Which booster? And what to use long term lap-belt only position

leighi123

Finally considering getting a booster for Levi, now that he is 8! He is 48" tall, and about 44lbs, long and narrow, long legs, short torso, skinny hips. All his weight is muscle.

Right now he is RF in the MT (yes, still). He was riding FF in an RXT in my bf's car for a month, but we took that seat to my grandma's house where we visit regularly (in NV), where it will stay.

I got him a backless turbo booster for the 10min ride to the airport, and it fit really well but he was TERRIBLE with sitting still with 2 adults next to him reminding him, so I am very nervous about him riding in a booster, he has major lack of impulse control issues (in general). He is constantly moving, I don't know how I could get him to be still in the car for 10min, let alone 2-4 hours when we do trips.

I have the XTSL for now, but it will expire fairly soon. I need something else for bf's car.

So what should I get? Should I get a booster and risk him not sitting still, or get a Nautilus?
I was thinking the parkway b/c of the crotch strap might help him, but I don't like that the pieces come apart easily. I like the Diano booster booster because of the deeper headwings.
Car is a 2007 Subaru, but may also be used in the 2010 honda accura.

Second question: Car in NV has a lap belt only in the center, not TT's. I put him in the RXT there because we had 5 people. Often its just 4 of us and he can go passenger side, but we pick up grandma, or my sister comes.... so what to do long term when the RXT expires or is outgrown? I'm trying to get them to buy a new car, but realistically, the car will be kept until it dies completely. It already needs a new seatbelt on the driver's side (permanently twisted and doesn't retract properly and buckle won't release!). Car is a jeep laredo... 2000 maybe?

ADS

featherhead

I really like how the Parkway fits my 6 year old did who is a similar size. My 8 year old has a Monterey, but I don't like it quite as much. I have the older shoulder belt guides which are further out on the headwings, so it's harder to get the belt centred on her shoulder.

DogznKatz

Cute kid!

As far as the seat belt only car: Do you see that situation changing anytime soon? Look into the EZ on products. The Y harness would require a tether anchor to be added. They will walk you through everything.

aeormsby

Our Parkway is not 'easy' to get apart. You have to forcibly flatten the seat portion down and make sure the notches are aligned and unhook some of the cover elastic before you can slide it apart. It's almost 5 years old but I can't imagine they changed it that much.

I really like the Performance Booster but it's a beast of a seat (although DS has always fit in it well starting when he turned 6 and was probably just over 40lb and less than 48").

leighi123

Our Parkway is not 'easy' to get apart. You have to forcibly flatten the seat portion down and make sure the notches are aligned and unhook some of the cover elastic before you can slide it apart. It's almost 5 years old but I can't imagine they changed it that much.

I really like the Performance Booster but it's a beast of a seat (although DS has always fit in it well starting when he turned 6 and was probably just over 40lb and less than 48").

My friend's parkway falls apart when you pick it up, I never checked it closely so not sure if that is "normal" or not, its the only one I've seen in person.
The performance booster looks so wide to me, Levi is a super narrow kid. I'm not working any nanny jobs now so space isn't an issue in the back seat any more, he will usually be the only one back there.

leighi123

As far as the seat belt only car: Do you see that situation changing anytime soon? Look into the EZ on products. The Y harness would require a tether anchor to be added. They will walk you through everything.

I'm not sure how long that car will "last". It needs work (seatbelt, window is off track, makes a weird sound that might be a belt....) We just put work into it (it was overheating due to a sensor being broken). Its my parents car so its up to them. So far I haven't even been able to convince them to look into getting a TT put in, so not sure if I can get that sorted. They don't think its worth messing with for a car that could die any time. $ is an issue as far as buying a whole new car so they are holding off as long as possible.
We are there 4-6 weeks a year riding in the car daily, but if my sister/grandma are not in the car there is just 4 of us and its not an issue, so it really just depends on the trip. This time we had 6 of us so had to split into 2 cars (grandma has a honda, but her house is 30min from the house at the lake)

a09

I really liked the kiddy world plus for smaller kids. It had great side support and kept them scooted back well bc of the way the bottom was made. It fit everyone I put in it even tiny kids I just was curious about fit with.

DogznKatz

Re: Lap Only.

That's tough if grandparents won't add a top tether. The thing is, and as a CPST you know that you cannot use a belt positioning booster without a lap and shoulder belt. The Y-Harness doesn't have head support behind it, but if just a lap belt was used, your son wouldn't have head support (if he is that tall).

Depending on his torso height, a Britax Frontier (w/harness) would work for a while but you would still need a top tether. If the car is replaced before he outgrows the harness, it can be used as a BPB in a new car. Depending on the vehicle manufacturer, the top tether for a Britax could be installed for free or in the case of Toyota at a minimal cost.

If the front passenger seat has a lap and should belt, you could require your sond to ride in the front witha BPB. Any other passenger in the back would be at risk.

Or you could work it out so that you drive.

You have a tough decision to make.

leighi123

Re: Lap Only.

That's tough if grandparents won't add a top tether. The thing is, and as a CPST you know that you cannot use a belt positioning booster without a lap and shoulder belt. The Y-Harness doesn't have head support behind it, but if just a lap belt was used, your son wouldn't have head support (if he is that tall).

Depending on his torso height, a Britax Frontier (w/harness) would work for a while but you would still need a top tether. If the car is replaced before he outgrows the harness, it can be used as a BPB in a new car. Depending on the vehicle manufacturer, the top tether for a Britax could be installed for free or in the case of Toyota at a minimal cost.

If the front passenger seat has a lap and should belt, you could require your son to ride in the front witha BPB. Any other passenger in the back would be at risk.

Or you could work it out so that you drive.

You have a tough decision to make.

We fly there, so don't have a car other than that one. Grandma can't drive the jeep so can't just trade cars or anything, its the only option until they buy something new (most likely one of the big subarus). Center seat in the jeep does not have an adjustable headrest, and its low, he has height now for sure, but no idea how long that will last.

I can probably convince them to put in a TT for an 86Y, but apparently not for the RXT. Majority of driving is in town, 2 stop lights and max speed of 25mph, so not so risky, but there is snow/ice in the winter, and driving to Reno involves a scary windy mountain road.

Now I'm wondering if it would be better to get a Pioneer, frontier or nautilus, and keep that here until he outgrows the RXT (or until it expires), then at that point send the harnessed seat there, and get him a booster here. That will give him more time harnessed. I don't think I can afford the Frontier though, I was hoping to spend less, though I CAN pay for it, I want to make sure I need to first, I just decided against continuing my nanny job which cuts my income a lot.

I REALLY was hoping to go from rearfacing to booster, but he is a super wiggly kid, I don't know that I trust him to sit still. I think he would be better here (mostly short drives, flat) in a booster than in Tahoe (snow, windy roads, vacation excitement). When he was FF in the RXT, he was paranoid the whole time (he has heard me tell parents "internal decapitation" before when they ask about FF a 1yr old), yet in the booster, 10min drive, he was flailing about, leaning, slouching, messing with the belt, scooting down, it was ridiculous.

leighi123

I really liked the kiddy world plus for smaller kids. It had great side support and kept them scooted back well bc of the way the bottom was made. It fit everyone I put in it even tiny kids I just was curious about fit with.

I like that seat too, especially the purple one! Price is a bit high for what I'd want to spend on a booster.

Also, I have to check if bf's car even has LATCH, the honda he is usually in does not in the center, which is where I'd like to put him. He is outboard in the MT b/c it fits better esp with nanny kids in tow, but because he will be the only kid in the car from now on, I want him in the center, esp in a booster. Same goes for the subaru. So in other words, I don't think we would use LATCH on a booster. Seems the boosters with LATCH tend to run a little big higher in price.
This is the first time I'm really looking at boosters, I very rarely check boosters here, and when I do, its almost always a turbo booster (which I don't really like in particular).

jjordan

My ds is super skinny, similar size to yours. He's right now 47" and about 40#. We love the Recaro performance booster.

a09

I like that seat too, especially the purple one! Price is a bit high for what I'd want to spend on a booster. Also, I have to check if bf's car even has LATCH, the honda he is usually in does not in the center, which is where I'd like to put him. He is outboard in the MT b/c it fits better esp with nanny kids in tow, but because he will be the only kid in the car from now on, I want him in the center, esp in a booster. Same goes for the subaru. So in other words, I don't think we would use LATCH on a booster. Seems the boosters with LATCH tend to run a little big higher in price. This is the first time I'm really looking at boosters, I very rarely check boosters here, and when I do, its almost always a turbo booster (which I don't really like in particular).

Amazon has had them occasionally for 149 in certain colors lately but you kind of have to keep a watch for them. They only have the 'riders club' one in it right now.

christineka

I'd guess the rxt would be outgrown before it expires. I have a plain old radian 80, which doesn't expire till November 2016. An sl seat would be newer.

As for boosters, I love the recaro for my kid. My son is 50 pounds, 50 inches tall and fits beautifully in the recaro. I have the probooster, but the performance booster is even better with latch and a flat bottom.

If head support, the diono monteray is nice, too.

leighi123

I'd guess the rxt would be outgrown before it expires. I have a plain old radian 80, which doesn't expire till November 2016. An sl seat would be newer.

As for boosters, I love the recaro for my kid. My son is 50 pounds, 50 inches tall and fits beautifully in the recaro. I have the probooster, but the performance booster is even better with latch and a flat bottom.

If head support, the diono monteray is nice, too.

I will have to check expiration dates, seems like we have had the seats forever! The RXT is newer than the XTSL, but not by much (RXT was nanny kid's seat, but they left it for me when they moved recently) Levi has a short torso, so does have some growing room height wise (shirt in the pic in my signature is a 4T, pic taken last month)

I've never seen the recaro in person, now I'm thinking I want to see if anyone in my mom's group thing has one so I can try him in it. I didn't really think of it as an option because it looked so wide but sounds like it could still work.

leighi123

For right now, I decided I don't need to DO anything - I have the RF MT in our main car, FF XTSL in bf's car and RXT in jeep in NV.

I'm really not sure if he will be at a point where he can sit still in a booster at the point where he outgrows his seats. I'd hate to buy a harnessed seat for him at 8, but having a hard time trusting him

mping

I would keep booster training. I hate to booster a kid because I HAVE to. I'd want plenty of practice first. Can you rent a car when you're there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BunniesMommy

We are at the same point with DD2. She will be 7 in Oct. I told her she can move to a booster when she turns 7. We are going on the longest road trip we have ever taken and will get back just a few days before her birthday. Due to her impulse control, or I should say lack of, I have not been ready to have her in a booster. She has been asking for quite some time and has been in one once a week or so when with MIL. She does need reminders to sit right, but does correct once reminded. She has also ridden in backless boosters here and there when needed because of the car service reasons.

The Parkway is just too big in my car, I had tried it with DD1 and it couldn't adjust nearly as far up as it should be able to because of the curve and lowness of the ceiling. In the short time we had it, I didn't notice any falling apart, I would double check your friend's seat and see if there is a problem with it.

I have narrowed ours down to the Graco Affix or the Evenflo Pro Comfort Amp, not sure which it will be yet, love the idea of LATCH, since DD1 often forgets to buckle her booster and DH and I forget to remind her, but the Evenflo seems so comfy. Pretty sure she is bigger than Levi, but the Amp does seem to fit smaller kids great just like the TBs do.

I hope you can come up with a good solution to the car with the lap belt.

Athena

My friend's parkway falls apart when you pick it up, I never checked it closely so not sure if that is "normal" or not, its the only one I've seen in person.

I have both the 2012 and 2013 versions and I'm having trouble imagining how they could fall apart. I guess if it wasn't clicked in properly, the back could fall down, but that doesn't normally happen and considering one has to completely slide one piece out of the other all the way to the side (unlike the turbo/affix), I can't imagine how it could fall apart.

I would think it might be a good fit on him and it sounds like you'd like the nice, deep sides of the latest version. HTH.

You no longer have to unhook fabric, otherwise the same design. I agree, it takes effort to put them together or take them apart. In fact, I find it takes an annoying amount of effort when I'm tired. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC