Question which 3 in 1? - Canada

U

Unregistered

Hi, I want a 3 in 1 for my 3 1/2 years old, why a 3 in 1 because I want one that has a slight recline when FF and good headwings because we often need him to nap or sleep in the car for a few hours when we go on vacations. Now I have the Evenflo Symphony, I really like it and he's comfortable to sleep in it but I read that this seat does not last long in terms of kids height. I need a seat that will last long because my son is very small (6th percentile in weight (28 pounds now at 3 1/2, 10th percentile in height) so it will take time until he reaches 40 pounds to be in booster mode. Now I have the option of giving the Symphony to my younger baby (14 months) and buy a new one to my son. Would the Diono Radian RXT be a better option (will fit longer with harnest and will be able to use it as booster?) or is it the same as the Symphony?

Remember that I'm looking at those 2 seats because of good head wings to sleep and the head part is not more forward than the back part like a lot of seats (like the Graco Nautilus, which I have in the other car, I love it but not for sleeping, the head is too forward and falls).

Also, I have the Safety 1st Alpha Omega in our second car, if we ignore the sleeping argument does it have a better range to be harnested longer?

Thank you for you help!

P.S. For the Symphony, it says up to 127 cm with harnest, but in your expert opinion, what's the real average height (or average age for tiny kids) at which a kid outgrows the harnest?

According to this, my 6th percentile son should reach the 50 inches (127 cm) limit at age 9, so he should never outgrow the Symphony right?

laurenkateblake.wordpress.com/2012/...

The one other thing I'm scared might be a problem is the neck space between the two shoulder straps, it'S narrower than most car seats non? My son already complains it hurts the sides of his neck, I have to pull his t-shirt up to protect him, will it be worst when he gets bigger (and so his neck) am I the only one with this problem?

ADS

featherhead

Re: which 3 in 1?

Children outgrow the Symphony quickly because the harness straps do not adjust very high. The straps must come from above the child's shoulders (or right at the shoulders) for forward facing. So once the child's shoulders go above the harness it is outgrown. The Diono seats are not at all reclined when forward-facing, so I don't think you would be happy with them. You should look at the Britax Frontier. My children slept in them very well. I used to have a Nautilus as well, and they could not sleep well in that seat. Their heads would hang down, and it would wake them up. The straps on the Britax Frontier adjust nice and high, making it one of the longest lasting harnessed seats.

U

Unregistered

Also, you think even though my son is small he will outgrow the Symphony before 40 pounds?
Posted via Mobile Device

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thank you.

What about the Pioneer?
Posted via Mobile Device

The pioneer is close to the same seat as the Frontier but lacking the clicktight install and the ex-buckle. My opinion is that the Frontier is worth the extra cost for the clicktight feature alone. We don't have a need to swap our seats between vehicles but find there are always reasons to uninstall. Our child went with a relative the other day so a seat needed to go with her, to vacuum your vehicle, when taking into the shop for service (we leave seats at home as we've had them uninstalled and reinstalled by dealers before), etc. To reinstall is literally under 30 seconds (then another 30 seconds for the top tether).

And the ez-buckle is a nice convenience feature. It makes it so the crotch strap doesn't get stuck under the kid when they get in.

That being said, if budget is a concern, the Pioneer is still a fine seat. They did previously have a lower top harness height so you'd want to make sure you got a newer one. Maybe someone else remembers the date change on that? I realize your 3 year olds not need the higher harness height, but good to have in case you hand it down or sell it at any point.

Oh, looks like the Frontier also boosters for a seated height 1" taller and 10 pounds more. Again, that may not matter to you.

walnutgold

I would say the Pioneer would be a good bet! Maybe find a cheaper seat with wider set straps for your son? That way when he outgrows it your daughter will be ready to use a booster full time. The Pioneer isn't a 3-in-1 seat but with a 23" top belt guide it can actually get many kids to the point where they are 5 stepping! The Evenflo SureRide would be a good bet if you wanted a long lasting convertible for under $100 for your son.
Posted via Mobile Device

U

Unregistered

Ok but now someone told me that as a booster (with seat belt) the Frontier/Pioneer was only good for big and Tall kids! Is that true? that means this seat would be good for my son to be harnest longer but then not good as a booster?

lgenne

(The Sureride isn't under $100 in Canada. But it is a whole lot cheaper than anything else we're talking about, and will definitely get him to 40 pounds. And my kids love it.)

U

Unregistered

What about the Nautilus compared to Symphony. Would one outgrow the harnest at the same time in both seat or does the Nautilus have a higher height limit harnest? The specs are the same no? But in practice?
Posted via Mobile Device

elsie5

I guess my question is, is it also possible that my son outgrows his Nautilus in harnest before he's 40 # like the Symphony or is it less likely with the Nautilus?
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Nautilus has 18.5" top slots as opposed to the 17" on the Symphony. Most kids will be over 40 lbs before outgrowing the Nautilus in harness mode. There is the issue mentioned above with head slump. But it's a reasonable choice for most kids to get to booster use, though very long torsoed kids may benefit from a higher harness height.

The Harmony Defender is also 18.5". the Evenflo combination seats are 18". The SureRide is 19". The Pioneer and Frontier are 20.5".

elsie5

Ok. So I think I'm almost becoming a cr seat expert now! But not quite yet because there is one thing that I don't understand, and this is just a question out of curiosity... it's about Height limits for FF seats...
So, if I take the example of the Evenflow symphony, the Specs say the Height limit of child for FF with harnest is 50". And everyone says that kids will outgrow this seat (and other similar seats) by height before they are ready for booster. But If I look at growth charts, 50" tall for an average boy is 8 years old, and even for a 97 percentile boy, it's 6.5 years old....I don't understand....

featherhead

Ok. So I think I'm almost becoming a cr seat expert now! But not quite yet because there is one thing that I don't understand, and this is just a question out of curiosity... it's about Height limits for FF seats...

So, if I take the example of the Evenflow symphony, the Specs say the Height limit of child for FF with harnest is 50". And everyone says that kids will outgrow this seat (and other similar seats) by height before they are ready for booster. But If I look at growth charts, 50" tall for an average boy is 8 years old, and even for a 97 percentile boy, it's 6.5 years old....I don't understand....

Standing height limit is only one component of height. The other is the height of the harness straps. Remember the straps must be at or above the shoulders for forward-facing, so once the shoulders are hire than the level of the straps, the seat is outgrown. If the harness straps only go to 16 or 17 inches high, it's not going to last nearly as long as a seat with straps that go to 19 or 20 inches high. My daughter is four, around 37 lbs and maybe 40". She would outgrow the Symphony very soon because the harness does not go very high.

elsie5

I see, so basically, ignore the child height limits...
I wonder hiw the car seat companies come up with thise numbers... maybe they test with kids with very short torsos and super long legs....

featherhead

I see, so basically, ignore the child height limits...
I wonder hiw the car seat companies come up with thise numbers... maybe they test with kids with very short torsos and super long legs....

Well, not exactly ignore them. They are still important. A lot of the time a child will outgrow the seat before reaching the height limit, but not always. If you have a seat with a tall harness, and a child with a short torso and long legs, they might reach the standing height limit before being too tall for the harness.

U

Unregistered

Children outgrow the Symphony quickly because the harness straps do not adjust very high. The straps must come from above the child's shoulders (or right at the shoulders) for forward facing. So once the child's shoulders go above the harness it is outgrown. The Diono seats are not at all reclined when forward-facing, so I don't think you would be happy with them. You should look at the Britax Frontier. My children slept in them very well. I used to have a Nautilus as well, and they could not sleep well in that seat. Their heads would hang down, and it would wake them up. The straps on the Britax Frontier adjust nice and high, making it one of the longest lasting harnessed seats.

Other than the price, does the Nautilus have any advantages over the Frontier (better booster? Better for smaller kids). I have a Nautilus but I saw an opportunity for the Frontier and I'm thinking about it unless I hear points torwards the Nauti...

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Other than the price, does the Nautilus have any advantages over the Frontier (better booster? Better for smaller kids). I have a Nautilus but I saw an opportunity for the Frontier and I'm thinking about it unless I hear points torwards the Nauti...

The Nautilus is probably a more reliable belt fit in booster mode, but any booster kind of is until you try it in your car with your child. Booster fit is ALL about how the seat belt fits. The Nautilus also becomes a backless but by the time you get to that stage chances are high you will want an inexpensive backless. My oldest actually hates using any booster with gaps at the back intended for attachment of a high back. But, to each his or her own!

The Nautilus has a single tether strap versus the V-shape of the Britax. Sometimes that makes for an easier fit in some vehicles. Some kids are prone to head slump in the Nautilus when they are sleeping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC