who and in the front middle or front passenger??

Thank you for helping keep my kids safe! I appreciate all advice!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi!
Since your truck won't have a keyed off switch, one of the forward facing kids will need to go there.
Some people would say that the oldest should go there; some would say the smallest/lightest because of head excursion.

Knowing what we do about head excursion in a harness vs a booster, my choice if these were my kids would actually be to move the 6 year old to a dedicated booster seat in the front. Or, if the means are available, I would use a Ride Safer Travel Vest with a Delighter booster for a little bit less forward movement.

As for the center vs outboard- what does your vehicle manual say about putting a child center in that spot?

Kdahlmom4

Hi!
Since your truck won't have a keyed off switch, one of the forward facing kids will need to go there.
Some people would say that the oldest should go there; some would say the smallest/lightest because of head excursion.

Knowing what we do about head excursion in a harness vs a booster, my choice if these were my kids would actually be to move the 6 year old to a dedicated booster seat in the front. Or, if the means are available, I would use a Ride Safer Travel Vest with a Delighter booster for a little bit less forward movement.

As for the center vs outboard- what does your vehicle manual say about putting a child center in that spot?
Thank you so much for that information! It’s very helpful.

I’m having a very hard time finding the information for which center or outboard seating arrangement. Likely due to it all saying in the rear of the car not the front but since I have 4 kids I’m unable to do all rear.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree with @ketchupqueen to try the 6-year old in a booster or ridesafer vest up front first.

It's hard to know how to suggest the 3 in the rear seat without knowing any requirements that may be in your vehicle owner's manual.

If allowed, the easiest might be to try a forward-facing Diono Radian in the center, due to it being narrow and giving you more options on each side. Plus, the 4.5 year old may need the least help with buckling and should be able to climb into the middle seat on their own.

Then, you can try your remaining seats rear-facing on the outboard vehicle seats.

Kdahlmom4

I agree with @ketchupqueen to try the 6-year old in a booster or ridesafer vest up front first.

It's hard to know how to suggest the 3 in the rear seat without knowing any requirements that may be in your vehicle owner's manual.

If allowed, the easiest might be to try a forward-facing Diono Radian in the center, due to it being narrow and giving you more options on each side. Plus, the 4.5 year old may need the least help with buckling and should be able to climb into the middle seat on their own.

Then, you can try your remaining seats rear-facing on the outboard vehicle seats.
Ok! The diono and 2 rear facing fit perfect and not touching in the rear seat. I’m just concerned on which/where/who the kid up front should go!

I appreciate your help!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Ok! The diono and 2 rear facing fit perfect and not touching in the rear seat. I’m just concerned on which/where/who the kid up front should go!

I appreciate your help!

I would start with the oldest child in a booster and/or vest in the outboard front seat, as @ketchupqueen suggested, provided this is not prohibited by the vehicle owner's manual. Without access to the manual for the exact year, model, cab and trim that came with your truck, it is impossible for us to say for certain. For example, the front center seat may not allow booster use if it has only a lap belt. Some center front seats do not allow any type of child restraint to be used there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC